Forums Latest Members
  1. Passover Nov 5, 2017

Hi,
    just started to take a closer look at those ones and would be greatful for some hints concerning dials especially lettering:

[​IMG]

This one looks surprisingly pristine, some minor dimples at 2 and 3 o`clock, Is it a redial?

How about the both "S" in Seamaster, is that the correct font?

Found this picture with a different font

[​IMG]

Otherwise there is a very good boxed "A" in "Automatic"

Date window frame could be wrong...

Ref. 166.003, Movement 562, 23..... (1966)

Complete listing can be found here:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/LOVELY-VINTAGE-1964-OMEGA-166-003-SEAMASTER-CALIBER-562/272911331186?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

At early Constellations you use the (in most caes imaginary) axis between "12" and "6" to look at the proportions of signs and lettering.

Does that apply for Seamasters also? Omega sign could be out of that line

Is that one a buy?

Looking foreward to your comments at this rainy afternoon,

Christoph

Edited Nov 5, 2017
    noelekal likes this.
  2. ChrisN Nov 5, 2017

Hi Christoph

I assume you read this as it's a big help - thanks @ConElPueblo.

I don't think you've done too badly here. Here's one on this site from a long established member - have a look at the fonts, case and so on and see if you think yours is a good one. I'm not sure about the crown being absolutely correct but, it is signed. I suspect this will finish at £500+. Let's see if anyone else has a comment.

Regardless of what is said in the advert, the cracked crystal should be replaced for water resistance. Also, you'll see in the movement and case back photo the areas I've marked in red where the rotor has been rubbing on the caseback. I don't like the bridge colour marked in green as it also looks like the rotor has been rubbing there.He says it's not serviced so I doubt it's been corrected. This is fixable with a service and new rotor bush (at least) so, expect to pay some money for that. To be honest, virtually all these eBay watches need a service.
    s-l1600.jpg

Good luck, Chris

Passover likes this.
  3. Noddyman Nov 5, 2017

Hi Christoph,
    It looks like you have picked out a good one here. Cosmetically it’s in good shape and with exception of the crystal I can’t see any issues. As above I am not sure if the crown is correct for this ref. - it could be. It will need a service but you should factor that into your costs anyway. The 562 is a great movement and capable of incredible accuracy for a 60’s watch.
    Good luck if you decide to bid.

Passover likes this.
  4. Edward53 Nov 5, 2017

The crown is definitely a replacement. This case is semi-recessed and the correct narrow crown is difficult to hand wind, hence you often see these with much bigger crowns like this one. More practical but less elegant.

Passover, ChrisN and Noddyman like this.
  5. doog Nov 5, 2017

Nothing wrong with the Seamaster ‘S’. The last iterations of the ‘coat hanger S’ we’re in ‘61 if I remember correctly so this is fine for its date. These sixties dials seem to last very well, so it’s quite possible that this is an untouched survivor, if it’s been re-dialed I can’t see any obvious tells. Pity the crystal is cracked because it’s a correct Omega one, but for peace of mind it has to be replaced. A bit of damage to the underside of a couple of the lugs, and the crown is wrong but other than that it’s a solid example. Once it’s had a new rotor bearing, crown and crystal, give it regular servicing that’ll be good for another 50 odd years.

Passover likes this.
  6. WatchWarlock Nov 5, 2017

Looks good, dial has not been redialed. The replacement crown can be left as-is or a correct one shouldn't be too difficult to find. Great thing about vintage Omegas are that the parts are generally available.

Passover likes this.
  7. Passover Nov 7, 2017

Thanks to everyone who contributed here

8. Tacket Nov 7, 2017

Love the looks of these!

9. Georgieboy58 Nov 7, 2017

The seller is a "member in good standing" of this forum, @michael e

10. ChrisN Nov 9, 2017

Went for 623 GBP. Seems like a fair deal as it comes from someone well known and looks pretty good. Did anyone here buy it (or from the other thread?)?

Cheers, Chris

11. Vicke Nov 9, 2017

Tried to, but I was not the lucky winner this time :(

Edited Nov 9, 2017
  12. Passover Nov 10, 2017

Thanks to everyone

13. Passover Nov 10, 2017

Hi, i bought it, watch is on the way to its new home in Germany. Sorry Vicke!
    Hearing that the seller has a good reputation at OF is reassuring for me.
    Have a nice weekend,
    Christoph

ChrisN and Lucasssssss like this.
  14. Vicke Nov 10, 2017

Congrats, hope you like it and it’s as nice as it seemed from the pictures.
    If ever get sell thoughts, you know where to turn ;)

Edited Nov 10, 2017
  15. Passover Nov 22, 2017

Hi Vicke, came across another 166.003 in quite good condition :) maybe you like it...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Vintage-OMEG...994811?hash=item3af82ff1bb:g:ugMAAOSwYc5aEn9zPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

16. Vicke Nov 22, 2017

Tnx, I'll have a look....