Forums Latest Members
  1. toocustom Jul 22, 2015

Hey friends,

Glad to be here. I am in my late 20's but have been collecting watches in some form or another for as long as I can remember. Last year my grandmother was going through her old jewelry. I didn't really think twice about it but at some point she called me over. As I sat down at the table I saw a few bags with watches in them. Naturally this peaked my interest. Mostly ladies watches but then I saw it wrapped in a plastic ziploc bag. My great grandfather's (her father) Omega. Trying to contain my excitement I very casually asked "hey can I have this?" And with out hesitation she said sure.

As soon as I picked it up it started ticking. The auto movement seemed to be fully functional. The watch was a little dirty and the crown was bit gunked up but nothing a little cleaning couldn't take care of. I assume he purchased it in the late 60's early 70's and wore it for some time. Probably until he purchased the quartz Seiko (80's?) I found with it that was totally destroyed. He passed away when I was just a toddler so it probably went into a drawer sometime around that point and has stayed there for the last 25 years with out so much as a shake, nonetheless a servicing. Plus, who knows how often he had it serviced himself. Based on it's condition I wouldn't be surprised if it never had a service once in it's life.

That's my story. It was on a old, nasty Speidel watch band but I recently I purchased a decent leather strap for it. I can't seem to find a whole bunch of info on this model. I have seen photos of many similar but only one with the same SS case, dial, date and black filled markers and hands. Any info you guys could give me on a date range and reference number would be absolutely awesome! It looks like on this one the top half of the case comes off and then I'm thinking you would have to remove the dial somehow to see the caseback and serial which I don't really intend to do myself.

Also, the watch seems to be running very strong. Just picking it up get's the movement going and the seconds ticking. I am thinking a service might be in order but I would hate for any of the original parts to be replaced and left with some frankenstein watch. Any advice you guys could give would be really appreciated and any info as well. I would love to learn more about this fantastic heirloom.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Davidt likes this.
  2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jul 22, 2015

Classic Seamaster De Ville from the earlier 60s, probably power by a cal 562, 563, or 565 movement, depending on production date. The case is in good shape with the chamfers on th lugs still sharp by the look of it. It will probably be a moncoque Case (1 piece) where the movement is accessed from the front of the watch rather than the back.

Haviing been instorage for a long time, it would be in the best interests of the watch to not have it going until you have the movement cleaned and oiled. Oil migrates and hardens over time and wearing it could cause serious wear to the movement.

Great discovery, that with an occasional service will last well into the next...and the next..generations

Cheers

Desmond

toocustom likes this.
  3. toocustom Jul 22, 2015

Thanks for the response! I think you are absolutely correct about the case Desmond. I only see a fine separation line in the case above the lugs and just under the dial. I will take your advice about getting it serviced before wearing. I definitely don't want to cause any damage here. Any clue on where I would take it, to an AD? I live in Los Angeles.

4. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jul 22, 2015

I would avoid ADs like the plague as they usually recommend sending these vintage pieces to Bienne for an expensive and not necessary sympathetic refurbishment.

I would source an independent watchmaker who knows his way around vintage Omegas for the service. Dalton Toledo at Watchworks, 635 S.Hill Street #406 Los Angeles, has a good rep, judging by comments I've received over the years.

Cheers

Desmond

toocustom likes this.
  5. davidswiss Jul 22, 2015

Very nice. It's the same model I bought new in 1970 in Johannesburg and the lost overboard when sailing off Durban in 1985. In between it had travelled to UK, Switzerland, Saudi and Zambia giving good service. Good watch with a good movement. Look after it.

toocustom likes this.
  6. toocustom Jul 23, 2015

Good to know, and thanks very much for the info. I'll follow up with Dalton as well. Really appreciate the advice!

Thanks so much. That's too bad. I will!

7. TNTwatch Jul 23, 2015

Nice heirloom in nice shape! Ref. number should be 166.020, made in first half of the 60s. The serial number on the movement would tell a more specific year range though. Does the date change when you pull the crown all the way out?

upload_2015-7-23_14-12-34.png

toocustom likes this.
  8. toocustom Jul 23, 2015

Wow, great thanks! Yes it absolutely changes the date that way. Took me a bit to figure that out as I am used to the (now) more common 1st position date change.

9. TNTwatch Jul 23, 2015

So it has the 563/565 movement which was a bit later than the 562. Just get the crystal polished or replaced along with the movement serviced and you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it.