Forums Latest Members
  1. TexasKevin Dec 31, 2013

As my Omega addiction has grown, I'm interested in fixing up an older purchase. I've had a vintage bumper for about 10 years, got it on eBay for $25 back then (wish prices were that low now).

I wear it now and again but the plastic (crystal) is really scratched up so it's not pretty. Also about a month ago the crown fell off, while wearing and I have no idea where it was lost. Up until that point it kept time really well for being over 60 years old.
    What sounds like a reasonable price to pay for crystal and crown for something that old? My worry is paying more for repairing it than the watch is actually worth in repaired condition. I'm pretty sure there isn't anyone locally to repair one (Omaha, NE), any recommendations on a reputable place to send it to?

I finally opened it up a week ago and found out what it is, 342 movement, and previous owner scratched into the inside of the case their initials, and a date in 1955. So now I know the year on it.

2. ulackfocus Dec 31, 2013

OEM crystals cost under $40, and depending on the style crowns run $25 - $45-ish.

If you want any more information you have to post a picture or two.

TexasKevin likes this.
  3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Dec 31, 2013

Sounds like it has not been serviced in years. I would have it serviced and have a new crystal installed. It will not cost more than the watch is worth (unless its a total mess - which we cannot tell without pictures).

4. TexasKevin Dec 31, 2013

Good point, thanks! Wish I had a better picture of the face, will try later after work. For now, one I still had on my phone of the inside and one poor one of the front. 486448_10200167594805681_635009640_n.jpg 20131209_095018.jpg

5. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Dec 31, 2013

Just judging from the pictures you have, the value of the watch should easily justify the service. Have the watch serviced+ crown + crystal and you will have a beauty!

TexasKevin likes this.
  6. Mothra Dec 31, 2013

The initials and date are probably watchmakers marks, not traces of the most hamfisted owner of all time...:)

7. ulackfocus Dec 31, 2013

Beat me to it. Looks like your serial number is either in the 13 million range, making it from 1952 / 53, or the 12 million range making it from 1950 / 51 which would make a little more sense. It could be originally bought in 1955 though.

TexasKevin likes this.
  8. TexasKevin Jan 6, 2014

Sorry for the long delay in doing more pics, and rebumping a now old post. Here are a few more, of the crown area, the face, and the possible traces of the most hamfisted owner ever or watchmaker marks on the inside of the case.
    Anyone have recommendations on where I could find someone who can service and repair this? I'm in Omaha, NE. If there is no local, a good place that does work over the internet/through the mail?
    Thanks for all the help.
    face.jpg crown.jpg caseback.jpg

9. heman By the Power of Greyskull! Jan 6, 2014

Ooo that's a nice little bumper. Yup, definitely get it serviced, replace the crystal, and find a crown.

Should look really really good after that

10. Mothra Jan 6, 2014

I take back. It does look like that caseback was attacked by a five year old with a diamond tipped crayon. I think you were right about the hamfisted owner!

TexasKevin likes this.
  11. John R Smith Jan 7, 2014

At least whoever did it, did it on the inside . . .

SpikiSpikester likes this.