New here, new to Omega watches

I am seriously looking at purchasing an Omega Seamaster tomorrow.
Asking price is $4900 used.
Black face/bezel
Steel band
Date at 3:00
Burled walnut box + papers

1. Thoughts on price?
2. Any idea on age? The Omega history shows the dates at 3:00 around 2002
3. Any personal thoughts or recommendations?

It looks great on my wrist, size is appropriate, and feels superb.

Thank you.

I am seriously looking at purchasing an Omega Seamaster tomorrow.
Asking price is $4900 used.
Black face/bezel
Steel band
Date at 3:00
Burled walnut box + papers

1. Thoughts on price?
2. Any idea on age? The Omega history shows the dates at 3:00 around 2002
3. Any personal thoughts or recommendations?

It looks great on my wrist, size is appropriate, and feels superb.

Thank you.
IMG_20231020_1519059.jpg

I agree with dsio, that is way, way, way too expensive. You can get the current generation model for Mid 3s.

As far as a "burled Walnut box," iis that what the seller told you? Do you have a picture?

Great watch but way overpriced at $4900. Should be in the $3k ballpark.

IMG_7102.jpeg
IMG_7158.jpeg

I agree with dsio, that is way, way, way too expensive. You can get the current generation model for Mid 3s.

As far as a "burled Walnut box," iis that what the seller told you? Do you have a picture?

The ebay link in the 2nd post has a representative box in the listing. I do not know (nor was it claimed) to be a "burled walnut box". I surmised that as an attempt to describe it for those more knowledgeable here. Trying to give some more detail to hopefully allow an approximate "date".

Appreciate the replies, it is all helpful.

Great watch but way overpriced at $4900. Should be in the $3k ballpark.

IMG_7102.jpeg
IMG_7158.jpeg

Thank you.
Great looking watch.
This would be my most expensive watch I would own, and "used" seems like a good option for me. Especially in the $3k approximate range.
Been looking at getting a watch in this "range" and ruled out Rolex as a bit too ostentatious for my daily dress and the number of fakes out there has me quite concerned about that brand.

"Thought" I wanted a Grand Seiko, but saw this one and I liked it a lot. Tried it on and it really felt good. Started researching Omega Sea Masters and was confused on when the date moved location from 3:00 to 6:00. Trying to be as "informed" as possible if I stop back in to discuss a purchase price.

Regarding the Omega SeaMaster, are there any particular things to "verify" it is authentic? Being sold at a Jewelry store, I suspect it legit, but it would be nice to "know" what I was looking at.
Edited:

The ebay link in the 2nd post has a representative box in the listing. I do not know (nor was it claimed) to be a "burled walnut box". I surmised that as an attempt to describe it for those more knowledgeable here. Trying to give some more detail to hopefully allow an approximate "date".

Ok, that makes me feel better. Burl is a pretty specific thing, and if it was something a seller was saying it would be... interesting.

Regarding the Omega Sea Master, are there any particular things to "verify" it is authentic? Being sold at a Jewelry store, I suspect it legit, but it would be nice to "know" what I was looking at.

You can post pictures to this thread- most of the fakes out there aren't great and have a number of quick tells. If you're purchasing through ebay, I've yet to hear of a fake Seamaster of this type getting through their authenticators (and again, you can share pictures). From a jewelry store, especially a respected one, I'd be pretty comfortable.

Last thing- the 2500D movement is a 25,200bph movement. as far as I am aware (and someone would have to correct me if I'm wrong) there aren't any fakes that share this beat count. So- you could download something like "Watch Accuracy Meter" to your phone and let it listen to the watch for a minute. It's easily capable of identifying the bph of a watch (and in my experience hasn't been innacurate on at least that part of listening to a watch).

I'd like someone else to chime in on this last point though, there could be a 7 ticks per second fake out there I'm not aware of.

As the owner of a large range of Omega boxes from 50s models to current, I can tell you the boxes are pretty uniformly cheap rubbish. The walnut one I think you’re talking about was briefly used as a stopgap due to the red pleather ones peeling and staining too much until they developed the new push button wooden box.

They’re not worth much and just gather dust in your closet, which is a good thing as if you handle them too much they fall apart.

The watches themselves are excellent though.

As the owner of a large range of Omega boxes from 50s models to current, I can tell you the boxes are pretty uniformly cheap rubbish. The walnut one I think you’re talking about was briefly used as a stopgap due to the red pleather ones peeling and staining too much until they developed the new push button wooden box.

They’re not worth much and just gather dust in your closet, which is a good thing as if you handle them too much they fall apart.

The watches themselves are excellent though.
Truly appreciate your help.

Ok, that makes me feel better. Burl is a pretty specific thing, and if it was something a seller was saying it would be... interesting.

You can post pictures to this thread- most of the fakes out there aren't great and have a number of quick tells. If you're purchasing through ebay, I've yet to hear of a fake Seamaster of this type getting through their authenticators (and again, you can share pictures). From a jewelry store, especially a respected one, I'd be pretty comfortable.

Last thing- the 2500D movement is a 25,200bph movement. as far as I am aware (and someone would have to correct me if I'm wrong) there aren't any fakes that share this beat count. So- you could download something like "Watch Accuracy Meter" to your phone and let it listen to the watch for a minute. It's easily capable of identifying the bph of a watch (and in my experience hasn't been innacurate on at least that part of listening to a watch).

I'd like someone else to chime in on this last point though, there could be a 7 ticks per second fake out there I'm not aware of.
Thank you. This is the Seamaster I am considering.
IMG_20231020_1519059~2.jpg
Edited:

My research indicates this likely is a 2017 model...
based on the box used, the lack of waves on the dial, the location of the date @ 3:00, the Red Seamaster under Omega, etc. and compared to other 2017 models for sale on line. Around $2600 seems to be the selling price.

Many thanks for the replies.

If it's more than five years old or so, and doesn't have any documentation regarding a recent service by a competent watch repairer, you should budget for a complete service to bring it up to spec, especially for a watch designed to be very water resistant.

My research indicates this likely is a 2017 model...
based on the box used, the lack of waves on the dial, the location of the date @ 3:00, the Red Seamaster under Omega, etc. and compared to other 2017 models for sale on line. Around $2600 seems to be the selling price.

Many thanks for the replies.

Produced from 2012 until its replacement. Hard to say on the box, very few of the red boxes have survived afaiaa. Could be from later though.

https://watchcharts.com/watch_model/16-omega-seamaster-diver-300m-212-30-41-20-01-003/overview

Screenshot_20231020_213157_Brave.jpg

Very nice model and the caliber 2500D is a proven, reliable, accurate workhorse. Some folks prefer the other models in the series with the "waves" dial, but to me this model is the most attractive with its ceramic no waves dial and the beautiful hippocampus engraving on the case back. It's also a bit smaller and a bit thinner than the current model which makes it more wearable in my opinion. If there is any downside to it - and this is true of the current model as well - it's that the sapphire crystal has an AR (anti-reflective) coating on both sides of the crystal. The coating on the exterior of the crystal can pick up scratches if you're not somewhat careful with the watch and if that happens, you either have to live with the scratches, replace the crystal (not cheap) or remove the exterior AR coating altogether. Some folks also don't care for the non-tapered bracelet, but that is a classic design feature of this model as is the helium escape valve. As others have said, you should be able to pick up a used model in the $2,800-$3,200 range and you should budget for a full service if the watch hasn't been serviced in the last 5-7 years.
Edited:

If it's more than five years old or so, and doesn't have any documentation regarding a recent service by a competent watch repairer, you should budget for a complete service to bring it up to spec, especially for a watch designed to be very water resistant.
Thank you. Very helpful.
I will evaluate accordingly.

Very nice model and the caliber 2500D is a proven, reliable, accurate workhorse. Some folks prefer the other models in the series with the "waves" dial, but to me this model is the most attractive with its ceramic no waves dial and the beautiful hippocampus engraving on the case back. It's also a bit smaller and a bit thinner than the current model which makes it more wearable in my opinion. If there is any downside to it - and this is true of the current model as well - it's that the sapphire crystal has an AR (anti-reflective) coating on both sides of the crystal. The coating on the exterior of the crystal can pick up scratches if you're not somewhat careful with the watch and if that happens, you either have to live with the scratches, replace the crystal (not cheap) or remove the exterior AR coating altogether. Some folks also don't care for the non-tapered bracelet, but that is a classic design feature of this model as is the helium escape valve. As others have said, you should be able to pick up a used model in the $2,800-$3,200 range and you should budget for a full service if the watch hasn't been serviced in the last 5-7 years.
Excellent information and advice. I also like the dial without the waves. Having tried it on, it simply "felt" at home and comfortable on my wrist.

Thank you.