Forums Latest Members
  1. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jan 11, 2013

Hi,

I posted my intro in the Modern Omega section last night. I'll be spending more time here in Vintage though so by way of introduction I'd just like to "show & tell" my latest purchase a 105-012-65 that arrived on Sunday.

I took it to a watchmaker yesterday as I couldn't get the caseback off myself. I was pretty sure it was a 105-012-65 from the double edged caseback but having looked around the last few days there are 105-012-64's and even 63's out there so I wanted to check.

I had to take pictures and look at them full screen to be able to read the movement number which is in the 24 million so, without going back to the tables, this would seem right.

The other thing that digital photos show up is all of the dirt that gets missed on the initial wipe over, so I apologise for that. It also highlights that a good going over with the polywatch is in order before attempting any 'pretty' photoshoots.

So here's plenty of good, honest, 'dining table' snaps.
    $T2eC16V,!y8E9s2fjtksBQgdOS,HDg~~60_12.JPG SAM_3219.JPG SAM_3221.JPG SAM_3233.JPG SAM_3235.JPG SAM_3239.JPG SAM_3243.JPG SAM_3244.JPG SAM_3247.JPG SAM_3253.JPG SAM_3257.JPG SAM_3259.JPG

[Off Topic - If anyone has any tips or links to threads recommending photo editing prior to upload I'd appreciate it. I'm on a borrowed laptop at the moment and can't rotate the 'portrait' shots I took. I'd also normally crop these in photobucket but hopefully there's a way of cropping myself?]

I think most of those pictures speak for themselves. I might come back and edit in little comments if necessary.

To say I'm very happy with this one would be an understatement. Just about everything you could possible wish for appears to be there.

Always happy to hear comments though. It's paid for and in my possession (to stay) but feel free to be as brutal as you like.

The one thing I really am looking for help on is some small engraving on the back of the bottom crown side lug. Looks like B5215. Any ideas?
    SAM_3255.JPG

Thanks for looking.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    If I can offer any assistance from my limited knowledge then please feel free to ask.

All the best

Ian

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Jan 11, 2013

Chocolate with a dot over 90 - the Speedy guys are gonna luv that!

3. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jan 11, 2013

Thanks Dennis,

I think "Chocolate" may be stretching it a bit but I'm delighted with this one.

The 1506 bracelet and #16 endlinks on this one were a real bonus. There are 8x flat links on either side plus 6x and 4x expanding links. I think this means I'm only missing 2x expanding links all up.
    I'll have to remove 2x expanding links from either side to get it to fit me. There is a "how to" on the old-Omegas website. I'll try to take some photo's myself, unless I get too cross.

The other query I had was the crown and pushers. I think the crown is original as it has 24x ridges but wouldn't have a clue about measuring the pushers.
    Is there another 'tell'?

I was going to hold out for my 105-003 before using this JB Champion mesh but couldn't resist this opportunity. There are definitely some new skills to master trying to fix it to your wrist for the first time.
    SAM_3275.JPG SAM_3280.JPG

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

I like it. Looks in good shape and original. Get your self a basic Photoshop Elements, you should be able to pick it up for free somewhere.

5. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

Very nice - congratulations ! ::love::

6. richardew Jan 13, 2013

Nice watch! Be careful with the JB Champion Mesh. I've had it scratch the watch crystal numerous times when releasing the clasp and taking it off.

7. richardew Jan 13, 2013

I've got the pusher measurements downstairs and I'll post them later once I get up and about later this morning.

8. Steve Jan 13, 2013

Very nice. :thumbsup:

9. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jan 13, 2013

Thanks Richard. And cheers for the tip re the JB. They're certainly different.

I know you've got heaps of information. Do you have the list of NASA watches with all the movement numbers? Found it last week but my google skills have escaped me this weekend. I know I'm miles away from Armstrong's but it would be interesting to see if I'm close to any of the others. :cool:

Any thoughts on that "B5215" engraved on the back of my lug? I've got vague memories of someone having something similar once but googling "Speedmaster", "lugs", "engraved/ing" turns up a million results. :rolleyes:

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 13, 2013

NASA Speedmaster Serial.jpg

Emeister likes this.
  11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 13, 2013

What are your concerns about your 5.0mm pushers. They are correct for your watch, Here is the Ofrei info
    ome086st0059.jpg

12. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jan 13, 2013

I knew the sizes changed over the years. My concern was more about my ability to measure something that small accurately enough to check.
    Glad to hear they're correct. And from the look of above if they ever needed replacing at service then they are still available. Though if it's possible to retain the originals and have the seals replaced then I presume that would be the preferred option.

Thanks too for the table above :thumbsup:

13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 13, 2013

I know of folks changing out the internals, spring, bolt, o-rings (not visable in Ofrei picture) washers (not visible), but it is best to replace these just like you would a worn movement part. Their smooth and proper function is important and you can of course save the old parts with any others in a little ziplock to go with the watch for provenance.