Forums Latest Members
  1. Maury Mar 29, 2016

Hi All,
    I'm very glad I found this community. You all seem friendly and knowledgeable.

When I inherited this watch from my father, I had no idea Omega made so many styles and kinds of watches. OMG!

The watch was a gift of state to my dad from the King of Bahrain, given during one of his visits negotiating Bahrain's inclusion in Comsat's Intelsat Consortium in the mid-70s.

It's not my style, and the band is too small for me, so I have decided to sell it. It was my dad's though, so I wanted to learn all I could about it before I let it go.

Here's what I know:
    1. The case and band appear to be 18K gold, in a fine, brushed finish. The watch weighs 100 grams.
    2. The dial is gold matte, with diamonds at all the number positions. The bezel around the crystal is very finely knurled in a radial pattern.
    3. The hour and minute hands are black, and the second hand is gold.
    4. It runs, but I'm not sure if it's self-winding, or you wind the crown. The crown has an Omega symbol on it.
    5. On the dial it has the Omega symbol, then the word "OMEGA" in raised gold letters near the 12, with the words "Automatic" then "Chronometer" below, followed by "Officially Certified" underneath in very fine black lettering. Below the centerpost in a different font is the word "Constellation" with a small raised gold star centered below it. Finally, under the diamond in the 6 position are the words "Swiss Made" in fine black lettering.
    6. The back is also gold and has the Geneva Observatory engraved under a field of stars of different sizes in the center.
    7. I don't know the service history, or if it was ever serviced, but I know he had it sized because there is a link missing and some fuckery done to one of the links at that point.

Photos below. Sorry if they suck. Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

20160322_232130.jpg IMG_20160322_232618.jpg 20160322_231742.jpg 20160322_231911.jpg

ahartfie and ConElPueblo like this.
  2. Kwijibo Apr 3, 2016

Hello

It's rather hard to give a correct answer when the watch (your father's) have a personnal value. One thing is sure is that these rather "flashy" watches are very 70's dated.
    I you decide to sell it, there are 50% chance that it will be melted for the gold value.
    what would I do with a watch like this? Probably change the dial for a sober one, probably white and keep the other in a safe plastic box. May be put a nice leather or croc strap on it. Fixing a gold bracelet will be very costly if you have to change a link (if you can fing one). it must be a 1011 inside i think. May be a 564. if it has a bi-directionnal quick set date it's the first one, if the date setting is by pulling the crown it's a 564. Both are nice movements even if they are not worth a fortune (150 to 200 dollars in good condition. One thing is sure : they work very verry well above all the 1011 which is one of the most accurate movement i've ever seen in this range. If you open it, there may be a date of servicing engraved inside. I take 150 dollars to service this kind of movement if nothing is broken.
    That's all I can say for the time being.