Forums Latest Members

New here. Can anyone help me identify this Omega?

1. spots Jul 2, 2014

Hello all!

For the past few months I have been looking at purchasing my first entry luxury watch. After much debate I have decided on trying to find a good second hand Omega as my started. I recently came across this omega speed master in a local antique shop. I am having a hard time trying to identify which one it is. It is listed as a caliber 1140. It is a two tone case (stainless steel and gold) and is measured at 39mm in diameter and 44.25mm lug to lug by 12 mm thick. The ETA movement has 45 jewels in it. I tried looking through the database to locate a ref number but have no luck. It may have been made in 1991.

The asking price from the antique shop is $2,895. Is this a good deal?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. spots Jul 2, 2014

Update*
    Just received some new information.

Omega 1140, ETA 2890, 45 jewel

I am still unable to track down exactly which model this is. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks =D

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 3, 2014

The serial number on the case back (53185720) corresponds to a ref. 33101000. There is no photo of the whole watch on the Omega Extranet, but looking at the various parts where there are photos, this seems to be the correct reference.

I am not a fan of the modular chronograph movement in this watch, but if you go in with your eyes open and you like the watch, go for it.

Cheers, Al

4. sethchan Apr 22, 2017

What a coincidence! I bought this watch.

I have mixed feelings. Pros: It's beautiful, it keeps excellent time, between ±0 and -2 seconds per day, and it fits perfectly on my wrist. I'm often unaware that I have it on at all and can even sleep with it on. Because of the smaller size, I never bump it into things. Cons: It isn't a moonwatch, it has that piggyback chrono movement, it's automatic instead of hand-wound.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably have paid more and gotten a hand-wound Speedmaster, preferably with a 321 movement or its immediate successor (forgot the number. 621? 821?). That said, beautiful, keeps excellent time and fits perfectly on my wrist are, you know, pretty important pluses. But it's not a moonwatch. So it you have purist tendencies, it's not for you.

I like the guys at that store (Father Time). The mainspring broke within a year and they not only replaced it, they managed to do it on my schedule when I was passing through Chicago (I live in Europe). If I recall correctly, they pre-ordered the spring and installed it while I waited. They're great to work with and they have lots of treasures there.

5. sethchan Apr 22, 2017

It's a Speedmaster reduced.