Forums Latest Members

New here! Apparently I inherited some sought after Speedmasters

1. newomegaguy Dec 22, 2016

Hi everybody!
    I was told to come down here from reddit and share with you my recently discovered grandfathers watches. I was told a lot of you will be skeptical as well, as theres two of them. After being schooled over at reddit, I was told coming here would be like getting my Master's in Speedie knowledge and history.

After going to a collector to have them looked at, I now know they're both caliber 321 which is a good thing, They've both had their hands replaced/serviced which isn't good. They're the "DON" version which is desirable. I know the box doesn't match with those models now and that the metal band is also not a match.
    One is a "105.003-65" and one is a "2998-3". I was nonchalantly walking around with the one my grandfather wore for a couple months, till I decided to have the strap changed. The repairman who saw it, said it was a really nice watch and not much else, I didn't think too much of it. A couple days ago I saw a post on a speed master and it looked quite similar, thats what peaked my interest and so I decided to post on reddit, and now here.

So please ladies and gents, if you've got any suggestions for me I'd love to hear them.
    The gentleman I saw yesterday who is a collector and kind enough to open them for me, showed me some he sold in the Christies catalogue below one of the shots. Im a noob through and through guys (and again, I was warned there would be skepticism, so again NOT A DEALER) I couldn't pin him down with a valuation, as he had me guess and sort of nodded at 10k each, so that was when I decided I wouldn't be wearing them out again LOL. and I know thats frowned upon/not allowed here so I'm not doing that!
    Ive read the stickies, and so I do feel this is an acceptable question, I do intend on liquidating one, and I'm looking for advice on whether you all think it should be the more "sought-after/rare" one because it will bring a higher premium or definitely NOT that one, because its so uncommon? I feel thats fair as its an opinion on the models, not really "whats it worth types". Also they both look beat up to me, and the first thing I thought to do was get a new bezel, I now know thats blasphemy. Would anyone care to rate the conditions of them though?

Anyways, time for the pics. I was told these shots were the "money-shots" haha. Cheers!

box1.JPG image2.JPG image1.JPG image1 2.JPG image2 2.JPG image4.JPG image5.JPG image6.JPG image7.JPG
    Edited Dec 22, 2016
    Etp095, Screwbacks, Omeg@007 and 13 others like this.
  2. sgtpry Dec 22, 2016

Keep the 2998-3

Sell the 105.003-65. Although the 105.003-65 is not the best condition, it can still sell with good money.

Good luck!

newomegaguy likes this.
  3. newomegaguy Dec 22, 2016

Keep it because its rarer? And thanks for the light speed reply!

4. traf Dec 22, 2016

If you can wait a few years, you're likely looking at some good money. I wouldn't sell either right away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taddyangle and newomegaguy like this.
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 22, 2016

Baz9614 and newomegaguy like this.
  6. newomegaguy Dec 22, 2016

I have and thats why Im not fishing for a value here, but I guess I do need to know what the condition would most likely be labeled as? I think ill edit now to include that

7. sgtpry Dec 22, 2016

Yups, older and rarer

The steel bracelets also rare, so keep it, some nice 7912 bracelet with 6 end links worth $3K

The 2998-3 has wrong chronograph second hand though... but can be replaced with similar patina hands, maybe from the 105.003-65, that is the correct chrono second hand

Keep both if you can :thumbsup:

But if 1 must go, then 105.003-65 can go...
    With that condition, 105.003-65 without bracelet maybe around $7-8K? Don't quote me on the value, it's just my personal guess

Edited Dec 22, 2016
    newomegaguy likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Dec 22, 2016

There would be many more replies if some of our Speedmaster guys didn't headsplitting.gif~c200.gif

Jwit, AAAKK, abrod520 and 2 others like this.
  9. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Dec 22, 2016

Do not rush. Take your time. Do not further alter the watches. Do not polish. Do not change the bezels. You are sitting on a boat load of money.

marco, Omeg@007 and newomegaguy like this.
  10. ConElPueblo Dec 22, 2016

I hate you.

Edantony, Jking, Jwit and 6 others like this.
  11. Tom Dick and Harry Dec 22, 2016

awesome post, keep both, wait a few years, sell the 105.003-65 and pay of your mortgage or buy a 911 (judging by the way prices are rising)

In all seriousness: welcome to the forum and a great first post, you have two lovely watches and I would advise if you can on keeping both as they are FAR better than money in the bank at the moment and showing no signs of going anywhere other than up

Edantony, Jwit, semper_shells and 2 others like this.
  12. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Dec 22, 2016

I would call bullsh!t on this story if I wasn't in a very similar situation myself.

newomegaguy likes this.
  13. newomegaguy Dec 22, 2016

haha

Edantony likes this.
  14. Faz Dec 22, 2016

Put both on a sheep skin strap...::rimshot::

Jwit and ulackfocus like this.
  15. ulackfocus Dec 22, 2016

I was going to counter with "You can only buy a scooter with money from selling inherited watches" but then I realized that's for vintage Constellations.

cristos71 and Faz like this.
  16. ulackfocus Dec 22, 2016

Yes, and welcome to the flock!

Interesting that you already had a few watch books laying around to use as backdrops for your pictures.

aap, keywerd and Faz like this.
  17. sgtpry Dec 22, 2016

This!

Same reason I told my wife why I have more than 2 watches :whistling:

brownip likes this.
  18. Faz Dec 22, 2016

Seriously..your grand dad was probably one of the first hoarders! Good watches in fair condition but very desirable regardless. It seeems that he wore both quite a bit judging by those casebacks. Take your time, do some research and enjoy your inheritance if you aren't strapped for cash..

newomegaguy likes this.
  19. KstateSkier Dec 22, 2016

This thread has made me realize my grandpa sucked.

20. newomegaguy Dec 22, 2016

as i said the collector recommended I take the shot over the catalogue. Certainly it looks a little better or where it belongs

al128 likes this.