Forums Latest Members
  1. DonovanMartin Jun 6, 2019

i sent my speedy in and the hands are loosing lume. The service person says they won’t guarantee their work using the old hands because it can get in the movement and cause problems. So should I replace them with new service hands or search for old hands not flaking off the lume and hope for the best?
    It is a well known and established company who has done lots of work for me before. I trust them in regards to what they are saying

2. silverbitz Jun 6, 2019

Never. We need photos but don’t mess things. Service hands back in the day may have been acceptable but not today. Leave it as it is and send some pics.

3. DonovanMartin Jun 6, 2019

4. DonovanMartin Jun 6, 2019

Here is a pic E0CFA4A6-B4BB-4CB3-B27B-C654EF331D32.jpeg

Etp095 likes this.
  5. wsfarrell Jun 6, 2019

It surprises me that a good watchmaker would say this. It's quite easy to stabilize lume so it won't flake off. Here'sPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network something that would work.

Walrus and BlackTalon like this.
  6. DonovanMartin Jun 6, 2019

so who would you recommend to service a Speedy and do this type work?

7. boogedyboo Jun 6, 2019

You can get service hands installed but ensure you get the original tritium hands back.

8. ndgal Jun 6, 2019

Not the person who stabilized the lume on the dial...

By the way, chrono hand is also a service part (not correct for the reference and too short).
    Running seconds subdial hand is also a service replacement part. (notice the tip in comparison to the other two).

ageage and Spacefruit like this.
  9. 321Only Jun 7, 2019

Don’t go for service parts. The original hands look very nice. As said above, stabilize the lume and keep them on the watch

10. Socks Jun 7, 2019

You boys are so observant! I would say leave it as it is. Why replace just the one subdial hand?

11. elmar2001 Jun 8, 2019

Interesting link, thanks.

12. Walviskroket Jun 8, 2019

[​IMG]

My 69 als has stabilized lume. You wont even notice the difference

Etp095 and wsfarrell like this.
  13. loniscup Jun 8, 2019

Running seconds subdial hand is also a service replacement part. (notice the tip in comparison to the other two).[/QUOTE]

You guys have a hawk's eye, unbelievable!!!

murph likes this.
  14. Jamesb1974 Jun 8, 2019

Please don't agree to a hand change. About 10 years ago, I made the mistake of submitting my Speedmaster Pro to a registered Omega dealer to replace a lost chrono pusher. This was after I'd asked around a few watch shops in the area and all had shown zero interest. Stupidly, I let the dealer talk me into sending the watch for a 'full Omega service'. Prior to my Speedy going in, it had matching lume on the dial batons and hands (with the hands being in a similar condition to yours). The case also had a nice ding in it, on the left-hand side opposite the crown. Basically, it had character and was 'my' watch. It came back from the service with a new case, new hands, a new crown and pushers (both) and a new hesalite. I'd specified that I just wanted the pusher replaced and was assured that the 'service' was internal only. Be warned! I wish I'd know about this site before I'd lost that bloody pusher!

James

Etp095 likes this.
  15. jpjsavage Jun 9, 2019

Another vote to leave the original hands on the watch. Replacing or restoring them is a big no in my view and will impact on future values.

16. DonovanMartin Jun 14, 2019

I'll leave it as is if i can find a good place to have the work done. I have only used one place and they have always done marvelous work but they don't do this type. I'm in Texas. Recommendations?

17. Patrik83 Jun 16, 2019

Would stabilizing also prevent the lume from changing color or just so it does not fall of?

18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 16, 2019

Calling @TexOmega @Lonestar

19. emilio Jun 16, 2019

I would ask james Hyman to relume your original hands.

20. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jun 17, 2019

Unfortunately I left the Lone Star State last millennium :( I only have fantastic memories of it though, albeit none nown for great watchmaker back then... Sorry!