Forums Latest Members
  1. jwheeler Jan 31, 2018

Just wanted to say hello. I have an Omega constellation gold pie pan watch that my dad bought new in either 1965 or 1966. I will post post pics as soon as I can. The watch works, but loses time so I am wondering where would be a good place to have it looked at. I do not want just anyone looking at this watch. Thanks for any info anyone can give me on this. I am in Canada if anyone is wondering.

John Wheeler

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 31, 2018

A contributor here and respected Omega-qualified watchmaker is Al @Archer. He is Canadian and may be able to help or send you in the right direction.
    Welcome, John, to the forum and we look forward to the pictures, eh?

sphinx77 likes this.
  3. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 31, 2018

John, welcome!

@UncleBuck gives great advice :D!

If you'd rather gain more info on the watch first, I suggest that you come up with a pic, any pic, for your avatar, then start your own thread in the 'Vintage Omega Watches Help..' thread here on Omega Forums... Include hi-res dial photos of your dad's watch. Don't worry, your pics are safe here...

Al is great, I was lucky enough to have him service my Speedmaster, but he's not the only guy to whom you can trust an heirloom like your dad's...

Good luck!

Edited Jan 31, 2018
    UncleBuck likes this.
  4. jwheeler Jan 31, 2018

Here are pics of the watch I have

IMG_0188.JPG IMG_0189.JPG IMG_0190.JPG
  5. mydeafcat Feb 1, 2018

Where are you located, John? If you’re in BC I can suggest 2 YVR-based watchmakers who enjoy excellent reputations. Alberta? I reckon @Canuck may be able to point you in the right direction.

Welcome to the best watch forum. You’ll need to prepare for the ‘please post sharper image’ comments. :D

6. jwheeler Feb 1, 2018

I live in New Brunswick, and will post better pictures this weekend

sphinx77 likes this.
  7. apm1 Feb 1, 2018

Find a good watchmaker near you and ask him to service the watch. I would tell him not to polish it.

8. jwheeler Feb 1, 2018

You don't recommend polishing it?

9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 1, 2018

Absolutely not!
    Cleaning only!
    Polishing just removes the sharp edges and the very thin plating.
    If you have the urge to polish, go out to the car!

Caliber561, dan7800 and jwheeler like this.
  10. jwheeler Feb 1, 2018

Thanks for the advise. I am new to vintage watches, and do not want to hurt this watch that has been in my family forever.

11. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 1, 2018

You want what is called a "sympathetic" service. No alterations to the visible beauty of the watch besides cleaning.
    Have the movement repaired if necessary, have the movement cleaned, oiled and adjusted and get a new Omega crystal if required. Do this every 5 or 6 years and then tell your heir to do the same. It'll probably outlive you both.

Wear it in good health, John!

sphinx77 and mayankyadav like this.
  12. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 1, 2018

But not the dial !!!! Too easy to damage.

13. jwheeler Feb 1, 2018

It runs well, but loses time, so that is what concerns me. Yes the crystal will need to be replaced as it is scratched up from wearing. As far as I know the only things on this watch that aren't original is the strap and crystal, and I would like to keep it that way. They are only original once!

14. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 1, 2018

Bless you!
    See what your Dad saw.
    Movement parts and a crystal are considered normal maintenance, like brake shoes and wipers on a car.

jwheeler likes this.
  15. jwheeler Feb 1, 2018

I had a guy offer me $500.00 Canadian for this watch. What are they going for on the open market? Just wondering if it should be added to my insurance policy

16. dan7800 Feb 1, 2018

$500 is very low

17. jwheeler Feb 1, 2018

I am not going to hold anyone to it, but what would be a good value for insurance purposes?

18. Caliber561 Feb 1, 2018

Probably closer to 1,000$-1,500$ (USD)

jwheeler likes this.
  19. sphinx77 Oct 25, 2018

Hi fellow canuck. Do you have any new pictures of your watch? I have a similar one but its hard to tell with the images you posted.
    Try the MACRO setting in a digital camera, it gives much clearer and stronger detail. Any idea on the movement, I have a 551 with
    serial numbers in the 24million, 14k case.

20. sphinx77 Oct 25, 2018

Caddyman
    Is Al the famous Al from Calgary?