Forums Latest Members

WTB New Guy Looking To Buy

1. pknopp Oct 15, 2012

I decided I wanted a nice watch. I first thought Rolex but while researching watches I have decided that I like the Omega watches better. I am only interested in a vintage watch. Pre-1970. I am mostly interested in an automatic.

I'm looking for a daily wear watch. I'm not going to go the money on a solid gold watch or something rare. I would be interested in one that may need a little attention. A few scratches is fine. Need a new band? Fine. I love the pie pans. Being a daily I would prefer all original but again, I likely won't want to go the money on a perfect example.

I've watched eBay but being a novice I am reluctant to bid on many of the watches with poor pics or ones that have been recently restored. In time I'll likely watch the markets and buy a nice watch for random wear but right now a I want a watch for daily wear.

Thanks

2. ulackfocus Oct 15, 2012

Take a look at the Seamaster Sparkle models from the late 60's and very early 70's. Search the word 'sparkle', '168.032', '166.023', or 'Seamaster 751' to see all the times we've discussed them. Great vintage watches with looks that still hold their own today.

3. pknopp Oct 15, 2012

Thanks, I have caught some of the discussions here and I noted one listed in the eBay thread. It appeared to me that maybe it was going for more than many thought here was a good price? (As I said, I'm a novice).

Thanks

4. ulackfocus Oct 15, 2012

If you mean the gold plated model with the Beads of Rice bracelet, than that was a good price for the buyer. Not great, but decent. I figured it for $750 - $850. If I knew it was serviced another hundred or so would have been fair.

5. pknopp Oct 15, 2012

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 15, 2012

IMO that one went cheap. It is a Chronometer and these are getting harder and harder to find. It also had a bracelet. I would have bought for that price if I didn't own that model already. The folks that thought it would go cheaper were wishful thinking and missed a good opportunity.

7. pknopp Oct 15, 2012

I almost thought it too pretty for everyday use. It is a great looking watch and one reason why I've been looking for Omega's over a Rolex or something.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 15, 2012

BTW Pknopp, Appreciate seeing Froggy the gremlin again. Used to have one when I was a wee bairn. Loved to watch Andy Divine, Midnight the cat, squeakee and of course the evil Froggy.

pknopp likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 15, 2012

I'm always a fan of a good 2852 in stainless as a daily worn dress watch, throw it on a beads of rice bracelet and it looks exceptional

10. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Oct 15, 2012

I actually have a 2852 that I'm getting fixed up...I'll let you know when it's done. :)