Forums Latest Members
  1. GGG964 Dec 1, 2016

Hello everyone!

I've been browsing the forums for a little while and figured I would finally join! I've always been a fan of all things mechanical (especially cars/guns), and I finally decided to begin purchasing Omega time pieces within the last two years. My infatuation with Omega started in 1995 when the movie Goldeneye was released (i was 10 years old, so don't judge too harshly). In my mind, Omega produces the greatest time pieces on the planet!

Anyway, I have slowly been learning about watches and I was fortunate to come across a vintage Omega Automatic that was my grandfathers, but I am completely unsure of what year it is and what I should do to properly preserve this watch. Surprisingly, the watch still works even though it has been sitting at the bottom of a box for at least 35 years! but it definitely needs some TLC. Any advice would be greatly appreciated on reputable places for service/avenues I should take. I did take it to an Omega boutique and received an enormous quote to have it refreshed, and I just don't think that would be a prudent way to go.

I have added a picture of the vintage Omega, as well as my two other pride and joy watches for good measure. My apologies for the quality of the pictures. Let me know if I need to take any specific shots to help identify what it is

I look forward to attempting to learn a fraction of the knowledge thats floating around on this forum. Thanks!

-Garrett

image3-3.JPG image1-4.JPG image2-4.JPG
    ahartfie, Larry S, Jwit and 1 other person like this.
  2. Artifice Dec 2, 2016

Hello Garrett and welcome to the Forum! I recommend a service for your watch even though it is still working since the oils have surely dried up.

It would help if you could state where you are located so other members can recommend where to have your watch serviced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GGG964 likes this.
  3. Bumper Dec 2, 2016

33mm snap back case? Looks like a Cal. 344. Best to have a pic of the inside when you bring it to a watchmaker.

GGG964 likes this.
  4. GGG964 Dec 2, 2016

I'm located in Pittsburgh PA.

5. Omega1 Dec 2, 2016

Hi Garrett nice watches welcome to the house of fun...

GGG964 likes this.
  6. Swissgmt1675 Dec 2, 2016

Hi G...Welcome on boad..:)

GGG964 likes this.
  7. GGG964 Dec 2, 2016

Thanks everyone!

8. GGG964 Dec 2, 2016

I will most definitely grab a picture of the inside. Still on the hunt for a trustworthy watchmaker in the Pittsburgh area.

9. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Dec 2, 2016

Welcome to the mad house GGG, just wanted to led you know that the vintage piece up there is a bad redial, just in case you didn't know...
    Best,
    Lest

GGG964 likes this.
  10. GGG964 Dec 2, 2016

Lest - thanks for the insight. I was concerned about this as I have not been able to find any Omega dials that come close to looking like this one (with the markings on the outer edge and the markers). How were you able to tell?

11. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Dec 2, 2016

Well, two things jump at me.... the omega and automatic looks to have been put on there with a... god knows what... they are not what you would see out of Omega... and the sub dial markers, well they are not correct... these things just point at a redial at some point... if you can post a head on picture of just the dial in good lighting we can point anything else that might be off.
    Best,
    Lest

12. GGG964 Sep 21, 2017

Rather than start a completely new thread, I thought I would bump my first one since I am continuing on this topic!

I've finally had some time to get into doing some research on this watch. I figured out that the watch is a F6212 with a 342 caliber from 1947-1952 in 14K gold. There are two other numbers I can't quite figure out (T914490 on the casing back plate, and 11516125 on the movement inside).

I've decided to keep it and do a full restoration on it since the dial is hideous and the crystal is in poor shape. I do think it is hersalite so perhaps it can be buffed out. Anyway, i believe it has it's original crown which is pretty neat. My family did tell me that my grandfather bought the watch brand new and had it serviced over the years - which it seems there are tiny markings in the case backing to confirm this.

Anyway, can anybody recommend a reputable shop or even person on the forum that I could send this watch to for a redial/mechanical servicing/crystal buff?

I've added a few photos for fun, and a photo of what I think the watch should actually look like.

IMG_2369.JPG IMG_2374.JPG IMG_2375.JPG OMega Automatic Dial.jpg