Forums Latest Members
  1. JCS266 Aug 27, 2013

Greetings to all, I found your Forum while trying to research and learn a bit more about an Omega Speedmaster my son has inherited from his grandfather.

I'll be searching for threads on this watch and would be appreciative of any advice or suggestions.

I'm guessing it's from the 1960's or 70's. I have some pics if that would help. It has no serial number anywhere that I can find, so it must be under the rear cover I'm guessing?

The rear cover is just plain stainless steel with a Seahorse in the center and the Omega symbol under it. Over the seahorse is "SPEEDMASTER" in capital letters. It has a black face and bezel

2. JCS266 Aug 27, 2013

[​IMG]

3. JCS266 Aug 27, 2013

[​IMG]

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 27, 2013

Nice speedmaster! Cal. 321 movement in case ref. 145.012. The bezel is original and is in good shape as is the case and the dial. Bracelet is not original but that's a relatively minor issue here.

5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 27, 2013

Hi and welcome!
    We have many Speedmaster experts here, so you've come to the best that there is.
    Please post all pictures by clicking on the camera icon at the bottom of the post, the better the pix and the info, the better the guidance you will be able to receive.
    Some Speedmasters can be extremely valuable, so please don't wind, set, have refinished, polish or do anything til you hear from the experts.
    Sounds like Grandpa had great tastes!

6. JCS266 Aug 27, 2013

Wow that was quick thanks for the reply. Any way to know it's year of mfr or approx age?

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 27, 2013

Likely 1966-67.

8. JCS266 Aug 27, 2013

Ok Buck thanks, I'll do the Photo Button next time. :)

9. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Aug 27, 2013

Please be sure to find a reliable independent watchmaker who can keep the watch all original. Nice watch!

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 28, 2013

could it be an early 861, so called transitional?

11. TLIGuy Aug 28, 2013

This is what my money is on.

Very nice watch. Heed the advice of others and find a competent watch maker to bring the movement up to speed but keep her as original as you can. You son is a lucky guy and his grandfather has excellent taste.

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 28, 2013

The transitional shouldn't have that teardrop seconds hand.

13. JCS266 Aug 28, 2013

Thanks to all for the responses!

TLI,

Now when you say bring the movement up to speed can you clarify what that means? (Noob here :) )

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 28, 2013

It means that the movement should be inspected by a qualified watchmaker and overhauled, if necessary, to ensure that it is running properly.
    gatorcpa

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 28, 2013

Don't wind it or run it until the movement has been serviced, if you have it cleaned and lubricated every 3-5 years it'll serve your son until he's a grandfather, its an excellent and very well made movement but it needs correct maintenance.

16. TLIGuy Aug 28, 2013

Yep, this is what I meant. Your son now has a highly sought after and great vintage piece in his possession in very nice condition. You should make sure that it is operating properly to prevent any damage that could occur if the lubrication is dry/bad or if the seals no longer keep out dirt and moisture. You son should wear it proudly it's a fantastic piece with a rich history.

Please let us know what year it was produced and if it is a 321 or 861 when you find someone that can get into it and look it over for you.

17. MKelley Aug 28, 2013

Could be a cal 861, but with applied logo and dot over 90, my bet is for cal 321.

18. richardew Aug 29, 2013

Spot on, as usual. Beautiful dot over 90 bezel. Beautiful dial and case. It isn't a 105.012-66 as it doesn't have the vertical facets on the lugs. It has a single step case back, so it's not a 105.012-63,-64,or -65.
    That makes it a 145.012. It's most likely not a 145.022-68 transitional although it could be. I'd bet on the former though.
    The dot over 90 bezel continues into 1969, the second year of the c861.
    12.30.12 _26speedys n coffee.jpg

You have a beautiful watch. You do need someone to look at it and probably service it. It'll run you ~$600 for the service. Where are you located? There are a number of options for where you have it serviced, but you need to be careful. Watchmakers like to make the watch like new when they service it and will replace vintage parts with current ones and you want to avoid that if possible. I guess we all have our favorite watchmaker. I use one who is local and it's great to be able to drive there and not have to deal the the hassle of shipping.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  19. JCS266 Aug 29, 2013

Wow you gentlemen are a wealth of knowledge! Didn't realize there was so much to be known about it! Very interesting and it makes the watch that much more exciting to know all this.

My son lives in the DC area of VA, so I'm sure there are some experts in that area who can properly service it.

What's the consensus on it's year? It's sounding like '66-'69 most likely?

Thank you all so very much for taking the time to examine this and lend your obviously extensive knowledge to this inquiry!

20. richardew Aug 29, 2013

I'd say that the concensus is that's it's a 145.012-67 with a outside shot at being a 145.022-68. As far as watchmakers are concerned, I'd make sure that they are well versed in Omega chronographs. Someone on the forum must have one in the DC area. I use one in downtown Phila. The shop used to be an authorized Omega service center until recently when they did away with independents. The one I use is Precision Watch Repair, Philadelphia (not to be confused with AD Precision Watch, Warrington, PA). A lot of folks use Nesbitts in Seattle. And of course there is Al @ Archer Watches in Toronto. He is a member and frequent contributor to the forum, and he knows what to do/not to do with a vintage Omega. I always sit down with my guy and discuss what to do, not to do. Don't change the bezel, hands, or dial. Don't polish the case. Replace the gaskets. Try to use the crown and pushers, but these are frequently replaced as they help maintain the integrity of the watch case. The watch innerds are like the wicked witch in the Wizard of Oz and don't do well with water.