Forums Latest Members
  1. Brownstonejones Feb 2, 2016

Hi guys,

I am the new guy, looking for some expert advice. I am looking for an Omega watch and came across this Omega Cal 1020. I really enjoy the Seamaster collections. I have read over a bunch of "tips" and "buying guides for vintage Omega watches" and quite honestly need opinion(s) if I am even remotely headed into the right direction. With my budget; not looking to break the bank ($1000 and under) on this one, but am looking for something simple, great history, and something I can dress up or down with. I have attached a couple photos of what I am looking at.

I appreciate any guidance on my search.
    Thanks

B

$_57 (1).JPG $_57 (2).JPG $_57 (3).JPG $_57 (5).JPG $_57 (6).JPG $_57 (7).JPG
  2. Canuck Feb 2, 2016

Welcome,

I know that some folks on this MB hold a dim view on that caliber. Some folks feel that was produced in an era when Omega was doing some cost cutting. Some feel that this compromised the collectibility of this model. It appears to me that this watch has issues that will have to be dealt with. One is that the rotor appears to be dragging on the under side of the case back which shows up as a darker ring toward the outer perimeter of the case back. The rotor also shows evidence of dragging around the perimeter. The next one being that the time is reading about 2:30, and the date numeral isn't centred in the opening in the dial. The calendar likely needs work. Third is the crude markings around the edge of the outer case back. I don't have a strong bias against engraving on the back of a collectible watch, provided it is well done. But the back on this one is a mess!

By the time you add the purchase price of the watch to the cost of doing the necessary work, you'll have far more invested in this one than it is worth! And if the seller says "it has had a recent thorough service", well, take that with a grain of salt.

I have an Omega with that same caliber in it, and it is a good runner, and a whole lot better shape than the subject watch. So provided you buy a good one, they do perform well. But a bad one! I think I'm saying stay away from this one!

I don't know what MB policy is re: a newbie buying here, but there is lots of choice being offered on this MB. Check out the FOR SALE sections, and maybe shoot off a PM or two.

ahartfie and JakeSkyEllis like this.
  3. JakeSkyEllis Feb 2, 2016

I almost purchased this exact watch yesterday. The scratched up case back deterred me. Welcome!

4. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Feb 2, 2016

I have so much to learn...

5. Brownstonejones Feb 2, 2016

Hey Canuck and Jake,

Thanks for getting back to me with all the insightful information. This is why I knew I had to get the right information from someone who knows what they're talking about. I get the feeling I'll be posting more of these "What do you think/opinion posts" while on my hunt and I will certainly be looking into the for sale sections.

Jake! That's beautiful 1970's cal.1020! That Blue dial on your watch is definitely something I would love to get one day.

Go Canucks! I mean Jets... Nevermind, playoffs doesn't seem to be happening this year.

Thanks again for all the help!
    And yes, Frunkinator.... I couldn't agree more with you.
    Cheers.

JakeSkyEllis likes this.