Forums Latest Members

New guy and question on vintage with cal 1020 movement

1. Baco Noir Dec 5, 2013

Hi all,

I'm new here but not new to watches or forums. Long time member on several other watch forums and occasional lurker here. I've been looking at some vintage Omegas for my wife for Christmas and keep coming back to this one on WUS...

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-omega-de-ville-cal-1020-gold-diamonds-940169.html

It fits the size requirement (32-36mm), is gold (or TT) like she wants, has a little bling for the office environment, and looks to be in good condition overall. My question is related to the dependability of the 1020 movement. My watchmaker suggested avoiding the 1000 and 1010 series caliber a because they are very "flimsy on the dial side". However, this one keeps staring at me every time I see it as being right for what my wife is looking for.

What do you think of the 1020 movement and is this watch priced right?

Thanks,

Roger

2. ulackfocus Dec 5, 2013

Hi Roger. Nice to see you here!

Your watchmaker is correct about the 100x calibers, but the 101x was released shortly afterwards with corrections. All of the post 1972 calibers are made a little flimsier than the pre-1972 calibers (55x/56x/75x series) but most are still decent. The 1020 is basically the 1010 with a day feature added and should serve your wife well if properly maintained. I think the asking price is a little high, but worth shooting the seller an offer.

jimmyjay likes this.
  3. Baco Noir Dec 5, 2013

Thanks Dennis. So if am reading that correctly, since the 1020 is basically a 1010 with the day complication added, then the 1020 has the correction made to the 100x calibers, right?

Also, did Omega ever release these with diamonds on the dial or are those aftermarket additions? It's the first one I've seen like that.

On the pricing, I think the first time I saw this posted he had it at 550 Euros and it's now 500 Euros ($680 USD). Would you think that a price closer to $600 - $625 USD is more in line with the real value?

4. ulackfocus Dec 5, 2013

Yes, the 1020 will have the changes made to correct the faults of the 100x series.

Pretty sure they did as I've seen a handful like that over the years.

I wouldn't go over $600, and that's if some kind of service history was known. A lot of sellers think just because it says "Omega" (or "TAG" or "Rolex") on the dial it's gotta be expensive, but his asking price is bordering on the range of the better day/dates made a few years earlier with the 75x series inside.

5. Baco Noir Dec 5, 2013

Thanks Dennis. As I was typing up a question to the seller, it just hit me that this movement probably does not have a quickset day/date function or does it? Without one, my wife will NEVER have them set right. She's not the type to keep it wound or reset it if it takes effort, which would bring out a bit of the OCD in me!

6. ulackfocus Dec 5, 2013

I think the date is quickset via the crown, but the day I'm not sure of since I've never owned one.

That's why she married you, isn't it? Set clocks/watches, take out the garbage, maintain the vehicles, lawn care, etc. :p

7. Baco Noir Dec 5, 2013

LOL - she does like cutting the grass and takes out the garbage most weeks (unless it's too heavy) since they come so early around here. :D

I'll check with the seller and verify the quickset part. Thanks a LOT Dennis. I appreciate all the help. And with the pricing advice, at least he won't be going ... ::money::

8. Baco Noir Dec 6, 2013

ulackfocus - I haven't heard back from the seller yet, but I did find this video on You Tube on the day-date function of the 1020 caliber movement. The date is a quickset chance and the day is too, but with a twist. When you are adjusting the day, the minute hands move backwards as well. I've never seen that before, but still easy enough so that my wife would actually use it. The changing day - date part of the video starts around the 2 1/2 minute mark.

9. ulackfocus Dec 6, 2013

Thanks Roger! Nice tidbit there.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 6, 2013

Note that the 1010 and 1020 are very flimsy on the dial side parts. Correct tension on the cannon pinion is critical on these watches. Too loose and the hands will not move through the date change, and too tight and teeth are sheared off when you try to set the time.

Again, not Omega's best movement...

11. Habitant Dec 6, 2013

I have never heard of such OUTRAGEOUS behaviour! You, sir, are a lucky man. A very lucky man.

Baco Noir likes this.
  12. Baco Noir Dec 6, 2013

Thanks Al. That explanation of the tension setting is eye opening. I think I'll keep looking and the general specs I'm looking for are...

Case material: gold or TT
    Band: leather or metal
    Dial Color: White or black preferred, gold considered - dial needs to be in great condition and have good contrast with the hands for easy reading
    Case diameter: 32-38mm, with 34-36 preferred
    Movement: auto, manual, or possibly a quartz but with no second hand (Cal 552, 563, 565, 752, 610, 613 preferred)
    Complications: non date, date, day date
    Budget: $1500 max, but would like to stay under $1k

If anyone sees one that seems to fit these specs, please let me know. :thumbsup:

13. ulackfocus Dec 6, 2013

Roger, you should look for what we call a 'Seamaster Sparkle' - just search the word "sparkle" for examples of the 166.032 caliber 750 or 168.023 chronometer caliber 751. They pop up often enough on sales forums and ebay, and the design holds up well against modern watches. At just under 36 mm, and available in gold plated cases, I bet she'd really like one.

14. Baco Noir Dec 6, 2013

Never heard of that one Dennis. Thanks for the tip!

15. ulackfocus Dec 6, 2013

It's a favorite among Omegamaniacs. Owned one myself until I surrendered it to a fellow watch collector who desperately wanted it because it was from his birth year of 1969. It's on the list of watches I want to replace eventually.

16. ulackfocus Dec 6, 2013

[​IMG]

Samir likes this.
  17. Hijak Dec 6, 2013

That is a NFW Dennis...shouldn't have let that one go.:oops:

18. ulackfocus Dec 6, 2013

Yeah, I know - but I get to have the fun of hunting another at some point.

habrisbane likes this.
  19. Baco Noir Dec 10, 2013

Well, I've decided to give up the search for now with Christmas approaching fast. I don't want to make a snap decision that I'll regret later just to get her a gold or TT watch.

Instead, since she has a 34mm AT with a white alligator strap that was not so white anymore, I just ordered her a replacement strap to make it feel new again. Plus I just bought a 34mm Timex Mickey Mouse watch that is too small for me but will be perfect for her to wear occasionally when she wants something fun. Those will get me through Christmas and allow me to look for the right TT or gold watch for her over time.