Forums Latest Members

New guy, a humble collection, and an actual barn-find.

1. nzshadow Stowaway Aug 9, 2017

Well to be fair, it wasn't a barn - it was my local rubbish dump.

Hello, My name is Alan, i am relatively new to collecting watches but not new to collecting in general. Like you, I have gravitated toward Omegas.

I collect records, have done for the best part of 30 years now. It's a hobby that has seen me travel the world in search of rare, undiscovered sounds and I still consider myself a 'record digger'.

But then watches began to creep in, and that little obsessive urge is now satisfied not by obscure vinyl but the new world of movements, complications, appreciation of craftsmanship, and the subtle echoes of a simpler time.

Having grown up in flea markets, antique stores, boot sales, and thrift stores I continue to spend a considerable amount of my time in the field, on the hunt, looking to rescue choice pieces from dusty shelves.

But enough of all that for now - here are some images of the few Omegas I have managed to unearth in the last two years.

Beginning with the first watch I have owned, a 1968 Chronostop:

IMG_2037.jpg
    20160907_115430.jpg

I was immediately drawn to the clean design, and it's oddity status appealed as well. I have large wrists, and do prefer a larger size, but as an object of design and craftsmanship, I simply adore this little beauty and will never let it go. (I bought this online - after many a night of obsessive reading, and whilst I love the thrill of the hunt when out in the field, sometimes a man can be forgiven for simply shopping).

Number two is another oddity, when I first laid eyes on it in the small antique store cabinet I wasn't sure what I was looking at, but a quick Google later, I realised just how special this wonderful old girl was and I paid on the spot.

This is an Andrew Grima Jeux d'Argent from the Emerald Line which ran from 1969 - 76. I have not dated this model, but as the papers came with it, I can see the purchase date was Christmas day, 1977. (Most probably not purchased on Xmas day itself, but it's a nice touch). I live very close to the town it was originally bought from, and love the fact that it never went far. Obviously there is heavy degradation to the dial - patina if you must - I think it adds to the watch, and that bracelet is absolutely stunning.

omega de ville jeux d'argent - 5.jpg
    omega de ville jeux d'argent - 34.jpg
    omega de ville jeux d'argent - 4.jpg
    omega de ville jeux d'argent - 28.jpg
    omega de ville jeux d'argent - 48.jpg

This is turning into quite the post, so ill save here and continue in a bit.

omega de ville jeux d'argent - 4.jpg
    td69, Jwit, Vitezi and 5 others like this.
  2. nzshadow Stowaway Aug 9, 2017

Then there is my daily beater, my absolute favourite, a watch that I love for all it's strangeness, it's awkward place in Omega's line, and for the very fact that it is known as the precursor to the next model, my PreBond Seamaster 200. Yes it's quartz - that makes me appreciate its underdog status even more.
    IMG_0917.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_2459.jpg
    IMG_0837.jpg

This one fits like a glove, I absolutely love all its bumps and bruises, I think the size is perfect for my big dumb wrists and I'm not scared to knock it around. It took months to source extra links for the frustrating 'integrated' bracelet, but again - I seem to dig the oddballs.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 9, 2017

Nice start Alan. I like the chronostop, not sure about the Emerald though, but it's a nice little object with some history to go with it.

4. nzshadow Stowaway Aug 9, 2017

And then, whilst visiting my local rubbish dump looking for records in the little shed where objects get placed before being sent to the crusher, at the bottom on an icecream container full of gawdy costume jewellery and broken Chinese quartz monstrosities, I find this:

It was on a tragic elasticated 'silver' band. I had the B&S at home (the Chronostop came on it), it's too small for my wrist but in my humble opinion, they are a match made in heaven.

I know absolutely nothing about this watch, who owned it, how it ended up at the dump, but I know it is in absolutely perfect running order, it lights up like a galaxy when the evening sun hits the dial, and it was the best $5 I have ever spent.

IMG_0277.jpg
    IMG_2272.jpg
    IMG_1433.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_2277.jpg IMG_0275.jpg IMG_0318.jpg IMG_0312.jpg IMG_0278.jpg IMG_0265.jpg

Syrte, Hattrick, micampe and 27 others like this.
  5. GordonL Aug 9, 2017

I've collected records for over 30 years as well - mostly Velvet Underground/Lou Reed....

Tik-Tok of Oz and nzshadow like this.
  6. nzshadow Stowaway Aug 9, 2017

Me neither TBH, but as an object it has such presence - it's too big for my wifes wrists, but I just like the fact that is has a quirky history and if i ever get into crossdressing, ill still be able to wear an Omega.

Euxinus and ConElPueblo like this.
  7. nzshadow Stowaway Aug 9, 2017

I also found this small ladies Omega, but the crown is broken.

IMG_0103.jpg

Here they are all lined up minus the Grima:

IMG_0284.jpg

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 9, 2017

Trying to imagine a rubbish dump where records and watches are separated out.

ConElPueblo and Foo2rama like this.
  9. Maganator Aug 9, 2017

I'll give you $10 for the Omega you paid $5 for :whistling:

Nice collection and great find though

10. nzshadow Stowaway Aug 9, 2017

I also unearthed a copy of McPhee - a legendary Australian 70s psych record there. I gave it to a friend who had been searching for 20 years for a copy. The last one sold for over AU$1000. Plus i have amassed a nice vintage surfboard collection from there as well. (being coastal Australia and all).

It is an absolute goldmine.

11. Tom Dick and Harry Aug 9, 2017

Never ceases to amaze me what things of value get thrown away, to many our obsession..... no no 'hobby' is often only appreciate by us, to them and old watch is an old watch, what value does it have. 18 months ago a 105.003 ed white was left in the door way of a local Essex charity shop I know well, box, papers, original BCT and one of the nicest examples I have ever seen, left in a bag of clothes. Went to auction and fetched £4000+, 18 months on imagine more like £14000

OP, welcome to the community and lovely little collection, I'm a big fan of the chronostop range, the little seamster is a beauty and I like your daily beater, massive under appreciated watches the old 'pre bonds'

12. bgrisso Aug 9, 2017

Is that black dial original? I don't have the chops to identify a sea master redial, but great find either way for $5. The hunt is definitely a big part of the fun!

13. Damo Aug 9, 2017

I love that chronostop, been looking at them a lot lately, more so the seamaster. You don't tend to see many of them about either.

14. cell1010 Aug 9, 2017

I really like it when there is a passion for the odd ones. You don't see them every day and some a have a great history to be explored.

Well done on your 5$ watch and I imagine that dump will be a great spot for you in years to come!

nzshadow likes this.
  15. Interstellar Aug 10, 2017

great story and great find. Welcome onboard OP!

16. 2ar2c1 Aug 10, 2017

note to self: find some old barns to rummage thru...

17. WatchVaultNYC Aug 10, 2017

Someone in San Diego could be a lucky guy. A few months ago a Moonwatch slipped off my desk and fell into the trash can. Probably went into a landfill. I only realized it weeks later. Now the trash can is nowhere near my desk.

18. nzshadow Stowaway Aug 10, 2017

No. No. NO!!!!!!!!

19. Euxinus Aug 10, 2017

If only there was a dislike button

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  20. micampe Aug 10, 2017

Nice case and dial, I like those lugs, excellent way to spend $5.

nzshadow likes this.