Forums Latest Members

New G-shock: robbery or pure awesomeness?

1. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Mar 4, 2018

I have not seen the upcoming all-metal G-Shock 5000 series discussed here on OF: https://gearpatrol.com/2018/03/02/g-shock-gmw-b-5000-d-1/

I am a huge fan of the G-Shock 5000 series - the old school ones - but a lot of the others does not really speak to me. Too big and with a lot of functions I do not need. To hell with bluetooth in a watch.

So what do you guys think of these? Robbery or just what the doctor ordered?
    6848AD58-0F19-41BF-ADCB-C512273E1E19.jpeg

I think they are brilliant. And I will most certainly get the SS one. To my surprise my wife likes the gold plated one.

Cigar36 and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  2. lillatroll Mar 4, 2018

If you really like it then buy it. I know it seems like a hefty premium for a metal case and some smart watch functions but sometimes it' worth paying the extra.
    I bought this stop2go, which was more than twice the price of the regular stop2go. It has a beat up green 'bezel' and a brown strap instead of a black one. I think it was worth it and I love it.
    Mondaine-Stop2Go-Gottardo-A9500-30363-H-SET-hd-1.jpg
    Here is the original. (both images taken from the internet)
    31iJuFiBFpL._UY700_.jpg

3. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Mar 4, 2018

I have a wife so that is not how it works. I have to fill out application forms, beg, bribe etc.

Linzer, hrfdez, duc and 5 others like this.
  4. lillatroll Mar 4, 2018

Oh. I thought the application process had already been approved. Buy first, explain later.

5. AnotherDon Mar 4, 2018

You're a newly wed. When you have been married a bit longer, you will find that it is always easier to get forgiveness than permission.

duc, eugeneandresson and Spacefruit like this.
  6. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Mar 4, 2018

I have been married for 4 years but we got together 15 years ago in high school so I am by no means a novice. I had a easier-to-ask-for-forgiveness-than-to-ask-for-permission period but that did not work out well :unsure:

7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 4, 2018

Say what you want but those 15 years dont count.

Its like committing a crime 15 years ago, and getting caught 4 years ago.....

Clock starts then

(EDIT joke/barroom/banter/)

8. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Mar 4, 2018

Hey! I am trying to run a serious thread here. How on Earth did it turn into a thread about my marriage??? :confused: Anyway those years totally count as I was already on a leash back then :D

9. Tritium Mar 4, 2018

Congrats on your 15 years together.
    Pictures :p

10. AnotherDon Mar 4, 2018

Congratulations on your 4 years married and 15 years in total together. Our 47th anniversary is coming this next week. By now she has figured out that this watch hobby and the dollars that go with it is just some of the baggage that comes with the package. At first she was very apprehensive..."How can you waste all that money on those watches?' she says. "It's not a waste." says I. Then one day I took her with me to a watch show and wound up trading one of my watches for a ring that she had spied. After that my watch hobby took on a whole new meaning to her. She understood how this was...maybe...just an alternate form of a savings account.

11. tyrantlizardrex Mar 4, 2018

$600 seems pretty punchy for a steel case and a bluetooth dongle. :eek:

The current plastic DW5600 is what? $80? :whistling:

I like it... I don't like it $600. ;)

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  12. strick9 Mar 4, 2018

My wife can't say anything I'm a man

13. strick9 Mar 4, 2018

Why not progress to new and better blue tooth is an awesome way to improve without having to buy a new watch every year update time when
    you turn you your phone on our your laptop 600 not bad

14. Professor Mar 5, 2018

Its when the crime is discovered and the first report filed that the clock starts, and there's no statue of limitations for any thing where wives are concerned.

I had never looked into the G Shock till yesterday before reading this thread. Coincidence I guess. Sounds like a extra fine beater for sports or outdoor work where the average watch might not survive.

Off topic a bit
    I've read of a salvage job on a aircraft that had crashed in a lake a year earlier and the pilot's remains, preserved by the cold water, still had his Omega wrist watch on the wrist and running in perfect time. motion from deep currents being enough to keep the self winding mechanism going. Read of the same thing being found with the corpse of a ships officer found in the wheel house of a sunken freighter.

Edited Mar 5, 2018