Forums Latest Members

New Forum Member Needs Help Identifying Old Omega Seamaster.

1. D&A Feb 4, 2015

So Hello Omega Forums! This is my first post and first "Could you help me find...". I bought this little gem about a year ago and have only recently began my search for it's significance in Omega's archive. I looked up what I believe it is on Omegawatches.com's site and this what I came up with so far:

Seamaster

Gents' leather strap
    Reference
    KO 2846
    International collection
    Movement
    Type: Automatic (mechanical)
    Caliber number: 500 / 501
    Cal. 500
    Created in 1955, 17 jewels
    With central sweep-second hand.

I've seen many vintage Seamasters out there but this one caught my eye because of the dial specifically the red 24hr numerals. Any significance? Anyway thought I'd open it up to you guys...

It basically cost me about $400 in trade-in of a handful of old stuff I brought in to a pawn shop one day.

I feel I got a good find. It runs like a champ and looks great on the wrist. It also appears to be all original except for the band.
    IMG_1887.jpg IMG_0106.jpg IMG_0109.jpg IMG_0108.jpg

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 4, 2015

Unfortunately the dial has been incorrectly refinished, and rather poorly at that.

3. D&A Feb 4, 2015

Mmm interesting. I assumed it might be as the case back is brushed. What type of refinishing technique would have been suitable on this type of watch?

4. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Feb 5, 2015

By "refinished", he meant that it has been repainted, so the way the dial looks now is not the way it looked when it was new. For example, maybe it is just the angle but the "24" that is partly hidden under the Omega logo doesn't seem like something that Omega would let happen.

5. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 5, 2015

The dial was refinished (i.e. redone by removing the original printing/color and reprinting). The style in which this was done is incorrect and you would not find that layout on an original example of your watch. Generally speaking, this reduces the value of the watch since many collectors are not interested in watches with refinished dial. That said, as long as you like it and are happy with it - enjoy!

6. Pvt-Public Feb 5, 2015

I also noticed that the "19, 17,16,14" are not centered on their hour markers, And there are painted minute marks showing from behind almost all of the hour markers.

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 5, 2015

Really noting is correct with this one.

Sloppy printing, fake 24 hour printing (Omega never did this on these), fonts are off, SWISS MADE is off.

Sorry, not a good one.