Forums Latest Members

New FOIS or vintage Speedmaster?

1. Moonwatch78 Oct 10, 2015

Hi all. I'm new to posting on forum but would appreciate any views on this Q. I'm ready to bite bullet to make a significant buy to start a new generation of watches to be handed down to future generations. My grandad gave me his 1916 pocket watch when I was in my 20s. My dad his 145022-78 Speedy when in my 50s. It seems right to buy a watch in my own right to enjoy now but also to continue the timeline for future generations as its soon 2016!
    I can't get past the First Omega in Space at moment. I like the fact that it's new so starts a new timeline, but remembers it's great history. The experience of an unworn, sparkly new watch. It would be a great companion to the 145022.The other option would be to hunt down another vintage Speedy or even buy a new Speedy Professional 3750.
    I'd love to hear people's views. Thanks

2. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Oct 10, 2015

I'm not interested in vintage speedmasters at all (unless I can ever find a birth-year 1980) so I'd go for the FOIS, which I have seriously considered in the past (but got sidetracked by the Speediorite).
    I like the idea of a new watch to make it your own and one day you might hand it down yourself, like your grandfather and dad did with you.

3. Moonwatch78 Oct 10, 2015

4. Moonwatch78 Oct 10, 2015

Thank you for that warm and helpful comment. All the best

5. ConElPueblo Oct 10, 2015

Here's my FOIS, photo taken today:

DSC01773.JPG

I think that if you want to continue in the same vein as your father and grandfather, a more modern watch would be better, for instance one of the ceramic versions, instead of a model that's referencing something from yesteryear. I get a kick out of looking at my old Constellation and knowing that the people that had gifted that watch originally wanted to give something that was state of the art at the moment, not some "relic" of the past… The FOIS is a great watch, but for passing on, I think a modern reference would be preferable.

djmusicman and Moonwatch78 like this.
  6. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Oct 10, 2015

If for no other reason than long term maintenance, go with the FOIS. With vintage parts rapidly drying-up I believe keeping our vintage classics alive will become increasingly more difficult.

Moonwatch78 likes this.
  7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 10, 2015

Moonwatch78 likes this.
  8. ConElPueblo Oct 10, 2015

@oddboy ; yep, complete with rattles and vintage charm :D

Usually wear it on a brown leather strap, though… It's a pig to get on the watch head, so when it's first put on the FOIS, it tend to stay there for some days.

Geo! and oddboy like this.
  9. Moonwatch78 Oct 10, 2015

10. Moonwatch78 Oct 10, 2015

Thanks for comments all. That's the great thing about this forum. It makes you see things from new angles you hadn't thought of. When I went onto local AD enquiring about FOIS he also showed me details of the Speedyorite but I was so focused on the Wally Schirra that I didn't pay that much attention. It looks amazing though - oh boy here we go. I know it's dearer again! Any idea of whether still obtainable via AD and price or would it need to be private or broker now? The moonphase adventurine looks great also but maybe large on my smallish wrist. It's a lovely problem to have though- the research and agonising over the right Omega!

11. Davidt Oct 10, 2015

I would almost always go with vintage. This is one of the rare instances that I'd suggest modern.

Of course it's all down to personal preference, but my suggestions would be the new Broad Arrow 57 Speedmaster and the Master Coaxial 300.

Nick M. and Moonwatch78 like this.
  12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 10, 2015

Your ancestors had good judgement, or more likely luck!

Choosing a watch today, that will be the desirable one in 30 or 40years is not something I could do I don't think.

No one in 40 years is going to look twice at any reissue or remake those unimaginitive greedy suits the the brands are digging out of the archives. No one, no one will want a reissue polprof, bullhead, or even possibly the "museum pieces".

You want to buy a nice watch for today, that's fine. But finding a current watch that will take on the mantle of a generational watch will be a challenge.

In forty years people might want a ceramic, but I doubt it as they are comparatively fragile I believe, and technology will have moved on. (Vis Anakin 861). Or a very complex ( therefore hard to service in the secondary market) movement.

I cannot say what watch I would buy today to pass on.

Right now, I think speedmasters are about to go mad, up coming sale at Christie's and general lack of nice watches on the market.

I don't think in forty years anyone will want a planet ocean.

It's an interesting topic. Sorry I don't have a practical suggestion for a new watch!

So obviously, my vote is a vintage speedmaster.

cju777, djmusicman and Davidt like this.
  13. Moonwatch78 Oct 10, 2015

14. Moonwatch78 Oct 10, 2015

Thanks. It's got me thinking about a challenging but fascinating question. Maybe we have to buy for ourselves, today and let the future take care of itself

Davidt likes this.
  15. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Oct 10, 2015

If I had a beat up-looking watch like most of the high-value, collectible Speedmasters I see on this forum, I'd only wear it if it had some sort of emotional significance to me -- for example, if it was a gift from someone special. Otherwise, I prefer the clean sparkliness of a new-looking, well-cared for watch.

Moonwatch78 likes this.
  16. shutterlife Oct 10, 2015

I agree. Buy something new and shiny so you can appreciate now. And when you pass down as a vintage watch later, it will be appreciated for another significant reason.

apsm100 and Moonwatch78 like this.
  17. Moonwatch78 Oct 10, 2015

Dombo63 likes this.
  18. Moonwatch78 Oct 10, 2015

Thanks guys. Yes I do wear the 145022 78 Speedy my Dad gave me. It has lots of emotional value but also in good nick with some attractive (IMO) wear and tear. But buying another Omega to start my own line for the future would also help give the 78 some down time! I'm coming round to the idea of buying something new which is of the now (as did my dad and grandad when they bought theirs in 1916 and early 80s. The Q then is-should that new watch be state of the art or have a nod to the history of the Speedmaster eg FOIS. Lots to mull over but fun

19. Audley Yung Oct 10, 2015

interesting perspective in regards to new watches.

Makes me consider selling my used Speedy and get a brand new one that I can "make my own and pass down" along the line instead wearing that was somebody elses

Moonwatch78 likes this.
  20. Rockmastermike Oct 10, 2015

Looked at both an choose the FOIS. I am very happy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TJH, Dogmann, alam and 2 others like this.