Forums Latest Members

new farer chronograph looks amazing

1. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Sep 10, 2018

2. WhereMadnessLies Sep 11, 2018

I've just spotted these on their website and they look really very nice. I agree the blue "big eye" does look the best to my eye. A very serious contender for my next purchase.

3. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Sep 11, 2018

Yes, the blue one is very tempting...:taunt:

I'm not sure if I should thank you, @pIoNeErOfThEnILe !

4. guaranteed.rohu Sep 11, 2018

its cool!

reminds me a little of the B&R chrono in colour scheme (not so much in shape)

Also obviously the heuer skipper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. rcs914 Sep 11, 2018

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it has what is basically an non-serviceable Dubois-Depraz chronograph module, correct? The watch does look very nice.

6. WhereMadnessLies Sep 11, 2018

Yes, that is correct

7. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Sep 11, 2018

Why do you say this?

8. Alphasports Sep 11, 2018

My Speedy Reduced has the same/similar D-D module, problematic and expensive to service. Currently at Swatch Service Ctr (Montreal) for 3rd repair visit since $1000 service in June.

9. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Sep 11, 2018

what are you talking about?

10. Alphasports Sep 11, 2018

It's definitely not "non-serviceable" it just requires tools & expertise above and beyond your average corner watchmaker...

Greatpa likes this.
  11. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Sep 11, 2018

so they found a way around saying it's a piggyback movement by saying it's modular?

lol.............not cool..feels like hidden costs when you buy certain things

but these are utilized in many top watches.

Paedipod likes this.
  12. Greatpa Sep 11, 2018

It is true that this movement has a lot of disdavantages and a smaller number of advantages.
    In more than a few cases, when sending these modular movement for a service, it will be shipped to its origin in Switzerland to be replaced. Not serviced... Replaced...! ::facepalm2:: It can be challenging for the average watchmaker to do a full service, though only servicing the base caliber (timekeeping) should be an easier task. Then putting the time module together with the chronograph module, the ladder placed just under the dial. I have personally not dealt with a modular chronograph movement before, but numerous watchmakers shake their head at this type of movement... Also I am sure that there are multiple threads/articles discussing this matter on an more technical level out there ;)

13. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Sep 11, 2018

it doesn't sound good on several levels. i feel a little bit duped. i just assumed eta integrated because they didn't say dubois-depraz.

reworked add on movements and and integrated/modular terminology..won't make mistake again

Edited Sep 11, 2018
  14. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Sep 11, 2018

movement specs when viewing the watch

they say nothing about it being modular

this is scummy imo

MOVEMENT
    MOVEMENT
    Swiss Made ETA 2894-2 Elaboré chronograph movement, bespoke Farer bronze ‘turbine’ design rotor

VIBRATIONS
    28,800 per hour, 4 Hz

FUNCTIONS
    Hours, minutes, small second, chronograph 60 seconds, dragging counter 30 minutes, date display

REGULATOR SYSTEM
    ETACHRON and regulator corrector

JEWELS

WINDING
    Self-winding mechanism with ball bearing

POWER RESERVE
    Approximately 42 hours fully wound

15. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Sep 11, 2018

okay,..the last block of text on the last paragraph of the initial chronograph page the manage to slip in "modular"

SHALLOW PROFILE

Powered by the Swiss Made ETA 2894-2 Élaboré chronograph movement with 37 jewels and 42 hours of power reserve when fully wound. The base of the ETA 2894-2 modular movement is the ETA 2892, one of the benefits of using this movement is its shallow individual profile, which at just 3.6mm is perfect for adding additional modules like the two-register chronograph functionality.

[​IMG]

16. Greatpa Sep 11, 2018

I guess that what they write in the description is more or less true, depending on how you look at things... But, the name of the caliber is 'ETA 2894' which is based on the evergreen 'ETA 2892'. Nothing 'scummy' about this, just choice of words ;)

dougiedude likes this.
  17. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Sep 11, 2018

They do offer this, which is somewhat re-assuring:

Farer Movement Guarantee (2).jpg

Greatpa likes this.
  18. ConElPueblo Sep 12, 2018

You can tell, even if it doesn't say so outright, that it is a modular chronograph by the high jewel count... And that the ETA movement number quoted doesn't incorporate a chronograph function.

19. WhereMadnessLies Sep 12, 2018

Also if you look at the side profile the horizontal centre line of the pushers is higher than the horizontal centre line of the crown. This is normally a good indication that the movement is modular.

NyCSnEaK and Greatpa like this.
  20. Greatpa Sep 12, 2018

You are right, adding a personal comment: it hurts my eyes to see pushers and crown not being on a straight line.... ::puke::