Forums Latest Members

New entry... my first NOS watch... DeLuca inside

1. Fost May 30, 2015

Hi Guys,

This week was a crazy week for me. Some members should be tired to receive MP asking for precious feedback on several watches i always loved to add in my modest collection...But for this one i didn't ask anybody and jump on it so quickly that i not still really clear for me how things happened. That is a very important one for me as it is my first NOS watch ... I don't like to use NOS as it is so much used in the wrong way but for this one i think the term couldn't be different. The watch was wear only one time, the day it was bought then put in safety box until this week...

I will receive it in a couple of days, but i have quite nice picture that i would share with you if someone find the teasing...

1st clue : It is the first one...

2. Mothra May 30, 2015

fois?

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 30, 2015

That will be an El Primero then.

4. Fost May 30, 2015

First point !

2nd clue: back to the 90's !

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 30, 2015

Probably a Rainbow or De Luca.

6. lwong May 30, 2015

7. Fost May 30, 2015

nicolas07, Mothra, Darlinboy and 4 others like this.
  8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 30, 2015

Amazingly enough i just got a De Luca 1st gen (pre el primero) Last week. Should arrive Monday. The first gen doesn't have the Mercedes hands and is a little simpler looking.

Congratulations to both of us.

Edited May 30, 2015
  9. Fost May 30, 2015

i saw your post Sergio and didn't resist to grab this one! It looks gorgeous ... question now.. will i wear it? ::facepalm2::

10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 30, 2015

If you don't, why have it? ;)

11. Fost May 30, 2015

never dealed with NOS vintage watch so i was assuming it will be like any other. But i hope i will be not thrilled to damage it...

12. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 30, 2015

If you do, it will need a service.

13. Fost May 30, 2015

could explain me why?

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2015

If its NOS it hasn't been serviced in decades, and you really don't want to be wearing an El Primero with no lubrication left, recipe for a big parts bill.

15. Fost May 30, 2015

the watch was controlled to be +1s/day during 10 days. After discussion with the seller, he explained me that the watch was put on a watch winder frequently. So maybe NOS is not the right term anyway, but unworn should be better.

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2015

Hopefully it didn't spend too much time on the winder, it needed lubrication after 5 or so years, its now been 20 so being left on a winder especially is a bad idea until its been serviced.

17. Fost May 30, 2015

i will think about it !thanks !

18. alam May 30, 2015

Edited May 30, 2015
  19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 30, 2015

Yeah, buying is extremely contagious. You can always see trends on particular models as they are brought to the light by one member or another. That's why forums are so enabling.

You should wear it, why not?, what does it matter the state it's in?

On Service I can tell you mine is going to go straight to the store, 1st to authenticate and second to see if it needs service right away. It doesn't matter if it is keeping time or not, things always work until they don't and performance is not always a declining arch. El Primero in particular has a very, very high rate Chrono movement. A lot of demands are placed on a Chrono that measures 10th of seconds and beats at 36000 an hour. At least have someone look at it and advice you as to the state is on.

Lastly, I never believe, nor do I really care, If a watch has been living on a safe for 30 years. If it has then it really needs servicing. If it has been set on a winder I seriously question the sanity of someone that would go into a safe regularly, set a watch in a winder that they haven't used in years and don't plan on using, and then get's it straight into the safe again. It just den's make that much logical sense.

I summary: oils deteriorate being used or not being used, other parts need attention as well and you will safe $ if you service before it breaks. Another reason is, depending on provenance, you do want the watch to be open and checked for legitimacy reasons. Replicas of these models do exist, frankness do exist as well. Consider it part of your buying budget when purchasing vintage.

20. Fost May 30, 2015

thanks for all your advice. I will take care of this one for sure!
    Just to finish the story, the seller appears to be someone whith a huge knowledge in watches as he is a collector since 40 years now. He explained me that he bough several watches to a strange guy during his business (not related to watches). The guy bought several watches in the 80-90s and never wore it. This one is a part of the lot, i heard about some nice tudor chronograph as well. Why he didn't wear them..? i don"t know..but the fact is this one has absolutely no scratches , not a single little one, even on the band...I will check of course when i will receive it!

i can't wait !!