Forums Latest Members

New ebay Scam Tactic...Noobs Beware

1. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 5, 2017

Yesterday I snagged a ridiculous steal on the bay...one that I knew was too good to be true, but with the e Commerce profilactic protecting against Scamsyphilis, I took a roll...

Emailed the seller a couple of questions after payment and never heard back.

Early this morning I got an alert from PP that my payment had been refunded with a note stating an issue with the PP account, and if I still wanted the watch, they would send me an invoice.

I said sure, and messaged through ebay as well.

Got a payment request, not an invoice, from another email address and PP user...um...ok. Also got a payment request from Square Pay...yeah right!

Scam is to hack a legit ebay user and PP account...accept payment...refund payment...send request from other PP account outside on ebay...vanish into the wind.

Rather complex, but would fool a noob in a dirt road second.

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 5, 2017

Have you informed EBay and PP? Sounds insane.

Jwit likes this.
  3. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Mar 5, 2017

Got my lady a fancy canda goose jacket for Valentine's Day and got this shitty smelly green men's xxl shit , should have seen her face ... took 3 weeks to get my money back

4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 5, 2017

Not yet...getting ahold of PP takes longer than finding a DON...

khmt2, Spacefruit and Jwit like this.
  5. MaiLollo Mar 5, 2017

Internet is a wild wild place. Best advice is to just think about every thing you do and not go outside your comfort zone as far as how to do a deal...

Spacefruit likes this.
  6. Buck2466 Mar 5, 2017

Thanks for taking the hit for the team and coming out relatively unscathed! Scammers....lower than the underside of dog shit.

Don Bocadillo and night0wl like this.
  7. WatchVaultNYC Mar 5, 2017

nice. Square Pay is not secure then?

8. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 5, 2017

Not sure...or willing to find out!

9. night0wl Mar 5, 2017

10. spin_transistor Mar 5, 2017

Important to color inside the lines. Proceed outside at your own risk!

11. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 5, 2017

1.5hrs on hold with PP...cannot even report...ridic

12. mokofoko One sad panda Mar 5, 2017

Related--I was selling something a few weeks ago, it sold, but the payment was reversed by paypal soon after. Contacted the buyer and it was an unauthorized purchase. Relisted, sold within hours and yet again--reversed payment by paypal. Another unauthorized purchase. So sellers beware too :) Must be an awful lot of people having their accounts hacked lately.

Of course, the names and shipping addresses used didn't at all match the addresses on record. You'd think that people would get in trouble when they're on record like this, but no, I guess identity theft and fraud aren't illegal at all :(

13. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 5, 2017

Over 2.5hrs on the phone with PP and ebay...jesus what a goat roping.

PP didn't seem to care about the scam, said they could only open a case with a transaction...could not look into a user otherwise...great policy.

Ebay on the other hand was very thankful and said that they were researching the seller and account. We will see what happens as the seller relisted the Rolex and there are plenty of people bidding.

Always trust your gut...

Spacefruit likes this.
  14. mokofoko One sad panda Mar 5, 2017

Peh. I once called up ebay to report someone engaging in shill bidding (on top of selling counterfeit omega boxes)--the proof was indisputable, really. They said they'd investigate it. Months later, the same seller was clearly still playing the same shill bidder game, same fake boxes. Ebay doesn't care as long as they're not losing money.

15. night0wl Mar 5, 2017

See my above posts in how to close out your eBay and PayPal accounts.