Forums Latest Members
  1. Dablitzer Oct 23, 2013

As of late I have started to get interested in these 'hummers' or Tuning fork watches as they're to be known. Came across this Chronometer last night with a C-shaped case and what I think is an awesome dial, blue with textured deeper blue centre, and looks like it came in silver too. I've never really had any love for these before, but I'm starting to appreciate their craftsmanship more and more. And the dials are magnificent.

I did some research and found this catalogue excerpt from 1974, 10 years before I was born! Amazing to think they created this kind of watch in those days... :D

It fascinates me to think they used the movement license from Bulova too.

[​IMG]

I just had to start this thread now in excitement and anticipated, as the watch is on its way from the US. I will update in due course. Meanwhile, let's see any of yours? :)

Edit: gatorcpa - may I ask what the correct buckle would have been? :thumbsup:

2. Ton67 Oct 23, 2013

I think the movement is Bulova in these watches isn't it?

3. Dablitzer Oct 23, 2013

Yup, I believe the f300's were licensed by Bulova. I believe the movement in these was used in many other watch brands too, like Zenith/Movado, Titus, IWC, and a few others

4. Ton67 Oct 23, 2013

I love those tuningfork watches. They represent the 1960's satellite technology. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382535665.350099.jpg
    Dablitzer likes this.
  5. Dablitzer Oct 23, 2013

Great Accutron! I believe the Bulovas were extremely popular at that time, hence the Swiss watch companies wanting some of the action! I think the movements were common at the time so the value is determined by the model, for instance, some constellations seem to do well, and other uncommon variations..

Apparantly Omega was one of the only companies that designed their own tuning fork movement - Omega Megasonic, which didn't infringe on Bulovas patent. And only around 10k were made. Extremely intricate engineering went into them with little monetary return. I believe they were very expensive watches at that time.

6. ulackfocus Oct 23, 2013

I was briefly into Accutrons and found them to be more expensive to maintain than they were worth. There are varying opinions on them, although most do agree they're an important part of history.

Alex, that blue dial came on mechanical watches too:

[​IMG]

7. Dablitzer Oct 23, 2013

Very nice Dennis! What's the reference? I don't think that is the same dial as mine though.

Edit: here's a close up:-

[​IMG]

cvalue13 likes this.
  8. Hijak Oct 23, 2013

Dennis is that from the seventies?

9. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Oct 23, 2013

I like tuning forks with a bezel :)
    [​IMG]

This Bulova is one of my favorites. I can't find a picture of my example right now. This picture was borrowed from Hodinkee

[​IMG]

watchyouwant, Ton67 and Dablitzer like this.
  10. Dablitzer Oct 23, 2013

Nice pair Joe! ;)

11. Ton67 Oct 23, 2013

I really like the buzzing sound of the Bulova accutron. Does the Megasonic make a same noise?

12. ulackfocus Oct 23, 2013

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 23, 2013

I don't think there was a special F300 buckle. Probably just a regular steel buckle with an Omega logo.
    gatorcpa

14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 23, 2013

I love the sound my two make, especially when they rest on a resonant surface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dablitzer likes this.
  15. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Oct 23, 2013

try to get a few NOS spare movements , if you want to stay with these. they come up from time to time as ESA`s and other brands, but that little shaped makers plaque on the movement is interchangeable...... kind regards. achim....... funny, bought one last week in a massive flightmaster like case with a brown dial. still in the mail.....

16. Tritium Oct 24, 2013

I don´t know the sound of the omega´s, but this Longines is really noisy.
    With my hand under the pillow I can fell it all over my head.:eek:
    I love how the second hand moves like an automatic.

la foto 3.JPG
    la foto 2.JPG

Ton67 and Dablitzer like this.
  17. Dablitzer Oct 24, 2013

::love:: Sweeet Dial!

18. Tritium Oct 24, 2013

Thanks.
    It´s an inherited NOS from my grandfather.

19. Ton67 Oct 24, 2013

I never tried sleeping with the Bulova. But I can imagine that the buzzing noise can be easily noticed at night. :)

Lovely watch.

20. Dablitzer Oct 24, 2013

Lovely heirloom. That case could shave you! I really like the smooth sweep, will post a video when it arrives! :p