Forums Latest Auctions Members

New Coronavirus, Covid-19 information thread ( ✨posting rules imposed)

1. Larry S

Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 28, 2020

Why would I want my portfolio to bottom out now that I’m retired? :whipped:

2. gefmey

gefmey Jan 28, 2020

As another microbiologist, I agree with all your statements, however in terms of disease deaths TB is only in the middle of the pack. Gastrointesinal diseases (multiple agents) cause more. I think it's interesting from a psychological perspective, in this era when most people don't think about mortality due to infectious causes much, when there is an outbreak like this one, or SARS or MERS and in raw numbers deaths & morbidity are not really high, everyone seems to go off the deep end. Not that I'm saying this is not serious, because it is, and shows just how unprepared we are for disease outbreaks, and that's SCARY.

EauTerre likes this.
  3. JwRosenthal

JwRosenthal Jan 28, 2020

Just think of someone infected with the Coronavirus like we do Radium dials...keep behind glass and don’t lick them.::rimshot::

Professor, Larry S and Wryfox like this.
  4. Larry S

Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 28, 2020

You are correct. But still, no one wishes for another melt down.

5. Meme-Dweller

Meme-Dweller Jan 28, 2020

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

Media alarmism. The flu is significantly more deadly and kills more people each and every year. And the yearly vaccine usually works.

There are people who have already recovered from the Coronavirus. As of right now, there have been 79 reported people who have recovered. The young and elderly and more susceptible, just like the flu.

6. JwRosenthal

JwRosenthal Jan 28, 2020

Not just your country my friend.

7. BlackTalon

BlackTalon Jan 28, 2020

I have to imagine that describes pretty much every single country on Earth, and probably some on other planets as well.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  8. khanmu

khanmu Jan 28, 2020

I read an article in Foreign Policy today, which pointed out that, thankfully so far, young kids and expecting mothers have largely not figured in the death toll. They speculated that it could be related to the kids who’d had measles vaccine recently (and also rubella vaccine offered to expectant mothers) conferring protection against other illnesses.

This was also pointed out after SARS - the Foreign Policy article is here:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/2...han-coronavirus-a-tentative-clinical-profile/

Other articles/ studies that references work on this:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...protection-for-other-diseases?t=1580255777030

9. Wetworks

Wetworks Jan 28, 2020

I agree with the first part, the second part not so much. Flu vaccine efficacy typically hovers around 50-60% IIRC. That's not what I would term as "usually works" but I suppose technically that's an accurate statement.

10. ExpiredWatchdog

ExpiredWatchdog Jan 28, 2020

Cuz they're hungry and wild animals are free.

03Hemi likes this.
  11. Dan S

Dan S Jan 28, 2020

Prairie Dogs are our local bubonic plague carrier. A few cases generally show up each year and preventative measures are taken pretty seriously. Generally speaking we also take West Nile seriously, and have proactive large-scale testing for mosquitos carrying the disease. All of these highly communicable diseases have great potential for harm, and once they get a toehold in the population, they can really cause serious damage. I have a long-planned trip to China on my calendar for May, but I think it's now looking pretty doubtful.

I was talking about this with one of my Chinese students yesterday, and he was telling me that Chinese people are dramatically more mobile now, compared to the days of the SARS epidemic, because of the high-speed train network. They are quite concerned, and anyone who has recently traveled from the Wuhan area is in home quarantine.

Edited Jan 28, 2020
    kkt and Larry S like this.
  12. Walrus

Walrus Jan 28, 2020

SARS was about 17 years ago I believe and we still have no vaccine for that. But this is taking off a lot faster than SARS. Coronavirus has done it in weeks what it took SARS months to do.

Edited Jan 28, 2020
  13. Walrus

Walrus Jan 28, 2020

Not only food consumption in China but just that so many people live in close proximity to livestock has made it the top breeding ground for flu strains. I took a train ride from Beijing to Hefei, I don’t remember how many hours it was but I slept on the train. We would be in a major city equal to any modern city in the world and then pass through farmland with no tractors to be seen just ox pulling plows. It’s a fascinating country and I’ll definitely go again but it’s tough living for a lot of people.

14. Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix Jan 28, 2020

15. 03Hemi

03Hemi Jan 29, 2020

Actually, I'm very pro-vaccine and people are stupid if they don't vaccinate their children, I was only showing the absurdity of the media, "we're all gonna die" "OMG global warming" nonsense.
    Screenshot_20200127-150019.png

Edited Jan 29, 2020
  16. Archer

Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 29, 2020

"Anti-vaxers" are the "flat-earthers" of the 21st century...they play on emotions to refute sound science, and put others at risk in doing so.

ICONO, MTROIS, cvalue13 and 7 others like this.
  17. Jokr

Jokr Jan 29, 2020

this whole anti vaccer movement is actually scarier than the new coronavirus and there is no treatment in sight.

ConElPueblo, cvalue13, gefmey and 6 others like this.
  18. 03Hemi

03Hemi Jan 29, 2020

Actually, I'm very pro-vaccine and people are stupid if they don't vaccinate their children, I was only showing the absurdity of the media, "we're all gonna die" "OMG global warming" nonsense.

19. Archer

Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 29, 2020

I'm glad to hear you trust the science of vaccines. The fact you don't trust other science is political, rather than media related, based on your posts. You continue to bring this topic up in unrelated threads, despite having been asked several times not to...twice now in this thread...

ICONO, Andy K, Larry S and 1 other person like this.
  20. Professor

Professor Jan 29, 2020

I trust the science behind vaccines, but I've found that the manufacturers of vaccines aren't always to be trusted. Tens of thousands of Children in India fell victim to defective Polio vaccines, being paralyzed by the very vaccine meant to prevent the condition.
    There have been cases of vaccines infected with Meningitis.
    The recent flu vaccine was found ineffective against the most recent strains. So those who took the vaccine are more likely to get the flu because they think they are protected and pass it on to others before they realize they are infected. Not the first time this has happened.

EauTerre and Eve like this.