Forums Latest Auctions Members

New Coronavirus, Covid-19 information thread ( ✨posting rules imposed)

1. Rochete

Rochete Feb 25, 2020

2. Omega-Q

Omega-Q Feb 25, 2020

For what it's worth, check State Department and CDC websites for the latest on travel advisories. US Military has cancelled some exercises due to concerns with COVID-19.

NYCwatchgal likes this.
  3. cicindela

cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 25, 2020

The thread is doing a little better now, some of the weight has been removed.

A reminder: if you are off topic, want to tell a joke, have an ax to grind, or just like to argue...,
    THIS IS NOT THE THREAD FOR YOU , MOVE ALONG.

Ebuster, kov, GregH and 5 others like this.
  4. Larry S

Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 25, 2020

Let’s all hope, pray to whomever, think healing thoughts etc. so that this pandemic subsides and we can get back to life.

5. Dan S

Dan S Feb 25, 2020

Ultimately we can all take the blue pill, jump into a pod, and avoid all possibility of contagion forever.

Larry S likes this.
  6. dennisthemenace

dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Feb 25, 2020

Did anyone comprehend what Steve posted 35 minutes ago?

7. Riviera Paradise

Riviera Paradise Feb 25, 2020

Just updated the title as I think most will agree that Coronavirus/Covid-19 has now progressed to a stage where it is pretty evident that there is cause for concern. Unfortunately this disease does indeed seem to have the potential to generate personal/family/community health issues or daily routine disruption, economic/supply chain disruption.

cvalue13, Joe_A, Dan S and 1 other person like this.
  8. ONEWATCH

ONEWATCH Irony embodied Feb 25, 2020

Business and government are willing to pay a price for the spread. Otherwise they would have stopped all flights, etc., etc. from spreading it.

FBPB likes this.
  9. STANDY

STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 25, 2020

Some countries rely on Tourism

Kmart, gatorcpa, janice&fred and 3 others like this.
  10. ONEWATCH

ONEWATCH Irony embodied Feb 25, 2020

Earlier I posted about the change Black Death brought to England. In the same or another they dug up and tested bodies in the graveyards from that time. Checked against church death records and found that there were three types. One group had a gene that kept them from getting the disease, another group that had a gene that allowed them to get it and survive and a third without any gene protection that died. Seems like the luck of the draw.

11. Nobel Prize

Nobel Prize Sergio Feb 25, 2020

No, we should not.

I understand the intent here, but I still like to meet people face to face.

remember, all video and data Comunications need electricity, and electricity needs a source.... until all sources of electricity have 0 carbon of pollutant output I strongly believe you should stop using your computer, phone, lights and heating.

After all animals and humans lived for a long time with any of these items and they all carry a high impact.

i am saying this assuming you already ride a bike to work and to move around and that you are a vegetarian.

So... change.

Larry S likes this.
  12. Nobel Prize

Nobel Prize Sergio Feb 25, 2020

Not me

13. Riviera Paradise

Although many of us on the OF use technology to connect to global teams (I certainly do), travel is still necessary for some business. I do agree though that at this stage some reevaluation of risk vs benefit for travel will lead to some people postponing holidays or business trips. The impact on tourism (optional travel) will be huge.

However, I fear that with this week's European outbreak we have now significantly reduced the capability for global containment (if there was ever any chance of containment for an influenza type virus). The no. of tourists and business travelers in Northern Italy that will probably return to their country of origin and provoke local spread could be significant.

I have two upcoming business trips to the US in March/April: one for an international business conference and the other for a client workshop/discovery effort. I am seriously considering cancelling the international conference trip where I know there will be groups from Japan, Korea, Italy present.

Of course if this does become a global pandemic and spreads all over the place, it will be pretty irrelevant trying to avoid international travel as your main threat would still be local community transmission.

The only attenuating factor I can see for SARAS-Cov-2/Covid-19 is the apparent small impact on children/youth. Seeing my children fighting for their lives on ventilator support is definitely something that I would not want to experience.

FBPB and Nobel Prize like this.
  14. Archer

Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 25, 2020

This is a gross misunderstanding of what a lot of travel for work (business) is for. I did my fair share of travel when I worked for a large multinational, and I can tell you if there was a way to avoid it, the company would for the sake of the costs involved in travel alone.

And I was an engineer, not a sales guy...

Longbow and cvalue13 like this.
  15. FBPB

FBPB Feb 25, 2020

Look further up... it's not me who strayed into personal territory:

"Larry S: I see ... and I also see that you are not interested in any but your own ... I shudder to think of the kind of world you desire ..."

16. FBPB

FBPB Feb 25, 2020

I would not wish that on anyone, young or old, my children or family, or the children, parents and grandparents of others.

The fact remains that as this virus started to take hold, some people actually went out of their way to take a holiday even though they might be sick, to such and extent that they took medication to lower their body temp in order to pass airport screening : https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/worl...s-to-enter-france—and-brags-online/ar-BBZGM6h

That is just sick.

17. Rochete

Rochete Feb 25, 2020

I tried to buy some masks today in Barcelona, several pharmacies... to no avail.

18. Riviera Paradise

Agreed,and I am sorry if I seemed callous or self-centered in my post, that was not my intention. Having seen up close two families deal with unexpected adolescent deaths I know how devastating it can be for parents. In both (unrelated) families the deaths of their sons lead to stress related cancer and the consequent deaths of one of the parents (mother in one family and father in the other) within 12-24 months.

Longbow, Uniqez and FBPB like this.
  19. FBPB

FBPB Feb 25, 2020

From what I have read locally, they have been sold out for weeks in Europe.

One possible solution is a mask from Hornbach (home improvement store?) that will filter out paint fumes. That might work?

From what I have read, the masks is "meh" at best for helping you. It's better to wash one's hands thoroughly.

20. Mouse_at_Large

Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Feb 25, 2020

For those of a nervous disposition, I wouldn't recommend looking at this, but the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) produces a virus Master Species list . The latest is 2018 and is available for download from here https://talk.ictvonline.org/files/master-species-lists/m/msl/8266.

Out of 5560 lines, it would appear that 38 are of the Coronaviradae Family. There would seem to be a helluva lot more mammalian viruses out there than I ever imagined :eek: