Forums Latest Members
  1. DJP Feb 9, 2013

My work colleagues very kindly gave me the following as a 50th birthday present, for which I am very grateful.

face.JPG

back.JPG

I am very interested in finding out a bit more about the watch, its age, history, model, characteristics, rarity or otherwise etc etc. All I know is that it is probably 1970's. A quick glance around the forum suggests I need to get the back off for the serial number, which I am very nervous of doing!

I'd be really grateful if any of the enthusiasts could enlighten and guide me.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Gerhard Feb 9, 2013

It seems to be a Ref. 168.017. The dial is probably redone as it has Tritium dots and this would require left and right of the inscribtion SWISS MADE a "T-"
    For opening it you would need a special case opening tool which you can easily get at EBAY.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 9, 2013

Its most commonly called a C-Case Constellation, they're a very comfortable and well made dress watch, they must have liked you a lot :)

4. DJP Feb 9, 2013

Thank you, although I don't quite understand what you mean about the dots and the left and right?

5. DJP Feb 9, 2013

Thank you, and yes I am very lucky. If I have the back removed will I be able to learn more?

6. Sherbie Feb 9, 2013

Yes you will. Best to take it to a local watchmaker, or an outlet where they quick change batteries/ straps etc, and ask them nicely to take the back of for you. You can then note down the numbers, and take a few macro photos of the movement, and the caseback reference numbers. If you can load them on here, members will give you some more information.

best of luck, Paul

7. Mothra Feb 9, 2013

alternatively, try a caseback ball (you can get them for few pounds off ebay) and if it wasn't tightened by a gorilla may get the back off with zero risk of damage. I have a stainless steel c-shape and i wear it more than any other in my collection, there's just something about it. What a spectacularly thoughtful, unique and brave present...

8. DJP Feb 9, 2013

Thank you for this, I am very grateful to my colleagues, they have known I would like one for a lttle while. I think I would rather entrust the job to an expert, even though to someone who knows what they are doing I'm sure it's a piece of cake.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 11, 2013

Correct reference is 168.0056

Capture.JPG

Not quite sure if this dial originally had tritium or not. By the time this watch was made in the mid-'70's, the watch companies were switching over to luminova. That means that the dial needed to be charged (exposed to light) before it would glow.

Try taking it out in the sun, or using a strong desk lamp. Then see if it glows in the dark.
    gatorcpa

10. DJP Feb 11, 2013

Brilliant, thank you for this! It brings the watch to life IMHO. I think it must have luminova as I did hold an LED torch over it for a minute or so (my wife is convinced I have lost the plot over this) and it did glow, but only for a very short while. It may well be the watch has not been exposed to sunlight much (especially in London at the mo :( ), or does the luminova wear out over time?

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 11, 2013

Like anything else, I'm sure it does wear out.

Not considered a big deal,
    gatorcpa