Forums Latest Members

New career? Back to school? Anyone else?

1. Rodmar Feb 1, 2017

I've decided recently to go back to school and for a possible job change. Am I crazy to leave a career that I'm "good" at to possibly achieve something better....anyone else ever attempt such a thing?

Just registered to take the GRE later this month and have an interview already scheduled with a new company and totally different career path.

Just looking for stories and advice! Figure the OF community might have something to offer.

watch3s, blacktiger, Paedipod and 2 others like this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 1, 2017

Been in Procurement with increasing and varied levels of responsibility my whole career. In my 40's I was offered a marketing role after leading the logistics of a big product launch. I turned it down. Sometimes I wonder whether that was a good idea or not. Now I buy marketing services at a global level and feel more like a marketer than a commercial person. I've had a great career so no complaints. I say if you have a passion, go for it.

Jwit, Rodmar and Lukeeesteve like this.
  3. b-16707 Feb 1, 2017

Im with the you-wont-know-until-youve-tried bandcamp.

noelekal, Jwit, Rodmar and 3 others like this.
  4. alam Feb 1, 2017

These guys and their craft appear to be in high demand .... https://omegaforums.net/threads/perfect-timing-an-article-about-the-swiss-watchmaking-craft.23628/ ... well, at least around here ;)

kkt and Rodmar like this.
  5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 1, 2017

You got a do what makes you happy. And if you are good at what you do now, you will be good at whatever you do in the future.

I quite my job 3.5 years ago. It took me a year to plan. I was already doing other things part time for income. I planned out how much income I would need to pay the bills and how much during that year I needed to save. And also what changes I needed to make so that I could increase my part time income (this is why I saved during my year of planning) and it all worked out. No regrets.

Planning realistic goals was key for me.

Hold the vision and let the process work.... this is actually the saying my wife has on her nightstand today. She rotates them every so often, but I thought I would share this one.

6. dialstatic Feb 1, 2017

I don't feel quite comfortable getting into the specifics, but this is my story in broad strokes: got my masters, got my PhD, worked in academia for about a decade. Hard work (especially relative to the pay) and a difficult career perspective, but quite rewarding in other ways. Still, I always had that nagging feeling that I wanted to try 'something else'. Never had the guts to step away from something that I was good at (and enjoyed), but then a personal tragedy forced my hand. I decided to look at it as an opportunity, explore aforementioned nagging feeling, and found a new challenge that intrinsically motivates me. I guess this is that 'personal growth' thing everybody's always talking about. Seriously: do it. I'm sure you can think of good reasons not to, but there will only be more of those the longer you wait. And then you die with regrets. I too will share one of my wife's wisdoms: "A good life is the biggest barrier to a great life".

7. Rodmar Feb 1, 2017

8. WatchVaultNYC Feb 1, 2017

I wanted to be a journalist or a musician in college, but got into computer science as it was a "difficult course" back in the day. I became a programmer, then a consultant in IT/Finance. Got to see the world but hated each of the 17 years I was in that career.

Like @Taddyangle I got into e-commerce concurrently while I was working a day job - via a hobby- my love of cars. 5 years ago there was a mass layoff at the firm I was working at, and coincidentally my business the year it happened equaled what I was making at my day job. So I took the leap, went all-in with the business and never looked back. In fact I am probably unemployable at this point.

Absolutely no regrets. I make far more now that I could ever had made if I continued to sell my soul in corporate, with far less work. And the time I can spend with my daughter now vs what I would have had I traveled most of the week for work is incomparable. And a business where I can indulge my car and watch hobbies?

Edited Feb 1, 2017
    jollyjek, watch3s, Omega1 and 11 others like this.
  9. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Feb 1, 2017

There was a guy who is now dead. He is one of my business heroes. His name is Bill Lear. Look him up and you will see a story of some huge ups and downs. Betting everything on the next project. Died in his 70's betting everything on the next roll of the business dice. Go for it.

10. Rodmar Feb 1, 2017

I think we both decided to do the same thing before making any type of move. I just recently sold a majority of my firearm collection to help cushion our family. it was a hard choice but had to be done to protect ourselves financially, and a smart move on my part I think. I should be able to cover tuition 100%, and not work for a year if it came down to it :), so I'd say we're prepared and have that basis covered.

I'm hoping like you to have no regrets after it's all said and done.

Just ordered a new laptop today to prepare more for the GRE and to have a computer set up for classes beginning this summer. It's hard to make all these changes with a 2 month old now as well, but I'm giving it all I have. It'll pay off in the end right?

I'll just have to let the process work.

11. Rodmar Feb 1, 2017

I think personal tragedies seem to always push us in a new direction? I think mine was Cancer in my mid 20's just a year or so ago now. I don't think this career is right for me or my family now it seems, but maybe I'm being short sighted? Curious if you ever thought that during your "tragedy"? Don't go into details if you don't want to, it's more of a rhetorical question really :)

I'd agree being comfortable is harder to get away from then you think. It seems the wife's are very wise.

12. West Slope Feb 1, 2017

I have often contemplated law school as many of my family are attorneys but then I consider the cost, time and career path and typically end up realizing I would want to do the job I have now.....Lots of people make plenty of money but have no time to enjoy it.

I always remember a friend who was a hunting guide telling me about his well-heeled clients who would try to cram a years worth of living into two weeks in the woods.....

Edited Feb 1, 2017
    Rodmar likes this.
  13. 63TR4 Feb 1, 2017

I took the GRE fairly recently (just under a year ago now) so I could apply to grad programs, and would just recommend to take a few practice exams to know what to expect. Don't worry about the exact questions, just try and get a feel for how questions are formatted. Other than that, just try to get some rest beforehand and eat plenty in advance, it's one marathon of a test! Best of luck with it!

Rodmar likes this.
  14. Rodmar Feb 1, 2017

I think the issue now is I don't make what I think I should considering the work involved. Not that some days aren't easy and lax, but I'd rather make more, have a steady work load and a better work/life balance. With scheduling, I miss out on quite a bit of family time IMO.

15. Rodmar Feb 1, 2017

I hear it's a long test and I've been out of school for a few years now. I think you offer some great advice when it comes to learning the format and taking practice exams. I plan to take a couple practice exams this week actually.

Maybe I shouldn't have scheduled the test for 9am and it's an hour away haha

63TR4 likes this.
  16. Rodmar Feb 1, 2017

I'll look him up @ONEWATCH

17. West Slope Feb 1, 2017

Well clearly every senario is unique but the other thing I did a while ago (17 years) was move....I had lived in Seattle for most of my life and it finally occurred to me I wasn't happy being there anymore, which was a big change for me. I now live in the Sierra Foothills east of Sacramento and that alone made a big difference. I have had other friends who have made similar decisions, leaving the big city for say Idaho or Montana....None of them seem to regret it.

Rodmar likes this.
  18. Jhh834 Really, I only owned it for 2 weeks! Feb 1, 2017

I went to 4 year college right out of high school, had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, picked a random major, graduated in 4 years, worked a few cubicle jobs, hated it, and quit to go back to school. I realized I really wanted to be a special education teacher and started that path at age 26. I had left my comfy job that I hated, started back up at school, and worked at office max making $9 an hour. It was a rough few years, but I'm so glad I did it.

19. Rodmar Feb 1, 2017

With being in the military, I've moved quite a bit. As a matter of fact I'm from Louisiana, but live in the Midwest now. I'm quite happy where I am and I think it was a good move. I agree that sometimes a move is in order, and I'm glad I didn't just go back home after getting out. I've seen much of the US, so I was prepared to venture once I left.

noelekal and West Slope like this.
  20. Rodmar Feb 1, 2017

Same here, went to a 4 year school after the military, and grabbed a degree in something that interested me, but I didn't know what I wanted to do with it :) I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life now. I worked full time while going to school full time, so I missed out on the college experience, but maybe this this is my second chance :cool:
    I'm sure it'll be a rough 2 years this go around as well, but like you, I'm sure i'll be glad I did it. I just wish I felt that now.