Forums Latest Members
  1. CaptainWinsor Apr 2, 2019

I got an email about some updates to policy and out of character, decided to actually read it. WTF? One of the new things is that if you issue a refund for goods purchased you won’t be refunded the original commission on the sale. Thats going to hurt a lot of sellers. I’ll be looking for another payment system to use

• We’re changing how we treat refunds. If you refund (partially or fully) a transaction to a buyer or a donation to a donor, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller will not be returned to you.

2. Davidt Apr 2, 2019

If that's true that absolutely stinks.

Conditions are primed for someone like Transferwise to come in and take on PayPal.

Cad290 likes this.
  3. rcs914 Apr 2, 2019

Which is just going to mean this clause in any auction "Any refund for goods will be minus original PayPal commission fees on the sale, as these are not refunded by PayPal".

4. Petervl Apr 2, 2019

Pay-Pal is the worst thief in the World, even worse then American Express

Mac5, Perseus, WiZARD and 2 others like this.
  5. dputydwg1 Apr 2, 2019

Agree with that 1000%

6. vintagemillenial Apr 2, 2019

how is Amex?

7. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Apr 2, 2019

Pretty strong words.
    If you don't like their fees then don't use their service.

8. tyrantlizardrex Apr 2, 2019

Typically thieves don't ask you to agree to their terms and conditions before using their service.

9. sjg22 Apr 2, 2019

They do when you’re more-or-less required to use them in order to access eBay, the primary collectible sales site for the western world....

Mac5 and Cad290 like this.
  10. tyrantlizardrex Apr 2, 2019

To quote my learned friend...

We all have a choice. ;)

Larry S, Deafboy and blufinz52 like this.
  11. sjg22 Apr 2, 2019

It’s not easy to just “not use their service” if that decision bars you from accessing key platforms.

It’s monopolistic conduct and, frankly, will likely lead to them (eventually) being disrupted by a more user-friendly player.

Perseus, WiZARD, mayankyadav and 2 others like this.
  12. tyrantlizardrex Apr 2, 2019

Sure it is... none of us need to buy anything on the eBay platform... it's 100% a choice.

Last time I checked they were not a key source for anything that could be considered essential to sustaining life ;)

13. WatchShopping Apr 2, 2019

Pretty interesting that they decided to do this, especially since there are much more competitors to choose from nowadays.

14. sjg22 Apr 2, 2019

So you’d define essential services as what, air and water? I think you understood the gist of my comment...

PayPal is very, very commonly used by buyers and sellers on this forum, and more importantly on global platforms like eBay.

Simply suggesting not to use something is genuinely unhelpful. It’s more than acceptable for people to feel that there is an extortionate element to these types of one-sided changes. And complaining about it an open forum is one way of publicizing that amongst regular users of that service.

To completely dismiss any and all commentary by simply suggest not using a service Is a slippery slope that doesn’t go anywhere helpful.

15. tyrantlizardrex Apr 2, 2019

Buyers and sellers on this forum are not bound to use PayPal.

Buyers and sellers on ebay are, as it forms part of the terms of use.

What’s the argument that you’re making?

PayPal as a stand alone service isn’t “fair”? If so, Cool, use another payment transfer service.

Ebay specifying PayPal as a required payment method isn’t “fair”? If so, Cool, don’t use ebay.

Extortion is a strong word when you are not forced to use either of these services.

blufinz52 likes this.
  16. sjg22 Apr 2, 2019

And your point is... never express any disagreement about a service change? Simply never use their service again?

Sorry, don’t agree with that logic.

My point is: I don’t like their change in policy.

Full stop. That’s my point. You may be in favour of the policy change. Fair enough. But i don’t see why myself and others not being happy about seems to be unacceptable to you.

17. tyrantlizardrex Apr 2, 2019

My point is that you always have a choice.

Complaining about a service change on a forum that has nothing to do with the service in question, and does not require you to use the service in any way, shape or form seems spectacularly pointless.

If the OP, or anyone concerned, has questions about PayPal making a policy change, why not talk to PayPal about it?

Ask them why they’re making the change, ask them how it could affect you as an ebay seller, or whether it will actually affect you at all.

I have no idea what they might say, but I can guarantee that you’ll be able to make a better, and more informed choice about which payment platform to use after you’ve spoken to them, than you will by complaining on a watch forum, and calling a TOS change “BS”.

Out.

18. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 2, 2019

Businesses have a right to set their terms. As far as monopolistic goes, PayPal is not requiring their use, eBay is.

Edited Apr 2, 2019
  19. CaptainWinsor Apr 2, 2019

Actually you don’t have to use PayPal as a service on eBay but then you must set up a credit card account to allow buyers to pay with Visa or whatever. I just don’t understand their logic here. I suppose they’re not worried about losing business but I won’t take any chances selling there after these changes. The way it’s set up now, people can ask for a return for almost anything and eBay grants it. They make you pay for return shipping and now you’ll lose the 3% they took originally. Legal shakedown is what this is

20. TimtimeIntl Apr 2, 2019

Yow, my first read after being away for over a week. Not refunding your 3% is pretty crummy and I thank you for the heads up even if I have not sold on ebay for over a decade.