Forums Latest Members

New Autavia Flyback Chronograph - hidden at Basel 2019

1. Riviera Paradise Mar 22, 2019

Well Mr Lugduno at Calibre 11 Forums has just posted a picture of what looks like an interesting forthcoming release from Tag Heuer for 2019. Flyback Chronograph, chronometer rated, using the new carbon composite isograph hairspring. If this is kept at 41mm it could be a winner.

https://forums.calibre11.com/threads/2019-autavia-isograph-calibre-5.91835/page-5#post-1191602

EDIT - apparently Calibre 11 has pulled the image due to embargo concerns, so I will do the same here on the OF. I was not aware that this might be an issue.

Edited Mar 22, 2019
  2. Inpw Mar 22, 2019

Not bad, looks better than the three-hander. I'm still not fully convinced, though.

3. ejj Mar 22, 2019

I hate the TagHeuer logo. Agreed it's better as a chrono. I think the movement is really cool. but I'd love it in a true retro-chrono with printed dial, smaller case, less writing on the dial.

4. Faz Mar 22, 2019

....that date window in the minute totalizer sub dial....::facepalm1::. But I don't "hate" it.;)

Otherwise a handsome chronograph....

5. Folgono Mar 22, 2019

That's funny, I was thinking while watching the picture that this date was tastefully integrated !

6. Faz Mar 22, 2019

I agree and have to admit that it is well done. For my taste, I find it a distraction...just me.

7. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 22, 2019

Image is gone or is it me?!

8. ejj Mar 22, 2019

Yep--deleted by a Mod.

Lonestar likes this.
  9. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 22, 2019

Dayum... Must have been legit then...:D

10. abrod520 Mar 22, 2019

Images that have been posted around the web are being taken down since it's still under embargo apparently. Consider yourself lucky you haven't seen it though.... let's just say that TAG should be grateful for Tudor's monstrosity taking all the negative attention

Lonestar and wkimmd like this.
  11. Riviera Paradise Mar 22, 2019

I sort of agree with you on the panda dial version as the smaller subidal did stick out a like a sore thumb in that specific configuration. But the black dial with three black subdials was in no way as bad as you mentioned...indeed most of the comments of the "unfortunate few", who did see it on this thread were more positive than negative.

I normally agree with you on many of your posts, but calling this out as being on same level as the Tudor P01 is very harsh, very harsh indeed.

12. abrod520 Mar 22, 2019

I missed the black dial model initially - the Instagram posts that showed it were deleted already by the time I woke up, but the silver dial one remained. However I was pointed to another forum which still has photos of it up in the past hour so I see it now.

I'll agree that the black dial isn't as terrible as the silver dial BUT I think it goes too far in the other direction, namely anonymity. That watch looks like a fashion watch, something you add to your clothing purchase for $200 at the register.

I stand by my comments on the silver dial, though I did not say it was on the same level as the Tudor. I said that if it weren't for the Tudor, this watch would be the ugliest shown at Basel this year. TAG are a directionless, craven bunch but Tudor have gotten their hands on a shipment of the wrong psychedelics - the P01 is on a level even TAG cannot match (though they clearly are trying).

Riviera Paradise likes this.