Forums Latest Members
  1. Kizzi Oct 18, 2013

I've been working on bringing the NASA Velcro watchband blueprint SEB12100030 to life in a faithful homage to the original design, and like to show the progress so far.

My aim was to preserve the look of feel of the original materials used while creating a wearable short strap. Materials like Armalon® (also used in the Apollo capsule couch), Beta cloth and the special Velcro used on the spacesuits (made from woven Teflon loops on to beta fabric tape) are either no longer made or not easily available. To reproduce the watcband, I've made up two alternatives, using either white or bronze colored woven Nylon loop tape.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The reason was there are two variations are because I couldn't decide between two distinct appearances of the Velcro tape used in the Apollo mission. I think it depended on either manufacturing differences in the Teflon, or light conditions in the photographs, or a combination of both.

[​IMG]

And these can be seen in color picture of Apollo 8 and Apollo 9 astronauts

[​IMG][​IMG]

I've been trialling them for past couple of months, and they've kept easily clean and fresh. Any dust on the white Velcro can be washed off under the sink tap with a bit of hand soap, and patted dry with paper towel - they don't absorb much water because the back of the strap is coated with silicone rubber - keeping it looking good, and feeling comfortable.

I'm not sure I want to use the NASA worm logo, though. Would need permission from NASA before I sell them, for one thing. But there is a capability to have any picture/strap line combination on the label, so long as it within 2¼" x ¾" (55 mm x 20 mm) , so I'm open to suggestions what would cool to have with my Speedmaster...

Mad Dog, MKelley, Varasc and 4 others like this.
  2. lando Oct 19, 2013

like it.

As the NASA worm was introduced in 1975, it wasn't used in the Apollo-Program.

Was searching for a good picture of Apollo, but didn't find anything interesting, that wasn't connected with NASA.

3. Kizzi Oct 19, 2013

Thanks lando, appreciate the encouragement.

Actually, the strap is a work in progress (been so for quite a while) and I'm not terribly happy with the NASA worm logo myself- a bit too souvenir-ish, which isn't the effect I want at all. But there is this BIG white label that is just crying out to be filled.

This is my latest thoughts - could have different patches and words alongside?

Apollo 11 label.png

4. CdnWatchDoc Oct 19, 2013

I think you are on the right track. However, the pics of Apollo 11 astronauts that I have seen all have black/dark Velcro straps. You may want to change the patch to something less specific, say "Apollo" only...

5. Kizzi Oct 19, 2013

Yes, you're right, the Apollo 11 crew wore the black velcro straps on the actual mission - but Neil did wear the white one during training! I'm thinking less in being 100% correct than providing something a bit different that has an authentic astronaut feel to celebrate the Speedmaster.

[​IMG]

astrosfan likes this.
  6. lando Oct 22, 2013

Looks good on screen.

Does the patch look OK printed out? There is a lot of detail at such a small size.

Have you tried to center the writing instead of left alignment?

I am interested in your project. Thanks for keeping me up to date.

7. Kizzi Nov 27, 2013

8. Tony78 Dec 23, 2015

Hi, are there going to be any more straps for sale? @Kizzi