Forums Latest Members

New arrival - Zenith Chronomaster Sport

1. Mach Aug 26, 2021

After periods of lockdowns, working remotely, and constantly hearing "you're on mute," we have been blessed with some amazing timepiece debuts during 2021. Without any doubts, my absolute favorite debut to date this year has been the Zenith Chronomaster Sport:
    B67A231E-BFF7-4EFA-ADF5-242BC7DAFCC9.jpeg
    Zenith definitely did not have the mute button on when they released this stunning sports chronograph back in January. The debut of the Chronomaster Sport was heard loud and clear by the WIS community. Due to the inevitable comparisons to the "Crowned" heavyweight champion of sports chronographs - the Rolex Daytona - this has probably been one of the most talked-about timepieces of 2021:
    4BC55CAA-5FA3-4241-AFE5-C89E72D93B80.jpeg
    The moment I saw this beauty in the metal at my local AD, it was a no-brainer. They had the black matte dial variant, which I would usually prefer. However, I decided to have them order the white matte dial variant. Perhaps, since I've always been a fan of the El Primero's signature tri-color overlapping sub-dial layout, I believe the black ceramic bezel contrasts perfectly against the stark white dial and the blue, anthracite, and light gray registers:
    73EDBE25-99BF-4019-8DE1-77B9D09C00B5.jpeg
    It incorporates the latest generation of the El Primero "Striking 10th" movement, the 3600 Caliber, which was released in 2019. Although utilized in limited edition pieces, this is the first time Zenith has used it in a regular production model. This high frequency mechanism beats at 36,000 vph (5 Hz) and offers 60 hours of power reserve. Despite this being a sport chronograph, Zenith was not shy about showing off their latest accomplishment by providing us with an awesome view of the engine room:
    E93E9C1C-A20C-4508-BA1F-616A2F655857.jpeg
    For those of you unfamiliar with the El Primero "Striking 10th" 3600 Calibre, this movement allows the user to measure time down to 1/10 of a second. Rather than a tachymeter scale, the black ceramic bezel is engraved in 1/10 of a seconds increments. The central seconds hand completes a full revolution of the dial every 10 seconds. The running seconds is at 9 o'clock (light gray). The 60-seconds counter is at 3 o'clock (blue). Finally, the 60-minute counter is at 6 o'clock (anthracite). In the photo below, the elapsed time is 64.4 seconds:
    1D70BB9F-F73F-429B-BA44-284A2502ACC1.jpeg
    Despite its illustrious history in creating one of the most iconic chronograph movements, the El Primero, Zenith is one of the most overlooked brands and has tended to fly under the radar. I would argue that they have relied too heavily on this movement. Although the brand has undeniably produced some notable models, can anyone identify a truly iconic model within their collection, especially a stainless steel model, which is a requirement in today's environment? It's actually quite difficult. Will the Chronomaster Sport become the true emblem of the brand? Only time will tell.
    932D311E-0920-4586-91F3-3FACF9EC9603.jpeg

Edited Aug 26, 2021
  2. YY77 Aug 26, 2021

Congrats on the new acquisition and a nice write up, isn't the elapsed time actually 64.4 sec or am I wrong.

Mach likes this.
  3. Mach Aug 26, 2021

Thanks! And thanks for catching my mistake. Yes, you are correct and I was wrong! The elapsed time is actually 64.4 seconds, which I have edited.

YY77 likes this.
  4. PaulC77 Aug 26, 2021

Now that is a fantastic looking chrono!
    Great choice on the colour way, I’m off to google the black dialled version for comparison

Mach likes this.
  5. Mach Aug 26, 2021

Thanks, Paul! Don't get me wrong, the black dial is also stunning. But, my mind has been "programmed" to see these tri-color registers on a white dial. But, I may also add the black dial some day . . .;)

6. stevec14 Aug 26, 2021

Awesome pickup. Love this. I have many black watches and the white is definitely on my radar but the black looks great too.

Mach likes this.
  7. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Aug 26, 2021

That'll brighten anyone's day (or pandemic). Congratulations!

Omegafanman and Mach like this.
  8. MTROIS Aug 26, 2021

This is indeed a beautiful watch! Congratulations!! :thumbsup:

For reference, would you mind sharing your wrist size with us? (And also the lug to lug dimension if you happen to have it readily available).

Thank you in advance and congrats again!!

Mach likes this.
  9. timoss Aug 26, 2021

Very nice. Think zenith hit a winner with this one. Congrats.

Mach likes this.
  10. Mach Aug 27, 2021

Thanks! That day, I saw a friend who was wearing a Rolex GMT-Master II “Pepsi.” Holding them side by side, it appeared smaller than his Pepsi. My wrist size is 16cm.

Most tend to focus on the diameter of a watch. But, IMHO people need to be more concerned about the lug-to-lug distance. Now, I don’t have any digital calibers to measure myself. However, I’ve read that it’s approximately 46.3mm.

If you’re concerned about it being too big, you may be pleasantly surprised. I’ve read posts by some who were excited that it was “larger” than a Daytona only to be disappointed by how small the Chronomaster Sport appeared on their wrists.

11. Charger_Vital Aug 29, 2021

Gorgeous watch! I saw both the black and the white in person. Both look fantastic. But white just might have an edge for me as well. Wear it in health!!!!

Mach likes this.
  12. jaguar11 Aug 29, 2021

Outstanding!!! Wear in good health.

Mach likes this.
  13. AustinStm Sep 1, 2021

I thought these were impossible to get! And you walked right in and picked one up. Nice.

Mach likes this.
  14. Mach Sep 1, 2021

My AD had the black dial back on a bracelet back in May. I had them order the white dial on a bracelet, which arrived in July. But, with my travel schedule, I wasn’t able to pick it up until late August.

AustinStm likes this.
  15. Lu.. Sep 1, 2021

Congrats beautiful timepiece.....the challenge with Zenith not many ADs unless you go to the city......

Mach likes this.
  16. Mach Sep 4, 2021

There’s only one AD in my state, MA.

17. peterbar77 Sep 4, 2021

Congratulations!! Great watch from a great brand. Wish they had more appreciation these days…

Mach likes this.
  18. Eve Sep 4, 2021

Congratulations on a nice looking watch :thumbsup:
    I tried both dial versions (black and white) this summer. Surely a good looking watch but i just dont have any need for timing on this level.. so it is not a watch for me.
    I think if they have replaced the 9 oclock running seconds with hour chrono register, it would have been a more useful choice.
    The pusher action was insane though, i have never tried a watch that has such a soft and satisfying pusher action :thumbsup:

Mach likes this.
  19. Evose Oct 23, 2021

Amazing watch and congratulations!

I have been contemplating picking one up if I decide to let go of another piece.. still debating. I do have some concern over size although 46 lug to lug isn't horrible and the fact it's smaller than the GMT is a positive sign. Might pursue soon.

20. Toishome Oct 23, 2021

Congrats. I have seen it in person and I have to say it's a great watch.

Peter Morley likes this.