Forums Latest Members

New Arrival: Very Rare Vintage Speedmaster (a Real Marmite Piece)

1. Tom Dick and Harry Feb 12, 2013

Morning all

Wanted to share another new arrival with you, something that might not be to everyones taste but is as rare as teeth on a hen! Apologies for the pics but I am wearing it today so they have been snapped on my Iphone whilst at work!

It was listed as a BIN on one of our favourite auction site, terrible pics but I saw the potential, I knew it had a dink in the case but otherwise it looked pretty good! Imagine my amazement when it arrived and it as completely NOS! It had obviously been damaged on display and as such never worn! Original box and blank papers included, even the case back seal entact!

[​IMG]

The watch is an EXTREMELY rare Speedmaster MKII ‘Gold Plated’, the case is 20 micron GP and in stunning condition as the images show, it is just back from STS where it has had a health check and a tiny amount of work around the dink to conceal it, the dink is visible but I dind't want to detract from the originality so opted to not have it completely refinished, also it really isnt that noticable .

[​IMG]

These watches were introduced in 1972 under reference MD1450.32, they were produced in tiny numbers in the early to mid 70’s, no where near the volume of any other mechanical speedmaster model and as such are extremely rare to find in any condition, especially this original.

[​IMG]

So, the watch is rare……..... but there is something else that makes it even rarer, this has a factory fitted racing dial, you will not that it is not the modern luminova replacement but the original ‘t swiss t’ example and totally original to the piece, this is one of two I have ever seen and the other one was beaten to hell!

As I said not everyones cup of tea but to find a good GP now is nigh on impossible but to find a NOS one with factory racing dial is I guess a one off!

[​IMG]

Cheers Tom

dkpw, NT931, Mothra and 2 others like this.
  2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 12, 2013

Red bezel too. Congratulations !

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 12, 2013

Na that's definitely a cool watch, looks great mate!

4. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Feb 12, 2013

That dial looks like it's just come straight out of the factory, ever so crisp!

5. Dablitzer Feb 12, 2013

Great watch, I'd happily wear it !

6. Wheels Feb 13, 2013

Now that's sexier than a great big sexy thing ;)
    Congrats!

7. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 13, 2013

I think it is an reassemble of the dial and hands from an MKII racing and the case from an MKII in gold.
    This is the right dial for that case ;)
    [​IMG]
    credits: watchco in Australia

8. Jaguar Feb 13, 2013

I am not sure about yours Tom
    They had always the same colour

And the dial for the gold is the one you see on mine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one, the black one WAS a racing when I bot it in 1973.

In the mid 80es I wanted it to be changed into the black one by Omega together with a service - work was done in Bienne.

The Gold + the Racing are NOS - Checked and approved by Omega in Bienne last year. (they know me an my watches)

Privateday7 and Dash1 like this.
  9. NiklasARvid Feb 13, 2013

Fantastic watches!!!

But are the Hour and Minute hand are different here on the black MK2 than on the std. Speedy Pro, much shorter pointy ends and a thicker Hour hand? or what are these hands? I think I have seen them in the catalogue of Otto Frei and wondered?

for comparison:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Jaguar Feb 13, 2013

Pic on the left shows the Black before the Omega, Bienne, service.
    [​IMG]

11. Jaguar Feb 13, 2013

Parts - back to me from Omega - after service
    [​IMG]

12. Tom Dick and Harry Feb 17, 2013

HI chaps

I shared you questions about the dial but according to the museum this watch was available with 'a range of dials and tachymeters' the movement confirms it is original to the watch and the watch had the red wax dot intact when I bought it so based on this I think the dial could be original, non the less I love the watch, even though it is not my normal choice

Cheers Tom

13. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 17, 2013

Jag, it seems you always have a very nice set of theme based Omega vintage. This mark II's , the moonphases.........I bet you still have many others? Do you mind to share with us here?

Cheers,
    HP

14. pascs Feb 20, 2013