Forums Latest Members

New arrival - Seamster Aqua Terra

1. vanhessche Aug 12, 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, so first let me introduce myself.
    I'm a 25 year old guy from Belgium working in IT (SAP Netweaver consultant if that rings a bell to someone :) ).
    I have been into watches for some time now and have a small collection. For some pictures of my collection I'd like to refer to a set of photo's on my Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vanhessche/sets/72157633856955930/

2 weeks ago I have acquired a new watch for my collection. Up to now the nicest piece of my collection.
    It is a 38.5mm Seamaster Aqua Terra with the Teak-gray dial:

[​IMG]

I have been looking out for this a long time. The quality and finish of the watch is really outstanding. Much better than anything I was used to up to now.
    But, at some point I am a little disappointed. Something I always do when i acquire a new watch is check its accuracy in the first few weeks after purchase. Just to know if everything is ok.
    To be fair, I was expecting a lot from my new Omega. It is the first watch I have that is a Chronometer and in the past I did read a lot about it's outstanding accuracy of the 8500 movement. But mine seems to be one of the less good ones ... When I was checking it's accuracy the first few days, it was acceptable. Wearing it on the wrist during the day and experimenting with different resting positions over night, I got some +3 or +4 seconds a day. But, the last couple of days, it is gaining more and more. Now it is in the +5/+6 area. I know this is still within the range that Omega prescribes on their website (-1/+6) but is is getting close the the real outer margin of this range. Yesterday i just manually wound if fully and let it rest dial-up for a full 24 hours. When i checked it this morning, it was +7 seconds ... This means out of the range it should be in.

I have been reading about the so called 'settling in' periods. But to me, I'm not sure this is something that exists. Normally the movements that are Chronometers have been through testing periods at COSC. So what would be the point of having this done, if afterwards the movement 'settles' and it's accuracy will change after all..?
    Allthough I have read of some people with watches with the 8500 movement that get better accuracy after some period.
    I did request the official certificate of the COSC testing and it should arrive in my mailbox very shortly. I hope I can see that while regulating at that time it did achieve better accuracy.
    For now, I think I'll just wait and see how it evolves during the next weeks. But if it keeps being around the +6 seconds a day or even a bit more, I am seriously considering of having it regulated to achieve a better accuracy.

I certainly know this is still a mechanical piece, and if i want dead-on accuracy I should get a quartz watch. But to have a watch with a movement like this and getting a accuracy of almost +1 minute a week, to me this is not really acceptable.

Please feel free to give your opinion on this.

Varasc likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Aug 12, 2013

:confused:

This.

If it bothers you that much, have it adjusted / regulated.

3. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Aug 12, 2013

Welcome to the forum. I can only add +1 minute a week is more than fine by my standards.

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 12, 2013

Even a consistent 6 seconds a day is a lot less than a minute a week.

5. vanhessche Aug 12, 2013

I have other, cheaper watches that have variations of +6 and even more. I am perfectly fine with that because the specifications of those movements don't promise any better.
    But this is (at least to me) an expensive watch and as an extra it is a certified chronometer that is advertised with an accuracy of max. +6s. I think it's just a pity that it is really at the outer limit of the given margin. Today, it was even out of that range, so I hope you get my point here.

6. Hijak Aug 12, 2013

+1 on this...

7. ulackfocus Aug 12, 2013

Got a VC that has pretty wild swings in timekeeping. +7 one day, -5 the next, +2, then -4, etc. No big deal.

However, I have a cure for you - buy watches with no second hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  8. Hijak Aug 12, 2013

Problem solved!:unsure:

9. Dablitzer Aug 12, 2013

Can I dibs Dennis' Blue dial connie? ok - "dibs" :p

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 12, 2013

Hello,

I think part of the issue here is that you misunderstand how Omega timing specs are written and used. All of the timing checks specified by Omega are using the instantaneous rate as measured on a timing machine. Yes COSC specs are different, but despite being a COSC certified watch, Omega uses their own specs for final quality control.

So the specs for the 8500 are as follows, all measured over 5 positions on a timing machine:

Delta (difference between the fastest and slowest positions) at full wind = 12 seconds
    Delta at full wind +24 hours = 15 seconds
    Minimum balance amplitude at full wind +24 hours = 200 degrees
    Average of 5 full wind positions = from -1 to +6 seconds.
    "Target" average rate = +3 seconds.

Now these are done under controlled conditions for a relatively short period of time on a timing machine, and Omega specifies 30 seconds for each measurement. So watches within these specs may not perform within these numbers when worn.

For example let's say the average rate is +3, and the delta is right at the outside limit at 12 seconds. It is then possible to have a single position that is well outside the +6 maximum, and still be within Omega specs. So your test that was +7 really could be well within Omega specs.

So although your watch may be running fast when you wear it or check it in one specific position, if you take it to Omega under warranty, they will check it against the specs above on a timing machine, and if it falls in that range, they won't adjust it under warranty (unless of course they do it as a courtesy repair, which is entirely possible).

I know there are many reports of these watches running with quartz like accuracy, and I think that these tend to set people up for performance expectations that is surely not there on every watch that is produced.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

vanhessche and NT931 like this.
  11. vanhessche Aug 13, 2013

Hi Al,

Thanks for your reply!
    This has clarified a lot to me. Thank you for the very clear explanation.

12. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 13, 2013

I bet you're fun at parties.

Just kidding! welcome, come on in.

13. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Aug 13, 2013

i can relate, at least to the obsessive time keeping and measuring

and you're welcome at this party::beer::

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 13, 2013

At work have a clock on the alarm at the back door ,three clocks from back of the office to the front office, 5 clocks in the office i start from each morning (all have never had the same time) then into a car each day with a different clock time each day to clear Ships from all over the world with more clocks that are never the same. All this with two mobile phones in my pocket with two different clock times to the computer i use

All the above times average about 3 minutes difference to my watch which is only 2-4sec out each day.

Ahhhhhhhh Time:whistling:

15. vanhessche Aug 13, 2013

I can understand the 'jokes' about the timekeeping.. But I'm not autistic or whatsoever, just to be clear :)
    The fact was just that I bought this watch with high expectations (yes, also in terms of accuracy), and it didn't seem that these expectations were met in the first place. That was the reason for me posting this topic.
    I am really not checking all my watches / clocks constantly to see if they are all at the same time..

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 13, 2013

Is the watch definitely fully wound? as in did you wind it 40 or so turns before putting it on and wearing it?

17. vanhessche Aug 13, 2013

I just wear it during the day. So after 1 day of wearing it, it should be wound enough i think. When putting it back on in the morning, i don't manually wind it, but I don't think this is necessary after just +-8 hours of rest over night.

18. ulackfocus Aug 13, 2013

Wind it 50 or 60 twists.

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 13, 2013

The winding system is designed to keep a watch wound not to provide the initial wind, when a watch is put on initially from stopped, or if its rested for a day or more I'd fully wind it, then after that the 8 hours on 16 hours off might keep it wound, depends how active you are. But all watches are designed to be fully manually wound first and then worn. The accuracy is achieved when the power reserve is full(ish).

20. ulackfocus Aug 13, 2013

I blame this repetitive subject on the salespeople at the AD. Before letting somebody put on, or even buy, a watch of this caliber (pun intended) the salesperson or some other employee should explain the basics like winding, setting, and even the servicing of a mechanical watch.

..... unless of course it was bought via the internet and a grey dealer. Then you get these little anxieties in lieu of the couple hundred you save (if that).