Forums Latest Members
  1. mjb Oct 31, 2017

I just got my new Seamaster. I don't have a screwdriver that fits these tiny screws, so I took it to a watch repair place at lunch to have them resize it. He had a heck of a time with the screws and the loctite, and so now it's still a bit loose but I don't want to take it back to him. He buggered up a couple of screws and scratched a link. Heck, I can do that, and for free! I think another half link will get it perfect for me.

I have a friend who may have a screwdriver that fits - but if not, does anyone know what size I need to buy? I don't need a whole set (I've got that) just this one tiny thing.

You know... I thought these screws would be an improvement over those nasty pins that were so difficult to remove, but now I'm not so sure.

Thanks!

20171031_125256.jpg
    Shailor likes this.
  2. taxico Oct 31, 2017

why not let the AD/SC/OB sort it out for you when you order the half link...?

3. mjb Oct 31, 2017

Well, I found someone at work who had a screwdriver that fit, 1.4mm, but there's so much loctite on there that I just can't get it. I'm going to have to take it home and put it in a vice and use some tricks...

AD = auth dealer, right? But I don't know what SC/OB stands for.

I've got the half link, I just can't get the stinkin' screws out. I wonder if there's a trick to this, that someone knows?

And of course I bought this over the Internet, so I'm not so sure that the AD will be very receptive to me.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 31, 2017

Just knowledge and skills - no tricks needed. You need to ensure that the screwdriver is of the correct size, and is properly fitted to the slot in the screw head. They normally do not come fitted, so require dressing to get the correct fit to reduce cam out.

Holding the bracelet will help, so use some sort of non-marking vice. You may also want to consider heating the screw to help break the Loctite bond.

Cheers, Al

Petrus, Theognosis, mjb and 1 other person like this.
  5. red1108nyc Oct 31, 2017

hot blow dryer time to soften the loctite.

mjb and duc like this.
  6. mjb Oct 31, 2017

Thanks Al and "red". I will use heat first.

7. Shailor Oct 31, 2017

Make sure you use a high quality screwdriver. Cheap ones will twist at the tip and further mar your watch. I used a Starrett .070"
    screwdriver.

mjb likes this.
  8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 31, 2017

The Omega Boutique will size for you and replace screws that were buggered up. No charge for this service.

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. Honza Nov 1, 2017

Thanks for the advice. I am currently looking for some tools as well. Cheers.

10. Alan_C Nov 1, 2017

I had my Speedy bracelet resized by the OB the other day without any charge.

11. mjb Nov 1, 2017

I still don't know what an OB is. Omega Boutique. OK, figured that out. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys (and gals?) for the advice. I had to buy another set of small tools (Husky via Lowe's) that had a proper size screwdriver in it, and put the bracelet in a vise and used my heat gun to warm it up. I melted the towel that I used to protect it, but holy smokes did it make a difference! The screws came right out, no struggle at all.

Now the watch fits snug, the way I like it, and really feels like mine. Lovin' it!!!! :D

Vulffi, Mozziebite and Shailor like this.
  12. cvera Nov 1, 2017

Glad it worked out. I'm two hours away from a boutique so rather use my own tools as well for something relatively simple like this. Melted towel is much better than an avoidable scratch on the link.

13. timjohn Nov 2, 2017

14. Owlsu Nov 3, 2017

AD = Authorised Dealer
    OB = Omega Boutique
    SC = Service Center

delmarco, ras47 and mjb like this.
  15. 2tone61 Nov 12, 2017

One motto to remember for most engineered parts, Rightie- tightie, leftie- loosie, except for nuts with notches on the hex corners,

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 12, 2017

Why would that be?

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 12, 2017

For identification of fasteners with left hand threads, like so:

[​IMG]

But since not many hex bolts or nuts are used in watchmaking, screws with left hand threads are sometimes marked with 3 slots instead of one, like this:

[​IMG]

Occasionally other marks are used, like a perpendicular notch on this crown wheel screw:

[​IMG]

Often they are not marked at all, so you have to look at the function of the part in question and determine for yourself if it is likely to be a left hand thread. A common spot for left handed threads is the crown wheel - this one is left hand thread but not marked as such:

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

OmegaRookie, alam, Mad Dog and 5 others like this.
  18. M'Bob Nov 12, 2017

Al, I always learn something interesting from you. Who knew?

467372-ea4c87dcb06a24361078df369b6fb012.jpg

Jgb1234 likes this.
  19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 12, 2017

Thanks Al,

My question was meant a prompt for @2tone61 to expand on his useful explanation (mainly for the uninitiated) about LH threads.

After about 50 years as a mechanic/technician/engineer in aviation and marine engineering, and about 5 years amateur watchmaking, the mysteries of the left hand thread are not unknown to me.

And thanks for a great post, it almost deserves a thread of its own.

20. M'Bob Nov 13, 2017

Al, can this be done with a file, or does one need a bench grinder?