Forums Latest Members

New Arrival: Grand Seiko SBGW047

1. NT931 Feb 14, 2015

Just before Christmas, I caught sight of a colleague's lovely Grand Seiko SBGW047. While GS is not a well known brand in most parts of the world, they've been trying to make amends and improve their availability outside of Japan & Asia, for example by opening in NYC. The SBGW is a remake of a classic Seiko vintage, the 44GS.

So when I was done admiring / coveting the SBGW047, I started reading a bit more, and came across several other blogs extolling the virtues of the GS, especially their 'Zaratsu' finishing. Finding one however proved difficult, as it's a LE.

On Friday I read another review on Fratello Watch, and sighed a little. Nope, not happening. However that afternoon that colleague messaged me and asked me if I'd like to buy his SBGW047, as he had bought a new PAM, and was thinking of selling his GS to me, knowing that I had been admiring it. I jumped at the opportunity, and got the watch today!

It's hard to describe the watch in person - it's far more shiny/shimmery in person than my pictures show, and my pictures don't do it justice (far better pictures can be found here). The level of finishing is amazing, and the markers change from silvery to dark depending on the angle.

IMG_8552.JPG IMG_8553.JPG
    IMG_8554.JPG
    And I really like the unique 'katana' shaped case, which is perfectly sized for me at 37.9mm.

Some will undoubtedly find the watch rather sparse, or even austere and cold. However, it's precisely that cool austerity that appeals to me. It reminds me a little of my JLC RDM in terms of it's predominantly silver tones, but has a quiet uniquness to it. For some reason, if I were to describe this watch, the actress Tilda Swinton comes to mind - independent, unusual, and brainy. And under-rated!

Mad Dog, persco, pcdubc and 13 others like this.
  2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 14, 2015

Very nice catch.......
    Grand Seiko craze begun since few years ago among Jakarta WIS. In one of my WIS whatsapp group many members sold their Swiss watches (Omegas, Rolexes, Corums etc ) and switch to Grand Seiko. The Japan vs Swiss high end debates are endless among them, since many GS fans are as fierce or even fiercer than Rolex fanboy. Many compares GS finishing to Patek, Lange and VC level........not to Omega, Rolex & Breitling.
    I admire their finishing quality (which several notch above Omega), but their design not yet sing to me.

citizenrich likes this.
  3. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 14, 2015

Congrats. Very easy to fall in love with the GSs.

citizenrich likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 14, 2015

I know they are well made, but every time I look at one, I feel "meh"...

For whatever reason, they just do not appeal to me at all.

citizenrich likes this.
  5. billyblue Feb 15, 2015

Emotionally this is nothing compared to looking at let's say a DSOTM...but boy does it ooze quality and perfection. Which can not be said about Omega in every way.

Very nice watch, congratulations!

citizenrich likes this.
  6. JohnSteed Feb 15, 2015

Congrats, great buy. As said before it's easy to love these GSs

citizenrich likes this.
  7. NT931 Feb 15, 2015

Thanks folks!

citizenrich likes this.
  8. estrickland Feb 28, 2015

One of my favorite GS. Congrats.

citizenrich likes this.
  9. splee Feb 28, 2015

Congrats. It's a beauty. Simple and clean design with top notch quality finish. The more you look at it the more you love it. Enjoy your GS.

citizenrich and NT931 like this.
  10. TheCaptainOfTech Mar 2, 2015

Congrats on the watch I gotta say it one of my favorites

citizenrich likes this.
  11. Martinibianco Mar 25, 2015

Really nice GS you got there, and nice photos! They're very difficult to photograph with all the sharp angles and high polish.

I have a modern GS but I favour the vintage models, especially those with high-beat movements. Here's my latest acquisition '72 6146-8050, been looking around for one for a long time...

image.jpg
    splee, citizenrich and NT931 like this.