Forums Latest Members
  1. novina Dec 11, 2015

So, I was perusing ebay several days ago and I came across a Seamaster with a two tone dial. From the pictures it had a wonderful patina of creme brûlée. I received it today and it just blew me away. It is gorgeous. To the eye, there is no patins, just a wonderful 2 tone dial with nice indeces. Here is the link for the auction:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Seama...RGjq5PqL5vBPoctsnvc0Q%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Here are a couple of my pics.

IMG_0344.JPG IMG_0336.JPG IMG_0339.JPG

So it is a 2828 9 SC, serial number 16398075 which should place it as made in 1958. It is gold capped with stainless snap in back. The movement is a 471 that appears to be keeping perfect time, at least the last couple of hours, but will need a service before it is worn as there are wear marks on the rotor and the case back. I assume the strap size is about 16mm as the 18mm from my 1960 Seamaster are too big. Also the case is slightly smaller than my other Omega.

So to sum up, Took a chance, did I do ok? Pick it apart so I know where to go from here. I'll start. Generic crown, no logo. From the archives, it appears the 2828 had the clover crown. Is that how it is described.

Anyhow here is the link to the archive

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-...ache=1&cHash=8a45715197ce970ec1dd28c74ae8f4c2

Archive desciption:

SEAMASTER

CK 2828

[​IMG]
    FEATURES
    INTERNATIONAL COLLECTION

DIMENSIONS

CASE

Stainless steel

CASE BACK TYPE

Press-in

DIAL

Luminous (radium), with hand-rivetted gold hour markers and "Dauphine" hands.

CRYSTAL

Armoured hesalite

BRACELET

Leather

FUNCTION

MOVEMENTS
    TYPE

Automatic (mechanical)

CALIBER NUMBER

OTHER

Created in 1955
    19 jewels
    Together with cal. 470 = Omega's first gents' automatic rotor caliber.

TECHNICAL DATA
    WATER RESISTANCE

30 meters

Giff2577 and tpatta like this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 11, 2015

Being a sucker for a seamaster, I like it. As you stated, the crown is wrong but is easily and cheaply corrected. I'm wondering about the hands; they seem too long for the dial design. The ones I have like that, the minute hand touches the inner minute marks. Yours goes to the outer edge of the hour markers. I don't know if that actually matters, though.

Edited Dec 12, 2015
  3. novina Dec 12, 2015

So I am not sure if the hands match this dial. That is why I posted it. I am looking for honest opinions of its originality. It is in need of some repair and restoration. I just need to know where to focus my attention. As mentioned, there is wear on the rotor and case back. Not sure if this has been addressed previously so it needs to be checked. I know the crown is wrong as it is an unsigned replacement. So what about the rest. Need a few more expert opinions.

P.s. I also need a reliable go-to guy that can device this one and a couple others. Does anyone have any suggestions of a watch maker in or around Rhode Island? For those who forgot where we are, think between Boston and New York.

Thanks,
    Rob

4. cristos71 Dec 12, 2015

These are more of a mid size reference IIRC at about 32mm, I think they are just too much on the small side for these days. I bought a similar Seamaster last year, the seller didn´t mention the reference but did exaggerate the diameter. I of course returned it due to its petite size which was a really a shame as the condition was very good.

Edited Dec 12, 2015
  5. ChrisN Dec 12, 2015

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 12, 2015

7. novina Dec 12, 2015

Thanks for the responses. So it looks like a good service and a replacement crown should bring this back to original condition. Than it will find a wearer for it. Either myself or most likely my wife. This one may be just slightly too small for me. I believe I have a 8 1/4 inch wrist size. A regular leather band did not work well for me, had to go with a long version. But service first and we will see than.
    Again, thanks,
    Rob