Forums Latest Members
  1. mbeast Sep 3, 2014

Hi

Thought I'd post a few photos of today's new arrival, still on its original strap!

DSCF5939.JPG

DSCF5941.JPG

DSCF5960.JPG

$_62.jpg

I spotted the watch on eBay very soon after it was posted, but only realised part way through the week that the seller had posted a thread here (http://omegaforums.net/threads/hi-help-please-with-vintage-omega-constellation.13064/) asking for advice and information on the watch.

This gave me confidence, as I could see the seller was genuine and was trying to find out as much as they could about it. I ended up placing a bid and won the auction for £1977 (just over $3200). I think (and hope!) it was a fair price for the both of us.

It had sat in a drawer for over 30 years but it seems to have woken from its slumber in transit and appears to be running well; an amazing testament to the toughness and reliability of these movements.

It's a cal. 501 from 1956 which I think makes it a very early full rotor Omega?

Just a few questions for the experts on here....

1) The watch's original crown has been replaced with an incorrect one many moons ago. From what I gather, the proper replacement with the old shape Omega logo is no longer available and the closest match is this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMEGA-CRO...056538?pt=BENL_Horloges_1&hash=item1c3880e89aPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network. Is this correct?

2) The watch hasn't been serviced for a very long time. Even if it continues to run well, is the best policy to get it serviced anyway? I know that one school of thought when it comes to vintage watches says that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. I'm currently undecided on this one.

3) Finally, when I do get the watch serviced, I take it that I should ask for it not to be cleaned/polished in any way? I do intend to wear the watch only on special occasions; would just cleaning it of the tarnish/general dirt detract from its value in any way?

Thanks for looking!!

Lastatic, JohnSteed, Togri and 3 others like this.
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 3, 2014

Would need a photo to give any kind of answer.

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 3, 2014

Full service even if running accurately.
    Clean case only with soap and water without any polishing.

mbeast likes this.
  4. Mothra Sep 3, 2014

Mbeast, if the Connie experts confirm that is the correct crown, and assuming you are uk based from the earlier posts, its half the price from cousins.

mbeast likes this.
  5. pitpro Likes the game. Sep 3, 2014

terrible threadjack
    jeez the guy just got a new watch

6. Hijak Sep 3, 2014

Lets get this back on the rails...

Mbeast excellent pick up!:thumbsup: Welcome to the De Luxe family...
    Strap Shot.JPG
    Mine is an earlier bumper movement but it still says...Howdee!

Lastatic, JohnSteed, mbeast and 2 others like this.
  7. JM251 Sep 3, 2014

Nice one MBeast. Take the advice from Msnwatch and get a full service right away. And in IMO YG is the best! Just dazzling

citizenrich and mbeast like this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 3, 2014

Perfect strap for that :thumbsup:

Mods likes this.
  9. Hijak Sep 3, 2014

I agree and would love to take credit for this but was the one Dennis sent with it when purchased, thanks Dennis!::love::

Mods likes this.
  10. John R Smith Sep 4, 2014

Mbeast

Congratulations on your new Constellation, a remarkable find and a lovely example. As to the crown - yes, SX42019 is the correct reference but as already pointed out you can get a better deal from one of the established material houses, as the eBay sellers are applying a hefty mark-up. Cousins UK price for this crown is £11.95 plus £2.95 postage plus VAT (20%) gives a total of £17.88. If you get some other bits and bobs at the same time it will all come on the same postage.

I've just put one of these crowns on my own Connie and of course it has the modern Omega logo but I think it is completely acceptable.

mbeast and joep like this.
  11. Dablitzer Sep 4, 2014

Congrats mate! Now give this the spa treatment it deserves!!! :)

JohnSteed and mbeast like this.
  12. mbeast Sep 4, 2014

Hi guys

Not sure what happened with the first response in the thread but thanks for all the helpful comments since then!

Have just ordered the crown from Cousins so many thanks to Mothra and John for their advice on that which saved a few quid. I owe you both a virtual pint!

Seems like the consensus is to definitely have it serviced along with a clean so I shall get onto that right away. The big boys in the UK are Swiss Time Services who are Omega approved but I fear they may charge some serious £££. I also found http://watchguy.co.uk/ who seems to service all kinds of vintage watches and keeps a blog of many of them. I shall enquire with him also. Anyone else in the UK who may be good to try?

Very nice watch Mr Hijak and that strap suits it really well; I think I may use your strap for "inspiration" when I hunt one down to replace the original. Our watches could be twins if it weren't for the different movements ;)

I'll post an update after the watch has been serviced and given the full spa treatment as you say. I'd feel like some pampering after 30 years in a drawer.

Cheers!

JohnSteed likes this.
  13. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Sep 4, 2014

Christian (watchguy), Stefan (on here) and STS are often recommended.

mbeast likes this.
  14. mbeast Sep 5, 2014

Thanks Patrick. Watch shall be on its way to stefan shortly. Watch this space!

15. mbeast Sep 18, 2014

It's back! I'll let stefan 's pics do the talking as mine are rubbish by comparison! Fair to say he's done quite a job...

yturenup.jpg

qyqevubu.jpg

ejyhapu9.jpg

And just one pic of mine with its new buddies...

DSCF5982.JPG

16. JohnSteed Sep 18, 2014

Really lovely!!! :)

17. Dablitzer Sep 18, 2014

Looks great, and fits in well with its new buddies! ;)