New Arrival: A 2853 "Deluxe" Constellation

I’ve had a new arrival this week and figured: Why not share some eye candy on a rainy Sunday?

The story is quickly told: About 2 years ago, I found a little gem: A Constellation 2853 “Deluxe” dial, complete with the cal. 505 movement, hands, stem and flat foot crown. Most likely, the case had fallen prey to a smelter who must’ve been unaware that the dial, the indices, and the hands were made from solid gold, too.

7ba48417-0586-432d-874d-bcc2ce154d53.JPG

I really didn’t want another project, but a 50s deluxe Connie was high on my wish list and checking my parts drawer at home I found a gold-capped 2852 case. Consequently, all I needed was an 18k solid gold 2852. Its regular dial with gold indices, movement etc. would go into the gold-capped case, while its 18k case is shared with the 2853 reference anyway, including the double-branded case back. One watch to finish two projects at once – this point really helped me to convince myself of the idea. 😁

Of course, it took much longer than anticipated, until Norman @X350 XJR kindly reached out last September to offer me just what I was looking for: An 18k 2852 with a sharp case, for which I am very thankful indeed. A few bits and bobs were sourced, the parts went to my watchmaker, and this week, after quite some patience…

IMG_4839.JPEG
IMG_4890.JPG

This is so wonderfully over the top, I can't but adore it. Yes, it's certainly not going to be my new daily, but every now and then when I want to feel just a bit special I'll get it out of it's sterling silver box and on the wrist.

IMG_4841.JPG
IMG_4888.JPG

A few close-ups for the details

IMG_4866.JPG IMG_4867.JPG

The polished outter ring of the pie-pan dial vs. the brushed center makes a noteworthy difference in appearance. As soon as some light hits the dial, there's just a lot going on and the angles and bevels are highlighted magnificently.
IMG_4869.JPG IMG_4871.JPG

The crown one wants to see on such an example
IMG_4876.JPG IMG_4879.JPG

Quite the gift for the loyalty, but then, who works 50 years for the same company nowadays? Norman wasn't sure if the inscription might be a dealbreaker for me. It's the contrary.
IMG_4881.JPG IMG_4882.JPG

Sharp edges
IMG_4885.JPG

66 years ago...
IMG_4883.JPG IMG_4884.JPG

And finally, two of my most beloved pieces next to each other, emphasizing the color difference of rose vs. yellow gold:
IMG_4892.JPEG

Oh, and if you're looking at this picture and think "Get those watches out of the way, I want to enjoy that lovely vintage leather pad beneath them! Where's that from?!" then this is your link:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/watch-strap-bracelet-changing-mats.154190/#post-2129291

Last, but certainly not least: Thanks @OF for making this possible!

The word “stunning” gets tossed around a lot in the watch world but I think it truly applies here. My jaw hit the floor at the first picture. Wow!! And that silver box… Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.

I am falling short of words ...

Very nice YG but the RG seems to look even better.
Beautiful set and interesting story on the get together of ur YG 😀

Thx for sharing

A new arrival alert by @MtV never disappoints. Whenever I think you've climbed the summit, you pull something even more spectacular. You're an inspiration and role model in terms of dedication and patience, you only go for the best of the best, no matter how long it takes.

I'm going back to my bread crumbs 😀

😲😲😲 Superbe !

So now, after the perfect speedy, the hobnails dials seamasters and those crazy ones, you have all your grails 😀 or not yet 😗 ?
What are you up to ?

(Oh and I love the box too 😀)

😲😲😲 Superbe !

So now, after the perfect speedy, the hobnails dials seamasters and those crazy ones, you have all your grails 😀 or not yet 😗 ?
What are you up to ?

(Oh and I love the box too 😀)

Don‘t forget the RG Centenary

A new arrival alert by @MtV never disappoints. Whenever I think you've climbed the summit, you pull something even more spectacular. You're an inspiration and role model in terms of dedication and patience, you only go for the best of the best, no matter how long it takes.

Totally agreed! And the pics are the cherry on top of the cake 😀

To add a little more to the time perspective, my donor watch had been sitting in my hoard for close to twenty years. I originally purchased it because of the 50 year dedication engraved on the back, so glad it found a perfect home!

Thank you all for the kind words! I’m very excited indeed.

Don‘t forget the RG Centenary

Which will fall victim to a few recent purchases and is available, actually. 😁

Beautiful. Now all you need is to find a white gold de luxe connie....

I‘m well aware - the problem is, as far as I know, there’s no WG 7077 for it. 😁

Splendid watch!

Enjoy it my friend, and admire the shiny box 😀