Forums Latest Members

New addition to the collection - Omega Planet Ocean XL

1. cornishgiant Nov 13, 2018

I recently came across this full set omega Planet Ocean XL and decided to take the plunge and it finally arrived today! Full set, everything including original bill of sale came with it. It sure is a lump of a watch but wears smaller thank it looks - possibly smaller than my Mk2 Speedmaster. Its now 4 years old but really has little to show its age aside from some desk diving marks.

I'm going to give it a few weeks and see how it wears before deciding if this is a long term affair or not. Any other Planet Ocean XL owners out there? How are you getting on with yours?

IMG_0961.jpg 14FE6EE0-5020-4142-8A30-5F1E94ADA4C2.JPG

2. dinexus Nov 13, 2018

Can't personally vouch for the size, but that's my favorite color combo in the PO world – especially with the slate grey bezel. Good pickup OP.

superfly likes this.
  3. KeithS Nov 14, 2018

I think this watch looks fantastic in pictures, so much so that I ended up buying a used 42 mm version. After wearing it for a few weeks, though, the matte bezel started to come off as a little lackluster and the orange numerals--while spectacular in the right lighting--were not as eye-catching as I had hoped. Luckily, this is a pretty popular watch and I was able to sell it quickly.

I hope your experience is better!

121.jpg

4. nurseford25 Nov 14, 2018

I love my 42mm. Had it for 6 years now.
    E5F40D82-7DCF-479D-A41C-60AAA07E8DF3.jpeg

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. cornishgiant Nov 15, 2018

Thanks for all of your comments and shares - sorry I only just found them when I came here to update - somehow I didn't follow the thread.....

Anyway, this watch is the only one I have worn since I've had it and really it does wear much smaller than you'd think - it is more comfortable than my Mk2 Speedie. However, it wasn't quite popping enough so after some googling, looking at some old posts here and late night drinking I decided to pop it on a Hirsch Robby in black and orange. I'm quite fat and therefore have quite big wrists and really I would prefer the strap to be a little longer but it is more comfortable than the bracelet and lightens up the whole affair. And the big thing is that I think the black and orange strap makes the black and orange of the watch pop even more. What do you think?

I need to find a decent spring bar tool as mine is junk and now has no fork at the end... IMG_0970.jpg IMG_0969.jpg

ConElPueblo, Foo2rama and Ian_km like this.
  6. Skier Nov 15, 2018

I have precisely the same model and love it. It's certainly heavy and I would prefer it to be slimmer but I still wear it often. It's going nowhere.
    Planet Ocean.jpg

7. Neek U-neek. Get it? Nov 15, 2018

I have the 43.5mm GMT in titanium and it has become my daily for the most part

IMG_7018.JPG
    cornishgiant likes this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 15, 2018

I daylied my 45.5 3313 for years. For a big watch it wears smaller then you think.
    B1AF7ECA-8402-49AF-86E3-2B2C21AF7CE9.jpeg

I do really want a black bezel 2500 42mm with white numbers though.

9. Neek U-neek. Get it? Nov 15, 2018

Beautiful. These POs are such tanks I feel like the GMT is the perfect daily/travel watch

10. cornishgiant Nov 15, 2018

I must say, the Hirsch strap makes it wear even better and it looks ten time the watch, IMO.

My only decision now really is whether to commission a black and orange Toshi strap for it

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. Daval Nov 15, 2018

I have a similar PO xl that I usualy wear on nato straps during the summer time. However in winter I always go back to the bracelet. 489A022E-B88A-4A09-80CD-FC9068305A95.jpeg E775F3AC-8824-4B78-9244-4E2E273FD863.jpeg

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 15, 2018

Most wear bracelets in summer... but too each thier own!!

13. cornishgiant Jan 7, 2019

After owning this for 2 months, it really has begun to make its size felt, and not really in a good way. After a period of ill health I’ve gone back to work and it just isn’t wearable with a formal shirt.

Today I have my midsize SMP on and it just wears effortlessly. So I think I’m going to keep my MK2 speedmaster for casual and find some way to chop this one in somehow for something I’ll wear more comfortably at work.

A local pawn broker/ jeweller has a newish sub date so I might try to do a deal, though I guess they will want quite a bit more cash on top!

14. Modernism Jan 7, 2019

I know where you're coming from, and I own the Mk1 2500 and Mk2, but the original gets much more wear because it's so thin in comparison. I keep looking at the Mk3, but can't bring myself to part with the 8500, and keep changing my mind. I know if I sell the Mk2 I will regret it, as I think it's more wearable than the new one only because it's not as blingy. I do like the 8800 but it's much like the new Sub, It shines too bright on the wrist. And sadly the London I used to know is not what it was, and I don't want these ceramic bling beacons on my wrist anymore. Second hand Subs are priced with an average of 1 to 2K over RRP in London due to supply and demand.

15. tgcarl Jan 7, 2019

The larger one at 45mm would no doubt be too big for me. I had concerns after purchasing my 43, but everyone who's seen it says it looks perfect. Works Christmas party to New Year gala dinner, I'm finding this to be the sweet spot for me at least.
    I remember when I first put it on, having never owned an automatic before the weight was satisfying to be honest. Now though, I don't really even notice the weight,
    I'm not a collector, this is my only watch & due to the price for me the only thing I ever do is be very careful with it. I won't be takng it diving that's for sure, no matter what it's rated at.