Forums Latest Members

New 38mm Speedmaster build quality and opinions?

1. Snoopy007 Aug 24, 2017

Has anyone seen/tried these in person? I was blown away by this picture and official promo video

[​IMG]

but photos from the official website look a bit different and not that good looking in comparison with this photo above. On that one finish and details looks superb, and given the fact that I am non EU resident I probably could get one for less than 3000$ after some discount at AD + tax refund so this watch becomes interesting to me. Also there is wrist size, mine is 6.5 - 7'' so 38-40mm is my limit for sports stainless steel watches.

For those who had tried them on and seen in person, what do you think about general build quality and finish. I've read a lot of complaints on bracelets of earlier Speedmasters, some even mentioned that they had better experience with other a lot cheaper brands. It may be a deal breaker for me if bracelet feels like sub <1000 watch. Does Omega evolves this design in terms of finishing every year, or this is exactly same bracelet from decades ago?

Until I see and try one in person, what do you guys think? Thanks in advance, sorry for my English mistakes, it's not perfect :)

edit: One more question, previous model had 14.7mm thick case, does anyone know if that changed with this one? I hope it is a bit slimmer.

2. José9 Aug 24, 2017

Actually I find it quite awful, it does not look really good in person either, but it's personal.

Snoopy007 likes this.
  3. rcs914 Aug 24, 2017

The chronograph register windows are oval? And the dimples on the bezel? I'm going to go with not my cup of tea either.

José9 and Snoopy007 like this.
  4. Snoopy007 Aug 24, 2017

Yup, I'm not fan of those subdials eather but it's not that visible on this one as it is on cappucino which has contrasted brown subdials. I will definitely try it, but my AD still doesn't have one.

This is previous model it has round dials

[​IMG]

it looks ok to, but I don't know if this new one is better finished because or something like that. If they are completely same, I might search for this older one.

5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 24, 2017

Hey @Snoopy007

Welcome to the OF :)

First off: this style of Speedmaster is not for me or to my taste.

However, in the correct context, it really is a lovely watch and I was surprised in person - it looked a lot better than in the pics, and it gained some cred in my books. I have a friend who recently got one, and (context) it suits her 110% (I think she also chose the variant wisely - her words for the choice of this amongst the other variants : "Its sporty"). Naturally her being VERY happy and me just loving Speedmasters, I had it in my hand a few times and really checked it out (her wrists are small, so I couldn't get it over my hand to try it on unfortunately).

What I can say is : it's as solid as any Speedmaster. The finishing is first class. Its heavy with a bracelet. The bracelet is reminiscent of those from the 80's yes, however my immediate thought was that it is much more appropriate to this style of Speedmaster then the Speedmaster Professional - its the first time I felt a Speedmaster with this style of bracelet looks good. The bracelet appeared to me as two-tone steel. I didn't get the feeling that was from brushing / polishing contrast but I may be wrong : it looks to me that not only are the outer links mat, but they are quite noticeably darker, and that was apparent under normal light (but as I said, I am most likely wrong). It has a different clasp (the dual-locking clasp a la aqua-terra style). It most definitely did not feel cheap, more something I am unused to. Chrono works silky smooth as one can expect. I felt it is a great watch, and everytime I see my friend who has it, I always 'check it out' :) I gained respect...

IMG_5908.JPG

Above it is pictured on my better half. She has tiny wrists, and I felt this fitted her really really well...and looked good enough to entertain the thought of getting her one...however...

What are my thoughts? This is a ladies watch. If I were to get one for her, I would most likely opt for a First Omega In Space, as its roughly the same size, a little bit more classic and less glam (again, context), and I could wear it should she decide she doesn't like it...

Below it is next to a REAL watch ;) Or at least one that I can get over my hand. Quite an awesome his-hers combo methinks...
    IMG_5917.JPG

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Edited Aug 25, 2017
  6. Shailor Aug 24, 2017

Side by side, the difference is striking. My Speedmaster Professional comes back from Omega next week. I'll post photos. Looking at the two, the original is way better looking to me.

Snoopy007 likes this.
  7. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 24, 2017

In case you missed it : the side-by-side is not with an original Professional, but with the modern bigger 44mm coaxial Speedy.

Snoopy007 and Foo2rama like this.
  8. ras47 Aug 24, 2017

I expect the build quality is exactly the same as with the other Speedmaster models. Sure felt solid when I tried one on. I've only seen one with numbers on the dial and I cannot get used to that. Plus, on my 7 3/4" wrists this model is just too small. I feel like I have a quarter strapped to my arm.

Snoopy007 likes this.
  9. sevenhelmet Aug 24, 2017

I'm not a fan of this one... it looks too much like other, cheaper watches, and deviates too far from the traditional Speedmaster look for my liking. Honestly it looks like Citizen teamed up with Chris Ward to design it for Omega, and that overrides all of my favorite features of the Speedmaster line. This model has got too much going on, and I'm especially surprised they went with a white date window on a black dial for a Speedmaster, which traditionally doesn't even have a date complication.

But to each their own.

Snoopy007 likes this.
  10. Shailor Aug 24, 2017

I did notice that. I was referring mainly to the clear definition of the hands, dial and bezel.

Snoopy007 likes this.
  11. Ssunnylee24 Aug 24, 2017

::facepalm2::

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 25, 2017

I think they are good watches, with great finishing. I will say my 40mm speedy date feels small even against my vintage 35-36 mm pieces. Knocking 2mm more off is really not my cup of tea. For ladies they are perfect. For the right guy they are perfect at least in the grey version.

But I've said this before the oval date window is what really makes this a ladies watch. If it had a square window the watch would look at more masculine.

13. Snoopy007 Aug 25, 2017

Thank you everyone for great responses. My main concern was build quality, I should definitely check out that watch in person. As I said, some of the ''real life'' photos doesn't do it for me, but that press video looks insane. There are always going to be some compromises, those oval dials are not most beautiful thing on this watch but I don't see grey and blue version as female watches at all. I'm 5ft9, athletic build, with probably average wrist of 6.5 to 7 inch depending on how I measure wrist, temperature, bodyfat etc. I don't like too big watches and for my ''main'' steel sports watch I want it to be versatile so it can be dressed up for shirt and suit. Steel Daytona 116520 would be perfect watch for me but prices are insane so that is out of the budget range for now. This 38 Speedy wasn't really the first choice, but I think it is good value for the money given the fact that I could get one from Italy where they are cheaper anyway + standard discount + tax refund equals under 3k dollars for first serious watch. Submariner is my grail watch too, but it is almost twice expensive + it's on limit with size due to supercase. One more another option for versatile ss watch is El primero 38mm, great watch, but no bezel at all.

I would definitely buy this speedy without even trying it if dials where round and case measurement under 14mm but I have to see it in person.

@eugeneandresson Thanks for detailed review, only I didn't understood, is that yours friend watch or yours wife watch? Is there any chance you could measure lug to lug measurement, thicknes of case and diameter of dial only so I can compare it to some of my watches until I see it in person?

Thanks again everyone, I really appriciate help, sorry for my bad English :)

Couple of more real life photos

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 25, 2017

It's a friends watch...she lives in a different city :)

Snoopy007 likes this.
  15. Snoopy007 Aug 25, 2017

Ok, thanks anyway :)

16. _Agemo Aug 25, 2017

PhilF and Snoopy007 like this.
  17. Df13 Aug 25, 2017

I love a smaller watch, but, yeah, there is something about the ovals that makes these seem a bit feminine.

Have you considered one of the outgoing racing models?? They're relatively small and cheap and one of my favorites, and there are lots of dial options.

[​IMG]

Saad_z and Snoopy007 like this.
  18. Snoopy007 Aug 25, 2017

@spidey.batman123 I considered reduced for a while, but I realised that I really do not like speedmaster pro classic look to much. Speedmaster love came with some limited edition models, I really like ck2998, snoopy, new 60th anniversary, but those are much expensive alternatives and only 60th comes with steel bracelet which is a must for only serious watch in collection. But I really do not consider that right know because it is much more expensive and probably unattainable. For second speedmaster CK2998 both sedna gold and steel are beautiful to me.

@Df13 I used to like them some time ago, but I like details on new collection better. They really look ok to me, except those stupid oval dials.:mad:

19. Shailor Aug 25, 2017

The Speedmaster brand is Omega's calling card. I really don't think they'd cut corners on the build quality of anything that bears that name. The brand damage would be too great.

Snoopy007 likes this.
  20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 25, 2017

346764-430caed406e96305a0bdeaa465ad142d.jpg

Always the Speedy Dates from before the racings.

WatchShopping, José9 and ras47 like this.