Forums Latest Members
  1. GlenM Apr 11, 2015

My teenage son has a liking for mechanical watches (he has a silver Omega pocket watch and several low-cost mechanicals of various makes).
    He has just bought a Longines crosshair dress watch. We think it dates to the late 60's. Condition appears to be very good, and it is keeping very good time.
    Has he chosen well? Does anyone have any further information on the age / model of the watch? IMG_8288.JPG IMG_8293.JPG IMG_8301.JPG

rhetoric, noelekal, Difeer and 2 others like this.
  2. ulackfocus Apr 11, 2015

If the serial number is 13,784,991 it's from late 1966 or early 1967. Other than the strap being a little too large for the lugs, looks like he did well. Have it serviced before wearing it regularly!

GlenM likes this.
  3. GlenM Apr 13, 2015

Thanks for the date confirmation, we thought it was from late 60s, but were'nt sure on the exact date.. Yes, the strap is too large - I think it uses a non-standard size. Should be a challenge finding one!
    A service would be a good idea (I'll also get my new Seamaster serviced) - just have to wait until Christian at Watchguy is accepting more work :)

4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 13, 2015

A attractive Longines in a nice size and with a great Longines movement. An appealing watch! Thanks for posting the photos.

GlenM likes this.
  5. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Apr 13, 2015

Very cool that your teenage son has an affinity for these type of watches. I recently had a discussion with a friend; he argued that watch collecting and interest in watches in general will disappear at some point because younger generations just rely on phones, tablets etc for the time. I argue that there is an innate attraction to the precise mechanics of a fine watch, plus they just look cool. Quartz movements didn't kill mechanical watches and I doubt smart phones will either. Nice Longines!

6. GlenM Apr 14, 2015

I suspect that watches will go the same way that camera appear to be going. With camera, phones have virtually wiped out the market for low-end compact cameras. But, there is still a healthy market for DSLRs and high end compact systems.

I think we will end up with the majority of people using their phones to tell the time, and a minority of discerning, stylish people (like us :) ) buying new and old high quality mechanicals.

AAAKK likes this.