Forums Latest Members
  1. Tennos Nov 19, 2015

2. abrod520 Nov 19, 2015

Looks nice, crown isn't original but that's not a big deal. Bracelet is a big plus.

Something about that bezel doesn't smell right to me, though I don't know why. Maybe because it's in such good condition and I'm used to the way they look with a little bit of wear.
    All in all, this should fetch a nice high price! ::popcorn::

3. Dgercp Nov 19, 2015

Not an expert, but serial seems too high for a 1964 I think.
    Also, can't really tell if it's the light but is that the correct black rehaut, or is it silver?
    No lume in the chrono hand and it seems a bit too long.
    Not sure if other hands are service replacements?

4. novina Nov 19, 2015

Looks too good almost. Bezel bothers me also, too clean. Also a couple of the parts of the movement are slightly off color to my eye, not sure if lighting or I am actually seeing something there. I await the more knowledgeable on this one.

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 19, 2015

A few issues noted already, biggest being the movement # imho. Plots are a bit tired, but I have a similar one and they probably look a lot better on the wrist. Mine looked like this in pics but looks great in person.

What's wrong with the bezel?

The endlinks don't look like they fit well though. Might be worth seeing if you can get a pic of the underside of them off the watch. Fakes exist, so best to be cautious if that's an option.

Good luck if you go after it. Don't forget to factor in a service.

JohnSteed likes this.
  6. novina Nov 19, 2015

I mentioned the bezel just because it looks too new. No wear . Crystal looks brand new or polished. For a 50+ year old watch. It just looks so perfect. I mean it is very nice. The case looks so good also. Perhaps that is why I am a bit suspicious.

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 19, 2015

Well, it's unlikely a first owner watch. It has had some work. In th first pic though, the way the light shines on it, it doesn't look unblemished...

8. novina Nov 19, 2015

I see what you mean about the way the light hits it. And yes it is worn a bit. As I was looking around here, I found a 69 Speedy for sale here. It is very close in condition to this watch if not better. So I guess it all depends on who owned it and what they did or did not use it for.

9. mozambique Nov 19, 2015

Bezel looks fine to me, I suspect the first pic in daylight is more honest. The other ones look like they have been cleaned up in photoshop. The ad says 'full service'. Would check on the bracelet date if you are a purist. Serial # looks okay, apparently EW serial numbers are a bit erratic with 1965's as high as 25 mill. Hour hand looks newish? Would want to see straight on side view of the lugs to see how polished. End links look okay to me. They do float a bit, which would explain what looks like poor fit.

JohnSteed likes this.
  10. Tennos Nov 19, 2015

Abrod520 says it should fetch a nice high price. I'm thinking that is an understatement. 7 hours into a 10 day listing and it is already close to $5,000. Anyone care to guess the final sale price?

11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 19, 2015

If someone here picks it up and is concerned about the movement number being more aligned with a -65, I may have a caseback I'd trade. Just sayin'.

I guess $7800 or so. Probably plateau at some point until the final minutes. Less would be better.

12. mozambique Nov 19, 2015

With bracelet, #6, nice bezel and apparently serviced, I would think higher $9k to $10k

13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 19, 2015

Fair point, forgot about the bracelet and ends.

14. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 19, 2015

Watch has problems, primarily the movement number/serial which as that looks unusual, makes me scrutinise the rest - it makes me suspicious that it is not an original example.
    The plots are "Algae" coloured, not a desirable trait.
    The hands look too white, and I wonder if they are unoriginal.
    I would like to see a shot of the chrono reset, to make sure there is no creep.
    The appearance is not one I value especially over the median.
    The bezel is very good, and the bracelet would sell on its own for quite a lot, as would the endlinks.
    So we have about $3500 in parts right there, possibly more in today's heady market.
    The seller is a reconized and established one, in fact in the distant past I bought a watch from him - happily.

http://speedmaster101.com/serial-quick-reference-to-78/
    That is my idea of which serial belongs in which reference.

Here are two 105.003 for comparison. Unfortunately (for me) the OP bezel is better than mine:
    P7180009.jpg

15. Tennos Nov 20, 2015

It's easier to find Jimmy Hoffa's body than #6 end pieces. That could be what drives the sale price.