Forums Latest Members
  1. Cosd Mar 18, 2017

Outside of any watch friends, how often have you seen a Speedy on someone's wrist?

I for one have never seen anyone wearing any Speedy which I find quite astonishing being how popular they are.

2. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 18, 2017

In the wild ? once.

b-16707 likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 18, 2017

Once here.

4. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 18, 2017

Recently, and outside of the local OB? ;) Zero. Growing up, two different P.E. teachers wore them, but that was 1970s and 80s.

5. ossfm Mar 18, 2017

I saw one at a Ford dealership. The sales guy helping us bought it on vacation in the Caribbean.

6. tyrantlizardrex Mar 18, 2017

I can't... what?

::facepalm1::

Edited Mar 18, 2017
  7. abrod520 Mar 18, 2017

I think it's a perfectly fine discussion topic, even if it's one that would surely piss off Dennis...

I've seen one Pro on the wrist of someone who was pitching our company on some kind of software product, and one 9300 on my friend's father's wrist at a party once.

8. tyrantlizardrex Mar 18, 2017

Not just Dennis... I'm thoroughly confused by a topic which seems to be... have you seen a Speedmaster on the wrist of someone you don't know.

Just not sure what the point is... and I'm up for a pointless post as much (if no more so) than the next guy ;)

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  9. jimmyd13 Mar 18, 2017

It's a very popular watch with engineers ... I've probably seen a dozen or so in the wild.

Mad Dog, trackpad and emilio like this.
  10. abrod520 Mar 18, 2017

It's not one of our more heavy-hitting posts for sure, but fun enough. I get inordinately excited when I recognize the watch on someone's wrist, it's nice to see something familiar that isn't another Apple Watch or fashion watch, and a Speedmaster would be really cool to spot.

11. Cosd Mar 18, 2017

The post isn't meant to upset anyone!

I'm always looking at people's watches, and just surprised I've never seen one. For example, I work in an office with over 2000 people, I seen Tags, Breitlings, Rolexes, a Patek, various Omegas, but never a Speedy.

There's a good chance I wouldn't know the person wearing one if I saw them, but I wouldn't hesitate to start a conversation.....

thomas213, Apollo13, Archer and 3 others like this.
  12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 18, 2017

Can you imagine a giant lizard with no focus? My gawd what level of destruction could a monster like that spread?!

I saw one in the wild. A 20 something kid who recognized my Ed white and stopped me. He had on a modern speedy.

13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 18, 2017

Every time I meet @repoman for lunch. :)

Once at the astronaut get together that was at the San Diego air and space museum.

Once at my local farmers market.

It's pretty rare to see an Omega, let alone a speedy. I'd love to see another person wearing a Ploprof. I think the conversation would be much better than someone wearing a speedy. Unless of course they were wearing a Gemini 4.

I'm always on the lookout. The airport is another good place to look, usually as I walk past the folks in first class seating.

Mad Dog, repoman and Jwit like this.
  14. RJwatches Mar 18, 2017

Seen one once on holiday, being used as a diver :mad:

15. jimmyd13 Mar 18, 2017

Well now ... two weeks ago, I got talking to a guy just because he was wearing a Ploprof; today I arranged to meet up with another chap to see (and possibly buy) his "1957 speedmaster"; but, most impressive of all ... on Tuesday I stopped off at STS and managed to not leave tongue prints all over their display cabinets.

nixf6, Mad Dog, Paedipod and 5 others like this.
  16. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 18, 2017

Since getting into Omegas myself 2 years ago, I have seen two construction contractors wearing Planet Oceans, and one car club friend wearing a newish Seamaster. No Connie or Speedmaster sightings yet...

17. Tritium Mar 18, 2017

My vote for tolerance on other's threads that one might feel useless :thumbsup:, I particulary like the OP question:

I've seen the speedmaster professional in the wild just two times, but the reduced seems to show quite often.

mikechi22 and EatMan like this.
  18. AveConscientia Mar 18, 2017

The forum is clearly having Dennis withdrawals

patrick1616, Jwit and kkt like this.
  19. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 18, 2017

I keep my eyes open for interesting watches and rarely do I see anything "special" outside of the occasional Rolex or Seamaster... certainly never a Speedie in the wild. I attended an NAWCC "mart" a few times, in a place packed with watch and clock collectors hardly anyone seemed to bother to wear anything special.

I had one guy at one of those meetings ask if my watch was "one of those modern copies" of a WW2 US Navy watch, when I told him it was real, he seemed totally amazed that I would actually wear it... outside! in the dust and the cold! DAMMIT was I mad or something! Sadly I think a lot of collectors are just that... collectors.... not wearers or enjoyers...

I used to take heat at vintage motorcycle rallies for actually loading my old bikes down with camping gear (and spouse! when she wasn't on her own wee bike) and riding to the rally... serious mileage in all weather... obvious madness, treating like they were... well.... tools to be used.

one of the things I like about this forum is that the people here actually seem to use their watches in the real world. I can't see the use in owning stuff, vintage watches, bikes, cars etcetera if you're not to to use it as intended.
    scan0010.jpg

20. Tritium Mar 18, 2017