Never say never, Nekton!

I have promise to myself (7 inches wrist) that I would never by again a watch with skeleton hands, HE valve, above 41mm and thicker than 13mm. Forgive my English writing, please.

So, I get the Nekton!, why? How difficult to answer my own question, where is the hidden power of this watch? such a power that can blew away my pre concepts.

I went to three AD´s separated by 20 min walking, so the walk can calm down enthusiasm.

I try the same watches in the three AD´s, Seamaster diver 300m, the Nekton, Seamaster 300 bronze gold and the new speedmaster 3861 sapphire.

On the firs AD emotions were too strong with the Speedy and the Nekton.

I conclude that I do not like the tone/color of the bronze-gold (I was looking for the blue one, but out of stock). The bracelets on the divers, let me be aggressive, horrendous: non tapering, adds a lot of weight to the watch and the 90´s design too complex too much elements.

I still can´t believe how comfortable is the new speedy (in leather strap), sincerely can´t understand how they do it, where is the trick. The Nekton was so aesthetically pleasant that I need to calm down and walk to the next AD.

Second AD: test the same watches, but in the walk, I decided it must be a diver, I will buy that speedy for sure in the future (I have a speedy Schumacher already, smaller but more uncomfortable).

I focused on the divers, and again the Nekton grows and grows, all the doubts about the bezel becomes positive things. Again, I do not like the bronze tone of the 300, this watch in the blue version would complicate my already altered feelings. In this second trial I confirm that the Nekton was comfortable and correct size, my biggest warm. I reconfirm that the standard diver (in black) has too many shining all around, the ceramic bezels shines, the white numbers IMO have too much presence, the dial shines…as I can´t read the date without glasses is a not useful feature, breaks the symmetry and maybe the harmony of the dial.

A walk of 20 minutes to the third AD (OB): test them all. They let me go outside to the natural light to check the Nekton and its bezel, uff, what a watch!

Has the Nekton cheat me? hypnotize me? how could I lost all my prejudice’s?

An intent to answer:

1. No date is a must

2. The dial is dark grey mate, it becomes grey then can become totally black. The raised waves are polished so they shine (not always!) and adds some ´hypnotic effect´ too the poor observer…me. It is in general a less shining dial.

3. The amount of red is perfect, works!

4. The bezel: well, here we enter in personal taste zone. I like that it is not ceramic that I found too brilliant on the current model and do not like the ´presence´ of the white numbers they have too much protagonist, you are always seeing them. Nekton bezel shines much less, the numbers are more ´integrated´ being same material. The background texture is beautiful, this detail makes me like it more than Yachtmaster or even the AC (Peter Blake) Seamaster’s.

Ok, as this has been written in a first day ownership, all the above is not solid, but I can advise, if you are looking for a diver 300 give a chance to the Nekton.

I have promise to myself (7 inches wrist) that I would never by again a watch with skeleton hands, HE valve, above 41mm and thicker than 13mm. Forgive my English writing, please.

So, I get the Nekton!, why? How difficult to answer my own question, where is the hidden power of this watch? such a power that can blew away my pre concepts.
Your new watch is great: thanks for sharing it with us. Besides the merits of the watch itself, which you have described so eloquently, it's the enthusiasm that you have conveyed that has really brightened the day for me!

Please also allow me to say, in all sincerity, I found your English writing both charming and powerful. As I am somewhat of a student of these matters, may I ask what is your native language?

In the meantime, wear that Nekton in good health!

Your new watch is great: thanks for sharing it with us. Besides the merits of the watch itself, which you have described so eloquently, it's the enthusiasm that you have conveyed that has really brightened the day for me!

Please also allow me to say, in all sincerity, I found your English writing both charming and powerful. As I am somewhat of a student of these matters, may I ask what is your native language?

In the meantime, wear that Nekton in good health!
thanks!!, I write it natural...no Google, I am from Argentina. (Spanish)

You describe it far better than I ever could - I wasn’t looking for one as such when I went into the AD as I already had a silver dial 300m but the Nekton caught my eye more than several other watches on the table . I’ve been enjoying it ever since and the silver dial has gone!
Enjoy it, it’s a great modern diver

@foxtrot , you have proved there is still a long way to go before computer translation and AI can match what a human mind can do - which is just great, imo. And thank you for that interesting insight. Have a nice evening!

Beautiful watch and it is amazing how seeing a watch in person and trying it on can change your impressions of what you like or don’t. Will need to keep an eye out for this model

Congratulations & thanks for sharing your story! No date is definitely the way to go! Just going to share my similar watch!

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story. It’s fair to say your English is better than my Spanish will ever be!

it’s a great watch, and I like it on the rubber as you have it. Wear it in good health 👍

Great choice 👍
I tried it on some time ago and i thought it was the nicest of the current Seamaster 300m lineup. Wears really good on the rubber strap.
Solid caseback, no date, some splash of colours and not too shiny like the ceramic versions.
No picures do it justice.
Congrats and have a good time with your new piece! 😉

You describe it far better than I ever could - I wasn’t looking for one as such when I went into the AD as I already had a silver dial 300m but the Nekton caught my eye more than several other watches on the table . I’ve been enjoying it ever since and the silver dial has gone!
Enjoy it, it’s a great modern diver
so nice!, for sure you are better photographer than me!!, enjoy the royal Nekton!

Congratulations & thanks for sharing your story! No date is definitely the way to go! Just going to share my similar watch!
see that on the OB, it is terrific, you have a keeper!

I'm really enjoying the no-date look on that styling. First I've seen of such no-date Seamasters and it's appealing.

I have the Nekton on the rubber strap too. For me the Nekton and a couple of other current models represent a return to form for Seamaster design after a long lull where they just weren’t that visually interesting, at least to me. The textured bezel and wave pattern dial bring back those characteristics that made the Seamaster so compelling in the late 90s and early 2000s (including the blue dial Bond).

I have the Nekton on the rubber strap too. For me the Nekton and a couple of other current models represent a return to form for Seamaster design after a long lull where they just weren’t that visually interesting, at least to me. The textured bezel and wave pattern dial bring back those characteristics that made the Seamaster so compelling in the late 90s and early 2000s (including the blue dial Bond).
YOU HAVE TWO NEW FRIENDS...

Excellent post that reflects precisely what I felt when comparing Nekton to the black, blue and white versions … purchased mine on bracelet, then changed to rubber but am really enjoying the look and feel on the Black/Grey Nato.

Excellent post that reflects precisely what I felt when comparing Nekton to the black, blue and white versions … purchased mine on bracelet, then changed to rubber but am really enjoying the look and feel on the Black/Grey Nato.
ohhh....that NATO...perfect for ´sir Nekton´...