Forums Latest Members
  1. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 22, 2016

Went out for dinner last night and the place was packed, so we decided to sit at the bar and order some appetizers instead. Struck up a conversation with the couple next to us and noticed his watch immediately in the dark room. He said his father bought it new in 1969 while serving in Vietnam...he was very proud of it and knew it was called a Big Triangle. Of course we geeked out and I had to take a photo. Looks like he must have replaced the dial at some point, but a very nice looking example. He plans on passing it down to his son.

IMG_0844.JPG
    Darlinboy, gemini4, watchknut and 8 others like this.
  2. watchlovr Oct 22, 2016

If the dial lume is mint green and hands mustard yellow them bith could be original.

3. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 22, 2016

the hands are like a deep yellow...like brownish yellow.
    Of course I was in a bar so it was hard to see the details and this was shot with iPhone and flash on with watch on a white napkin. Here is a shot w/o flash

I also noticed when the flash went off the dial glowed.

IMG_0843.JPG
    Edited Oct 22, 2016
  4. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Oct 22, 2016

That's awesome! I feel like I never see interesting watches in the wild, so I live vicariously through stories like yours. Cheers

ahartfie likes this.
  5. rollingrevolver Oct 24, 2016

Dial looks like it might have been original to the watch actually...not uncommon to see the lume differ with the hands in the way that it has, and it looks consistent with the lume in the bezel.

Whatever the case, I love such stories...especially when the current owner either was the first owner or it was handed down to him from a family member. And yes I've not yet seen a BT I didn't like either..;)

6. dialstatic Oct 24, 2016

It's not uncommon for old tritium markers to still glow a little when exposed to intense light. It just fades again really quickly (matter of seconds on my early seventies dials).

I've always thought that someone smarter than me could figure out a way to assess the age by measuring intensity falloff.

Waltesefalcon and ahartfie like this.
  7. Seacow Oct 24, 2016

Love those SM 300......I had a chance to hold a sm300 and a rolex 5513 together.... I ll pick SM300 anyday....it just feels better..::rimshot::

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  8. Waltesefalcon Oct 24, 2016

"I also noticed when the flash went off the dial glowed."

The lume on my 67 Accutron will glow for a couple of minutes after it has been in a lighted environment.