Forums Latest Members

Never Judge A Book By Its Cover Nor The Watch It Seeks.

1. Rjd1 Jun 2, 2013

I love watches and have a very personal collection including a vintage and contemporary pieces. I do not profess to be an expert just someone who enjoys, looking, researching, buying and wearing a watch. What I can't abide is a 'snob' someone who on first impression decides if you can afford a particular timepiece. Let me give you an example, I recently walked into a rather smart jewellers, by chance I had noticed a Bermont Victory in the shop window. When I entered the shop a well dressed assistant looked me up and down, and then ignored me. After about five minutes of browsing the display cabinets a young shop assistant asked me if she could help me. I asked her if I could take a closer look at the Victory. Hearing this, the well dressed assistant jumped in and introduced himself as the manager adding, 'the watch cost £11,995 and is for a serious collector'. I asked him what he meant by that, and he replied 'someone who can afford it'. Not wishing to react to his loaded words I thanked him for his time and left the shop.

A week later I visited the shop again, this time in a suit and wearing my Planet Ocean rather than my faithful Luch beneath a sweatshirt. Clearly the assistant did not recognise me. He commented on my watch saying he too wished he had one. When I asked if I could take a look at the Victory he could not be more obliging. He even offered me a drink, "perhaps sir would like a glass of champagne or maybe a coffee?" I sat back in my chair thought about it and said "mistake, never judge a book by its cover". He gave me a puzzled look and before he could say anything I bid him a good day. As for the watch, indeed it's beautiful, is it an investment - probably, would I buy it - probably not as it would always reminded of the 'snob'. In any case, there are too many other watches to enjoy and as such I have an appointment on Tuesday with Christopher Ward. My wife has already told me that she has no doubt that I will be leaving with something 'special'.

I wonder if you have had a similar experience of a 'snob' when looking, researching, buying and or even wearing a watch?

2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 2, 2013

That story reminds me of something...

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 2, 2013

I think most of luxury shop attendants are trained that way. They try to find clue whether someone will be prospective buyer or just a time waster. While this is not right in principle, I still can tolerate their behavior, because that's how they make money.
    That's why I prefer to visit watch stores who I already make friends with the owner or manager. They know my budget and capacity and have no trouble bringing nice Patek, JLC or Breguet out just to be perused and talked about (not yet planning to buy :) ). They also appreciate the watches (especially the Omega vintages) that I brought to their store because they shared passion on horology.

4. kendrick Jun 2, 2013

Being younger, this happens to me all the time when I enter higher end retail stores. it has gotten to the point where i am now accustomed to and prefer browsing unattended and undisturbed.

Sales attendants assumptions make it easier for me to spend my money online.

5. Rjd1 Jun 2, 2013

I'm thinking these sales assistants have made a big mistake when it comes to you. Happy shopping.

6. Rjd1 Jun 2, 2013

In my experience not all stores are the same. During the London Olympic Games I visited the Omega Boutique in Stratford dressed in shorts, a scruffy Team GB tee shirt and wearing an Autavia. The staff could not have been more accommodating despite being rushed off their feet with the influx of spectators to the Games. They offered me enthusiastic conversation, a coffee and an extended invitation to come back. Six months later I returned and purchased a Railmaster. Planning to return to buy a Omega Seamaster GMT Aqua Terra Chronograph. A lesson to be learnt by some sales assistants, don't judge a book by its cover!

image.jpg

The sublime Omega Railmaster Chronograph Watch - 2812.52.37, powered by the
    Omega calibre 3205.

Privateday7 and kendrick like this.
  7. ulackfocus Jun 2, 2013

Rjd1, I have one question for you: are you a member of WUS by any chance?

8. Rjd1 Jun 2, 2013

I'm new to this forum stuff and have no idea what WUS is. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

9. ulackfocus Jun 2, 2013

It's a forum called Watchuseek - WUS for short. I was just wondering if you were a regular there on the Public Forum because this kind of thread is common on that site.

10. Rjd1 Jun 2, 2013

No, I am a complete novice to this kind of forum. The only other beginning the Christopher Ward forum which I too joined this week. I must admit I'm really enjoying reading the posts and learning more about my passion. This week I will be buying two more watches and after that I will be travelling to Poland on th trail of something unusal from that part of he world. Would welcome any suggestions.

11. ulackfocus Jun 2, 2013

Post pictures of whatever you get. ;)

12. Rjd1 Jun 2, 2013

I have done some research and have my eye on at least two watches. I will post if I buy.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 3, 2013

In some stores I toy with them as they try to spot what watch I have on....I keep my hands behind my back, and often catch them trying to see what I'm wearing....

Not all stores are like this though, and I find personally that the big chains tend to be the worst. There is one store in Toronto that I have bought a couple of watches from, and they have been very accommodating in the past. When there is a GTG we often head there to browse, and they have spent hours with us pulling things out of the vault for us to look at - watches that they know none of us can afford.

The guy that manages the store is a watch enthusiast, and if you find a store where someone who works there actually loves watches (rather than just loving the pay check) then you will have a much different experience.

Cheers, Al

Privateday7 likes this.
  14. ulackfocus Jun 3, 2013

I like my AD. I can go in wearing ratty jeans and a sweat stained baseball hat. Come to think of it, I usually do. :p Maybe I'm due for some better casual clothes.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 3, 2013

I agree - I never "dress up" to go watch shopping. I just wear whatever I am normally wearing at the time. In the summer that will be shorts and a golf shirt...

16. Nick F 05 Jun 3, 2013

Be as you are, never put on airs

17. Rjd1 Jun 3, 2013

I should be lucky, it's more the case in the UK to fend off the 'summer rain'. Have fun.

18. Rjd1 Jun 3, 2013

I make regular trips to London Ontario via Pearson. I would welcome any suggestions as to what watch stores to visit in Toronto.

19. ulackfocus Jun 3, 2013

Rob / Donut lives near there. Maybe he'll drop by and make a recommendation.

20. Rjd1 Jun 3, 2013

Thank you.