Forums Latest Members
  1. Mancity1956 Jun 9, 2014

omega 1.jpg omega 2.jpg

omega 3.jpg Hi,
    I have a Omega Seamaster, not in a very good condition.

I am hoping to get it sorted to a good standard within a year as I want a decent quality omega without spending thousands to wear daily.

Leslie omega 2.jpg omega 1.jpg

2. Mothra Jun 9, 2014

Leslie, you are very welcome to the forum - I'm hoping you are aware that watch has some serious issues that mean it may not be the best example for your plan?

Quite aside from the dial damage, I don't think the Seamaster and Geneve text belongs together - so its already a redial which will destroy any collector value; the dial has T for tritium on it, but the hands aren't lumped and so don't match; the second hand is missing; someone's hand scrawled unadj on the movement and the rotors rubbing on the case back. The case has also been well polished....

All these things can be corrected but its going to cost more than a Seamaster in much better condition.

Hoping I don't offend, offering advice to you freely....

3. Siac Jun 9, 2014

Mothra, your knowledge and Sherlock skills are beyond doubt.. can you help me to spot more?
    I sussed out Seamaster and Geneve, but what do you mean by "hands lumped" and "rotor rubbing"?

Thanks in advance.

4. Mothra Jun 9, 2014

Foiled by autocorrect again. That should be 'hands aren't lumed'. I'm still learning like most of us, but If you look at the case back interior you can see a ring where the autowind rotor has been grinding - this matches the high spot on the rotor itself where the plating has been ground away. Its not bad, and can be fixed, but it doesn't suggest a well cared for movement and could indicate more parts required.

5. Mancity1956 Jun 10, 2014

Thanks Mothra,
    I am not after getting it up to a concourse standard just a nice clean correct Omega Seamaster.

Leslie

6. Mancity1956 Jun 10, 2014

Mothra,
    I have looked at the faces for the Geneve, and I cannot find one with Seamaster on it.

the face on mine is it a non omega item, or is it genuine.

Is there a way I can check the date of manufacture.

sorry for the stupid questions but as you have probably deduced I am not a watch person.

But I have always wanted a normal Omega.

leslie

7. ChrisN Jun 10, 2014

Hi Leslie

Mothra is giving you good advice but, looking at it from another point of view, it's not all bad. If you want a watch to wear every day and are happy to bring this one to a better standard then it would make a project, assuming you want to do it yourself.

Serial numbers are here and show yours as a 69 watch:
    http://chronomaddox.com/omega_serial_numbers.html

I can't read the code inside the caseback but, it looks like a 166.070, see here:
    http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=14368

The dial is not good but, if you search ebay, you might come up with a correct dial for this model. Second hands are available from Cousins in the UK but, maybe not exactly for this model. You can also look on ebay. Do you intend to service the movement yourself?

In the end, Mothra is right that you could buy a similar better watch for a hundreds, not thousands and so, it may not be worth it to you. Good luck whichever way you go.

Chris (a Red Devil for 45 years but, had to respond with your avatar!)

8. Mothra Jun 11, 2014

Leslie, your dial is probably the genuine dial that came with the watch, but someone has painted over it incorrectly - you can never put the original finish back, so you have two options- pay for a second redial (which still won't be completely correct, they never are) or keep watch on ebay for a replacement dial using the case ref Chris quotes above. Good luck!

9. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Jun 11, 2014

Pretty scruffy looking watch with a face only a mother could love. But with a redial and some work on the movement it should be ok for another 45 years. like others have stated it has lost some of its originality but thats the way the cookie crumbles. The other two choices are stick it on ebay as it is or use the 565 movement in a watchco sm300. Have fun with it.

10. Mancity1956 Jun 11, 2014

Chris,
    Thank you for the advice, when I find out what it looked like originally then I will start on her.

I am afraid I am not dextrous enough to strip and repair an Omega Swiss movement, although I do strip and repair old motorcycles :eek:

If the face on this watch is correct I would look at restoring her (professionally) , but according to Mothra the Seamaster logo or the Geneve logo are incorrect.

I know there are several hundred models to choose from but I just love the look of this model.

Leslie CTID and sorry about the Redness, hopefully next time you are in Manchester you will visit Eastland's and this may cure you of your affliction. ;)

11. Mancity1956 Jun 11, 2014

12. Mothra Jun 11, 2014

Leslie, I took a look at the ref number and the link ChrisN gave above and it looks good to me. His link shows you what the dial should look like:

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=14368

You can use the 166.070 (or 166.0070) case reference to Google for photos of the dial; although gold coloured, I think this shows the dial well:

http://www.antiques-atlas.com/antique/gents_omega_geneve_1970_automatic_watch/as170a092

You'll notice this one has the same rotor scraping as yours, but much worse, its a pretty common issue....

13. Mancity1956 Jun 11, 2014

Mothra,
    Thank you for that, can the rotor scraping be fixed and if not does it effect the performance of the watch.

Would there be a silver case option for this model as well as gold

Thanks Leslie

14. Mothra Jun 12, 2014

Yes, it can be fixed as part of a usual service - the indications of the problem remain, but will get no worse. If you search on your case ref you'll find plenty of stainless steel versions, the first couple I found were also redials which was why I used the other one in the link as it looks correct.

15. Mancity1956 Jun 12, 2014

Horizon ,

watchco sm300. ?????

Leslie

16. Mothra Jun 12, 2014

17. ChrisN Jun 13, 2014

Hi Leslie

Tell us more about the bikes! There's an open discussion forum as well and there are a few old car drivers (me for one) and old bike riders on this forum. I am also much more comfortable with proper sized bits to work on. Squinting through a loupe is hard work.:(

I have sent you a private mail as well - look in your account area.

I would go to Eastlands, for a laugh, but, as a Man U supporter I have obviously never been to Manchester ;):rolleyes: [Is it just me that can't delete these icons after accidentally choosing the wrong one?]

Cheers, Chris.

18. Mancity1956 Jun 14, 2014

Mothra,
    At best I have the it/computer skills of a retarded luddite, I can just about negate eBay and answer emails, but as for researching the net it is all a bit mystical to me :D

PS I am really grateful of all the advice I am getting from the forum members

Leslie

19. Mancity1956 Jun 14, 2014

Chris, just a bit of advice if you do go to Manchester, don't wear a Man u shirt in certain parts of the city ::jumpy:: it may lead to problems :whipped:

Leslie

20. Mancity1956 Jun 20, 2014

Mothra,

[​IMG]

Mothra, I have taken your advice and I have searched the tinternet, and I cannot find a face the same as the one above.

does this mean that someone has created the face to incorporate Seamaster and geneve

Leslie