Forums Latest Members
  1. chanbar Sep 4, 2018

Was on Instagram and the ad for the Nereide GMT Kickstarter came across the thread. It looks really nice for a microbrand. I have yet to venture into the GMT world, but am thinking of jumping in to check it out....i am a sucker for impulse buys when it comes to watches. 42mm, GMT, ETA 2893-2 Elabore with top grade regulation.....now to sleep on which option. 41e39ad8278c7d1e63c6540031141167_original.jpg 5540e8bb6946139c85b2d1ca53ed6756_original.jpg e7328e9d3ca9c044916762995ba1c7fe_original.jpg 57411be3142ac998c9a9f727358c7445_original.png

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 4, 2018

It's clearly not a Top grade movement, so for one I would need some sort of explanation of what "Top grade regulation" means. To me that's somewhat of a dubious term to use...

Foo2rama and chanbar like this.
  3. chanbar Sep 4, 2018

I wasn’t sure about that either! I caught a small note about it

4. time flies Sep 4, 2018

With that 2893-2 the gmt pairs with the quick set date. If you regularly change zones the gmt hand often by default becomes your local unless you hack. Something many do not wish to do.
    On the other hand, if monitoring another zone for business or personal (as I do), it doesn't seem to matter as much. I find a jump hour hand easier/more useful for frequent cross zone travel. Anyhow. Thanks

have fun
    kfw

chanbar and Paedipod like this.
  5. Davidt Sep 4, 2018

I like some of these microbrands but with others I can’t help but think “wow an oyster style case, with a Pepsi bezel, gilt dial and gmt function - how has no one thought of this design before!?”

6. chanbar Sep 4, 2018

I don’t travel as much anymore, but do keep track of other zones for business and personal reasons. Still trying to learn more about the GMT function. Been wanting one, but have been hesitant due to costs and me not knowing how to use one properly!

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 4, 2018

Doesn’t this break forum rules?

Davidt likes this.
  8. chanbar Sep 4, 2018

I apologize if this post broke a forum rule

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 4, 2018

There is a rule against tribute watches. Ie clones.

10. chanbar Sep 4, 2018

gotcha. i saw about fakes/replicas and wasn't sure if this counted towards it since I have also seen other posts about Kickstarter with tributes/homages. Apologies for breaking the rules. :thumbsdown:

11. Davidt Sep 4, 2018

It’s a grey area and what I was alluding to in my post.

There’s a fine line between taking pointers from certain parts of another watch and an outright copy. For me, the Pepsi in the op strays too close to being a copy.

chanbar likes this.
  12. time flies Sep 4, 2018

Please, what specific watch is this referencing? What design cues? Or is it a bit of this and a bit of that?

have fun
    kfw

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 4, 2018

It’s a full Rolex GMT master clone. From the case the exact same bezel colors to the color and placement of the wording on the logos.

chanbar likes this.
  14. time flies Sep 4, 2018

I'm pretty sure a gmt master has a different hand set. I'm pretty sure a gmt master has a 2.5 mag date oculus. I'm pretty sure a gmt master uses at least some round indices. Am I wrong? I'm not really a rolex guy. It does have a coke bezel. Thanks.

have fun
    kfw

15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 4, 2018

And exact same root beer bezel and exact same all black bezel. The visual weight of the markers from a distance is identical even if slightly different. From 10 feet you’d have a very hard time telling it from a GMT Master.

Clearly this watch is made to look like a GMT Master.

Davidt likes this.
  16. time flies Sep 4, 2018

Ok then. I'll be getting my eyes checked.

have fun
    kfw

17. rcs914 Sep 4, 2018

I would say that the Steinhart GMT Ocean One is a full Rolex GMT clone/homage, but this at least comes in under "heavily inspired by, but not quite a clone" but that is solely due to the dial/handset differences. It's definitely a grey line.

Mouse_at_Large and chanbar like this.
  18. time flies Sep 4, 2018

You got that right 20180730_102548.jpg right and so is this one 20170613_162726.jpg
    have fun
    kfw

Davidt, Foo2rama and chanbar like this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 4, 2018

You don't have anything to apologize for IMO, so don't sweat it. This forum takes a particularly hard line on watches that look like other watches for some reason, and as watch forums go, it's a bit out of the ordinary in my experience.

You can be sure that if these companies were straying "too close to the line" that Rolex (or whoever) would be jumping all over them very hard. The entire Swiss watch industry "borrows" design elements from each other, because at the end of the day unless you are going to really break the mold and go off on a serious tangent as some small high end brands have done, there's not much new to be designed. This is one reason why companies (cough, cough....Omega) are trotting out recycled designs from their past, and counting the cash as it rolls in.

People think nothing of posting a Pepsi Seiko diver, even though it uses the "sacred" Rolex colour scheme on the bezel. And would this rule prevent someone from posting this watch?

[​IMG]

It's clearly copying the Rolex look, but since it's not a smaller brand (or a sport watch, which tend to more closely guarded here) it goes by without a notice...I've posted it before...

For me no brand is immune to the intellectual laziness of taking "design cues" from other brands, which is why I believe the Moser "Swiss Icons" watch hit the nail on the head in parodying what most brands are doing or have done at some point:

https://monochrome-watches.com/introducing-h-moser-cie-swiss-icons-watch/

For some it hit too close to home, but this is the reality of the industry. As far as I'm concerned, as long as the watch is not trying to be something it really isn't (in other words it doesn't have Rolex on the dial) it's fine. Yes it's lazy and it profits off other's work, but so does the whole industry...

Cheers, Al

sah, Speschalist, autumnwind and 7 others like this.
  20. time flies Sep 4, 2018

So I don't have to get my eyes checked?

have fun....I'm done
    kfw

chanbar likes this.