Forums Latest Members
  1. cgaites Mar 18, 2019

Hi all,

This is probably a dumb question, but here goes anyway. I'm in the market for a new Omega, and have been all over the place trying on various references. A couple of weeks ago I went to my AD to try out a pre-owned watch they had in stock, and also ended up trying on the new reference that replaced it. To my surprise I really liked the new reference a lot, and better than the watch I originally came to look at. Long story short, I didn't end up buying that day, and in the meantime have done a bit of research on the new reference that I liked. Turns out that the reference is available brand new from various grey market vendors and from re-sellers for ~$2250 less than the retail price of the watch (~$4.5K vs. ~$6.75K retail). That is with the Omega warranty in most cases. I'm not being specific because this is not intended to be a stealth WTB post.

Here's my dilemma. I'd really like to give the AD the business. They've been great helping me with service my pre-owned Omegas over the years, and treated me very well when I purchased another, waaayyy less expensive watch from them a year ago. However, I don't feel strongly enough about it to pay $2250 more for the watch. So, time to negotiate. No problem, except said AD is a 90+ minute drive away (on a good day).

So, my question (finally) is, has anyone ever tried to negotiate as substantial discount over email? I'd like to shoot the manager an email offering something like $250 more than the grey market/re-seller price. Is this poor form? Anyone succeeded with such a tactic?

superfly likes this.
  2. fastfras Mar 18, 2019

I do not see a problem with negotiating via email. I have sold a number of units where I do not have face to face contact until it's pick up day. It's monday morning, usually a slow day in any sales department - as my sales manager used to say - "they're not Picasso paintings" - to which I would reply - "a deal's a deal"...

3. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 18, 2019

Not a problem as far as I am concerned as long as the AD replies :). For some people it’s probably a preferable way of doing things as it ensures both sides can have time to think and give considered responses or arguments without emotion. Of course this can work both ways if you are a very tactile person and good at getting people on your side it may be better to do it in person.

4. Waxtactic Mar 18, 2019

As my old sales manager used to say "you never get the sale unless you ask for it. Worst they say is no and you go in a different direction."

Edited Mar 18, 2019
  5. Bushido Mar 18, 2019

I've done exactly this with the AD I purchase my Omegas through. I had found what I could get the BNIB version for via purchasing from one of the larger online dealers with complete OEM warranty so it was a direct 1 to 1 comparison. I then contacted the AD, stated what I was looking at and asked if they could come close to this price.

AD responded, wanted my business, and was able to come within a few hundred dollars of the grey dealer. That was good enough for me and the AD got my business.

Waxtactic and Linzer like this.
  6. harbwe5 Mar 18, 2019

I would call them rather than e-mailing. If for some reason you don’t have their phone number, I think it’s fine to e-mail and say you’re interested and that you’d like to discuss via phone and ask they contact you. I think you have a compelling perspective and you’re more in control telling the story vs. them reading it. It’s also really easy to say no or simply ignore an e-mail. With a phone call you are in a position of strength, you’re talking to them live, legitimately interested and can make it clear if they meet your price you’re willing to do a deal now.

Most of the watch purchases I have made (and several friends, too) are over the phone. What happens if the AD comes back and asks for $1,000 over the grey price? I’d want to be talking live to negotiate vs. sending an e-mail. In my personal experience ADs were much more willing to talk price, especially a low price, over the phone than in writing. In all cases they honored the prices discussed (even when I said I needed to think about it and call them back).

vampsv3 and Foo2rama like this.
  7. rainking Mar 18, 2019

I’m sure you’ve already recognized this but don’t forget the tax. Sometimes I forget about it when doing these mental calculations and deals in my head, as dumb as that is. That is, if your option for gray market is the final price delivered to you. If the AD offers it to you for, say, $4750 before tax ... don’t know where you live but let’s say it’s 8 percent. That’s $380 in tax plus the extra $250 you’d pay vs gray market. So really it’s a $630 difference.
    I got my Speedy Pro gray for $3500 delivered (pretty normal for that watch with the right sellers). That’s $1750 off MSRP but actually the MSRP in CA where I live is more like $5722 or thereabouts with tax. Of course you can usually negotiate a discount but it’s not usually big enough to make up for it. Still a big gap but obviously depends on the watch and how far the dealer is willing to go.

8. cgaites Mar 18, 2019

Thanks all for the responses. Regarding the taxes and shipping, the price comparison in my OP is all before tax/before shipping. Shipping tends to be free on purchases this big these days. The tax however seems to vary dramatically depending on the seller. Guessing that has to do with where the sellers are domiciled. Who knows. Either way, I've got an Excel spreadsheet started to calc and compare "out the door" prices. I'll draw up my email once I have all the relevant info at hand.

Have a great day

connieseamaster likes this.
  9. texasmade Mar 18, 2019

I've tried over email with a couple of AD's (not for Omega though, it was when I was buying my AP RO). I've found that they don't like discussing prices over email and asked me to call them to discuss discounts.

Evitzee likes this.
  10. PhysicsIsFun Mar 18, 2019

I've had similar experiences with HR; they prefer phone calls to email.

11. Evitzee Mar 18, 2019

Dealers don't like email negotiating, they don't like an electronic record floating around as it may come back to haunt them. Just pick up the phone and talk to the manager and state your case.

12. cgaites Mar 19, 2019

Again thanks all. Good points about calling vs email. Makes sense that an AD wouldn’t want documentation of a big discount in writing. I will call and use my email as a script. Will let the forum know how it goes.

13. Omegafanman Mar 19, 2019

I agree - it is better to have a chat and make a case why they should drop the price...plus keep any deal confidential. It sometimes helps if you are buying more than one item or doing a part ex... easier to hide the total discount.

14. alikara Mar 19, 2019

Better to call them opposed to emailing and try to speak to the owner if you can. Be prepared to make a deal during the call so know what your max is going in.

15. hbombkid Mar 19, 2019

Good luck with the call and just be honest.

Tell them they have done great work on service work and would love to buy a new watch, but deals with full warranties are out there from trusted sellers.

I know not all ADs are the same but most should be able to give you 30% off.

Also you will need to think what if they come down a little bit not completely down to trusted seller prices. Is that enough for a relationship or cost is number one factor, only you can answer that one.

16. tjs Mar 20, 2019

How did it go?

17. cgaites Mar 20, 2019

I got voicemail when I called yesterday afternoon. The AD called me back this morning, but I was in a flight for a business trip. Haven’t yet had time to call him back. Will give it another shot tomorrow.

18. cgaites Mar 21, 2019

Well I have an update. I ended up connecting with the AD over the phone, and while he was willing to come down in price a bit, we just couldn’t get to a number I was comfortable with. The offer was 15% off and some TBD complimentary accessories once I came into the store. I just couldn’t do it knowing I’d be paying $1000 dollars or more over then grey market / reseller prices.

Oh well. A bit frustrated that it seems so difficult to buy through an authorized sales channel at market price. Fortunately, I also today came across a well priced pre-owned example of an older generation of the same model with a documented recent service and remaining Omega warranty. Think that is probably the way I’ll go.

thelinendial likes this.
  19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 21, 2019

As above have mentioned calling is better than email.

In Australia I once rand a AD the day before end of financial year and got a great deal ;)

20. Evitzee Mar 22, 2019

Think you are being unreasonable to think an AD is going to match a grey market price. 15% off is standard for most stock. A 1000 dollar spared is not unreasonable to me, but it is your money. Just remember, you never know how many hands your grey market watch went through or how it was handled. Some are never touched, some are buggered with.

thelinendial likes this.