Forums Latest Members

negative buying experience from chrono24?

1. nonono Nov 9, 2018

So there's a first time for everything, and after numerous successful purchases from chrono24, I just got burned for the first time. I received the watch and it was not working properly. I'm still working on the situation with the buyer and the website, pending a solution. Will update as more info trickles in.
    I was wondering if anyone would like to share negative purchase experiences on the website and how you reached a solution to your problem (if a solution was reached at all)
    I think this could help in future purchases made by forum members, as they would know their options when shit hits the fan.

2. Njnjcfp88 Nov 9, 2018

I’ve used C24 several times; haven’t had an issue with neither the watch quality or delivery to date. My only one close call was a Swiss dealer who used Swiss Post which was snail mail ...one month!

3. nonono Nov 9, 2018

Holy smokes, that one month wait must have been excruciating! I hope no one misunderstands me, in that I am not trying to slander c24, only raise awareness as to what can be done once you're in the hole with a particular purchase. I've had several very positive experiences with them as well.

Heres a summary of my experience. I bought an omega from an online seller in Lithuania ::facepalm1:: and when the watch arrived, the chronograph wasn't working properly. Since I didn't use their "trusted checkout" scheme, c24 told me that there was absolutely nothing they could do about it, and that it was between me and the dealer in Lithuania. They even told me the only option I had was to involve the police. Main problem with that is that I am on a separate continent and coordinating that would be a nightmare to say the least. I was given the option by the dealer to return the watch, but I wasn't comfortable sending it back, and if something were to go wrong, I'd be out of a watch and my money. So I told him to split the repair costs with me 50-50. He wasn't willing to do that. So we're kinda deadlocked in a stalemate at the moment. I am kicking myself for not using their trusted checkout, but I've never used it before on any of my purchases and they all worked out fine. Plus they charge 4.4% for trusted checkout so I wasn't really keen on doing that. I was just a bit surprised that they (c24) were totally unwilling to do anything to help the situation.

4. Shabbaz Nov 10, 2018

I'm not sure why you are burned. You did not use chrono escrow (or PayPal) because you did not wanted to pay the extra fee. But then you know you are taking a risk and you have to accept when it goes wrong. If you dont want to take risks, use escrow or PayPal. They protect the buyer quite good is my own experience. Did you buy banktransfer?

Secondly, the dealer said you can return the watch. I can understand there's a risk involved when sending it back, but I can also understand that the dealer is not willing to pay 50% of the repair. Not sure which country you live in but I expect Lithuania labour costs are a bit cheaper.

Thirdly, when I buy a watch without service history I always keep in mind the cost of a service.

And last, chrono only helps when you use their escrow service (I think).

Anyway, good luck!

jumpingsecond, Dan S, sdre and 9 others like this.
  5. nonono Nov 10, 2018

Well I feel burned because I asked the dealer beforehand if the chronograph and all the functions were working properly and he assured me that everything is working fine. First problem.

As a buyer, under lemon law I have the right to either ask for a refund OR ask for the amount that it costs to repair. I only asked for half, which amounts to approximately 300euros, which isn't a lot considering the watch cost me 3000+ euros. If the seller was dishonest enough to sell a faulty watch, he could very well be dishonest enough to say that he didn't receive the watch once I've sent it. Second problem.

If you read reviews online, there are countless people who have used the escrow service and still not received the product as described. And out of those, there are a percentage of people who still didn't receive the necessary help from the website in refunding the purchase. There are numerous cases where people ship the watch, and the seller says he/she didn't recieve them. The c24 staff also have a notorious reputation for being extremely rude, and I have first hand experience with that too. Third problem.

Like I mentioned earlier, I am not trying to slander the website, or make this about me. I am instead, trying to get people to share their negative experiences, and how they overcame them to find a solution, in the hope that it can help someone know clearly what their options are in light of a unfortunate event like this in the future.

murph and Millenary Watches like this.
  6. Millenary Watches Nov 10, 2018

Bought a brand new 116610. The seller said he would ship the item the same day. Then came up with excuses that the shipping company had a "black-out" with their system and could not deliver the watch. Waited 2 weeks.. Nothing happened. Started putting pressure, and on the third week, he sent pictures of the watch, tracking id number etc. Turns out, he didn't have the watch and waited to get one. Took roughly 3 weeks while in fact, it should have reached me in a couple of days. Not a huge issue, believing I had been ripped-off for several weeks. Still frustrating but happy it sorted itself out in the end..:oops:

7. nonono Nov 10, 2018

Wow those 3 weeks must have felt like an eternity. For me the shipping process is the most nerve-wracking time. Well I guess you're still considered lucky, as long as the watch was received as advertised. Thanks for the contribution :thumbsup:

8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Nov 10, 2018

Can’t blame C24 for the negative experience, as they are merely a platform to connect buyers with sellers (and make money off of the transaction, like eBay)...they do not really do anything more. You dealt directly with the seller, not C24.

Edit : naturally they offer an escrow service, but that was not used here.

Edited Nov 10, 2018
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 10, 2018

Your issue is the seller not Chrono24 ( minute you didn't tick the Trusted Checkout button this happened. )

Who is the seller ?

Dan S, sdre, albertob and 1 other person like this.
  10. nonono Nov 10, 2018

The seller has a shop by the name of watch planet (Lithuania). Granted I didn't click the Trusted Checkout option, and I feel kinda stupid for that (rest assured it's gonna be the only way I buy watches on chrono24 from now on). Let's flip it around then, has anyone gone through trusted checkout and had their money returned after buying a faulty watch?

I asked the staff at chrono24 when I called, if they've ever managed to retrieve funds sent via trusted checkout for a fraudulent purchase. They weren't able to give me a yes or no answer. They kept repeating the textbook "sorry sir we don't have that information for you" compared to the website, I am definately more disappointed in the seller, as I asked him on more than one occasion if the watch was working properly, and he assured me it was.

11. Khamenman Nov 10, 2018

I have used C24 for 4 times already. Luckily they are all good experience. Shipping is good, communication is good, and the watch itself is also good. But you are right, having good experiences so far does not mean I will always have good seller in the future. Always do the homework to check the seller, prefer seller who has physical store, and the one that open/share their store reviews.

12. Khamenman Nov 10, 2018

I think in your case, the main problem is that the seller already gave you their words that the watch is in working condition, including the chronograph. They should stand by their own words

13. nonono Nov 10, 2018

Yes you are absolutely right. In the beginning I was furious with both the seller and the website. However, after thinking through with a cool head, I realized that chrono is just a facilitator for deals of online watch sales. However, having said that, it is the sellers responsibility to ensure that the delivered product is as advertised. The main issue I have is that the product was not delivered as promised.

Therefore I thought I'd reach out to see if anyone had similar experiences that they would like to share. however I think the better question to ask in this case would be how many people (who used trusted checkout) chrono has actually helped, to get their refunds after a crappy purchase.

Khamenman likes this.
  14. nonono Nov 10, 2018

Agreed, however did you know, that they don't provide trusted checkout for all countries? South Africa for example.

15. Khamenman Nov 10, 2018

I have read several threads on WUS about this. As long as you send back the problematic watch to the seller, C24 will refund you the money

16. nonono Nov 10, 2018

Did they checkout using the Trusted Checkout scheme too?

17. Khamenman Nov 10, 2018

Yes, they used trusted checkout. If they didn’t use one like your case here, C24 can’t do much

18. wristpirate Nov 10, 2018

You didn't use the C24 Trusted Checkout, so it is no longer their issue they cannot do anything to intervene and assist you. There is a reason they charge the escrow fee it is like insurance for the buyer for situations like this.

Outside of C24 then you are relying on the sellers reputation and feedback. And some crossing of fingers.

If you are now uncomfortable with the seller then keep the watch and pay for the repair yourself. A repair bill is better than no watch at all.

19. Millenary Watches Nov 10, 2018

For sure! And as time passed, I more and more started believing I had been scammed, but the dealer had a shop and everything so I saw it as unlikely and kept my hopes up:p

20. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 10, 2018

As others have parsed out the OP's issue well, I won't add anything. However, I will (again) say that I find Chrono24's willingness to allow private sellers to remain anonymous to be both indefensible and outrageous, and I generally avoid using the platform for that reason alone.

RawArcher, sdre, nonono and 3 others like this.